cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is full timing really?

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Just a question about terms: If you are living in a shelter on land you own, how is that considered "full timing?" I have noticed people using the term more and more loosely, to the point of people claiming to full time even if they just live in the same park for years.

I consider full timing to be a lifestyle choice that includes a certain amount of travel. If living in a structure on land and never moving is considered full timing now, then I guess everyone is a full timer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I originally posted the above in the thread about full timing in a tent, then thought maybe I should post it as a separate topic. So, what do you RVers think?
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one
48 REPLIES 48

slinnjr
Explorer
Explorer
Permanent vacation

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
The meaning of full-time RVing aside, there are sacrifices no matter what we do, although we may consider the cost to be worth the benefit.

I currently rent my house and enjoy the extra income but will be selling my house because I am aware of the emotional and mental freedom that comes with downsizing our lives. It is a trade-off no matter what we do.

When I left Colorado to move to California I was living in a large house in Colorado, and generally the more space you have the more things you will buy to fill up that space, and I had a ton of stuff in that house.

The majority of that stuff I either sold, gave away, or threw away, and it felt so good to downsize my life and get rid of all of that stuff. I have a European friend who thinks that Americans are pack rats; he says that Americans buy things because they are on sale and not because they need them.

For me, freedom is the spirit of living and traveling in an RV; but maybe thatโ€˜s just me. There is a Buddhist saying which goes โ€œown no possessions that none may own you.โ€ What we own owns us because we have to give it our time, attention, money, etc. Even if we pay someone, as I have, to take care of things for us, we still give it our concerns.

As I said I am not trying to define โ€œfull-timingโ€ just talking about mental and emotional freedom. Although I do think that my full-time RVing is a way for me to recapture my carefree youth; back in the 1970's when I had a VW van with no seats in the rear, just lots of pillows, and I often lived in that van going wherever.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
For purposes of these Forums, "Fulltiming" means any one living in a so-called "recreational vehicle" all the time. Whether it moves or not.

But let the Hair Splitting begin! :B

Yeah, I think to be a full-timer involves some travel.

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
I think if you live in an RV of any type 24/7 and you have to go out once a week or so and dump your black tank and deal with freezing or leaking water lines then you are full timing regardless of how often (or not) you move or whatever else you own.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh boy.....silly season has arrived early. It usually starts after New Years.

I'll play. We don't full time. We long time. We still have a stone house & we spend about 7 months a year in it. The RV gets 5 months worth of use but does not sit still. It usually covers at least 15,000 miles a year.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ByTheRvr
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
Several years ago,I was told by "full timer" that I could not be considered a "full timer because we still own a house. So,in that persons mind,we are not full timers,even though we have lived and traveled in our fiver for 7 1/2 years!

We think we are fulltimers,therefore,we are. (We still own the house,and the rent collected has really helped the bank account.)

That happened to me too. The person actually got quite irate at me for daring to own a house and travel full time in my RV. :R You never really know what's going to trip someone's trigger, do you?

If you live and travel in your RV but still own a stick and bricks home that you rent out... your a fulltimer with an investment. Some own stocks, some own bonds and some own property or any and all of the above. I call them... lucky :-). I'm not really fond of labels but I've been called worse things than a fulltimer.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider living in any type of "RV" fulltime: 24/7/365 even if it is a trailer that is set up semi-permanent.

I know some folks say that being on the road a certain amount of time is considered fulltime and some don't consider living in a campground in a trailer fulltime but...its just a matter of opinion!

If someone lives in an RV even it it never moves then they are fulltime "something". If they live in a house or apartment part of the year...well it gets complicated.

I don't worry about it! Everyone is free to call it what they will.

However insurance companies sometimes do mind and consider someone fulltime if they spend all of most of their time on the road or in an RV park...check with them to see what they say.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
I thought Fulltimmining meant you worked on your own RV and it took Full Time

MM49

:B:B:B

LADEEZE AND GENTLEMEN...I THINK WE HAVE A WINNER!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
I thought Fulltimmining meant you worked on your own RV and it took Full Time

MM49

ontheroad101
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
I love the label "Gray Nomads". May have to name my Class A that when we buy it and go FTing when we retire.

When we worked at Walt Disney World as part of my job I drove a chef that was from Australia to different events. We got to talking about our full time RV lifestyles , and she said if we lived in Australia we would be called "Grey Nomads".
Super Wife Linda, me Bob &
(Blazer & Lilly's ashes on board)
2014 Forester Class C, our Blog http://www.bobandlindasrvtravels.blogspot.com/

Sea Eagle Fishermen & Kayak

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Why do we need this label defined?

Because it creates confusion when terms are poorly defined.

Example: If someone presents themselves as a "farmer", I automatically am thinking a bare minimum of 40 acres and more likely much more land, tractors, barns, etc... I'm also thinking they do it for profit. If 10 mintues into the conversation after a great deal of confusion, it turns out they consider themselves a farmer because they converted a 20' long flower bed on the back side of the house to grow a dozen tomato plants, it's frustrating and missleading. This is why we use the term gardening. Not because gardening is bad or a lower quality activity but because it make communication easier.

So yes, I think using clear terminology is valuable.

While there is nothing wrong with the various lifestyles, this is how I see it breaking down (and people may transition into various catagories over time, so you aren't locked in):
- Full time: Rig is ready to move and does move on a regular basis. 2-3 months tops being stationary.
- Snowbird: Spends several months in one location before moving to another location for several months. Typically based on staying in nice weather.
- Workcamper: Someone who's job moves on a regular basis and rather than messing around with houses and apartments, they live in an RV following the work.
- Stationary: Rig is set up in one spot with little or no likelyhood of it ever moving.

On a side note, ALGCA is simply an organization for Loopers. They have no claim to the term as people have been Looping well before the organization was started. Loopers are a subset of cruisers taking a specific trip.

I see your point. Now get everybody to agree on a definition to use! LOL Otherwise the confusion, and this discussion will continue.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dog Folks wrote:

Because it creates confusion when terms are poorly defined.

Example: If someone presents themselves as a "farmer", I automatically am thinking a bare minimum of 40 acres and more likely much more land, tractors, barns, etc... I'm also thinking they do it for profit. If 10 mintues into the conversation after a great deal of confusion, it turns out they consider themselves a farmer because they converted a 20' long flower bed on the back side of the house to grow a dozen tomato plants, it's frustrating and missleading. This is why we use the term gardening. Not because gardening is bad or a lower quality activity but because it make communication easier.

So yes, I think using clear terminology is valuable.

While there is nothing wrong with the various lifestyles, this is how I see it breaking down (and people may transition into various catagories over time, so you aren't locked in):
- Full time: Rig is ready to move and does move on a regular basis. 2-3 months tops being stationary.
- Snowbird: Spends several months in one location before moving to another location for several months. Typically based on staying in nice weather.
- Workcamper: Someone who's job moves on a regular basis and rather than messing around with houses and apartments, they live in an RV following the work.
- Stationary: Rig is set up in one spot with little or no likelyhood of it ever moving.

On a side note, ALGCA is simply an organization for Loopers. They have no claim to the term as people have been Looping well before the organization was started. Loopers are a subset of cruisers taking a specific trip.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

Because it's winter and we're all bored stiff and we've already talked about toilet paper, campfires, boondocking vs. drycamping, RVers vs. campers, tires, Chevy vs.Ford Vs. Dodge, ten-year rules, HOA rules, Class A only resorts, unleashed pets/children/inlaws, generators, and Montana LLC's.

We're scrapin' the bottom of the barrel now...:B

LOL! and the crazy part of this?? It is only November!!

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love the label "Gray Nomads". May have to name my Class A that when we buy it and go FTing when we retire.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.