Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

05 Holiday Rambler 30PDD/workhorse

slamberte5
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning
We are new to this site and we are 5th wheelers. Family issues are making for a change. We have found the MH at a dealer for asking $ 49k. We would like input on the motor home itself. We like the floor plan. WE have heard different concerns about the workhorse platform. Any comments would be welcomed. Thanks Steve
20 REPLIES 20

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you go to the Workhorse website and enter the VIN you will find if the brake recall was done. If it was done, then you are good to go. NONE of the calipers replaced under the recall are defective. SOME of the calipers replaced under warranty, BEFORE the recall, were defective. The recall corrected that issue so if it has been done, you do not have to worry about your brakes, other than the usual maintenance. There is a grease fitting on the bell crank for the brakes that is under the hood. This needs to be greased and is usually forgotten during normal maintenance.
Transynd transmission fluid was used in all ALlison transmissions made after April, 2005. If this coach was built before that, it would be a good idea to drain the Dexron III fluid and refill with the newer Transynd.
The sepentine belt used on this coach is the LONGER 108" belt of the two used with the 8.1L engine. Carry one as a spare since you will go nowhere if it fails.
Check the front hubs for the proper oil level. It usually takes a flashlight to see the oil level which should be close to the center plug.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than likely, the buzzer was the leveling jack not fully retracted.
This is not an uncommon problem, especially if sitting for awhile.
On occasion I would have to crawl under and physically push it up to seat it.
WD 40 and exercising it will help.
As someone mentioned, a lot of good MHs out there for $50K
I had an 03 Southwind 32V with the WH and it was a little rocket ship. (relatively speaking)
The WH is a great powertrain.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

slamberte5
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all the input from this forum has been outstanding. Makes me glad I reuped for Good Sam

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I am not positive but I think the W18 did not have the Allison Transmission. He is about %15000 too high.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

CurtisG
Explorer
Explorer
I personally think this motorhome is way overpriced. PPL in Houston had a 2005 HR30PDD listed with 27,000 miles for $39,900 on the Workhorse chassis with 8.1 engine. Also, unless someone added front airbags to the coach, it does not normally have them. If I were you I would keep looking because as previously stated you can do much better in that price range.
CurtisG
2003 34' Allegro Bay
WH(W22)/GM8.1/Allison

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
slamberte5
Once again the choice is yours but a Workhorse 18 is an extremely light duty chassis. As stated we had an Allegro Bay on a WH 22 and we had to be careful how much we could carry. The Holiday Rambler is a similar coach so you could be overweight before you start. Also needing new tires, other work and it being a WH 18 it is very overpriced. For $50 K you should be able to pick up a really nice coach.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

nike_holley
Explorer
Explorer
If the front bags were not inflated, it must have been really low in the front ..!.. The buzzer could have been the air system alarm... I would want $ off for the tires & get my own... Not have the dealer put them on... I question a dealer that would test drive a coach with the front suspension not working right... Hmmm... Be cautious... You might look at rv trader for similar values too...
Nike
Sharin' life with my Great Wife..!!..

slamberte5
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you mllk3rd the coach sat like the front springs were gone ie very low to the ground. I read the coach has air ride in the front. Others have said the buzzer was the leveler jacks sys and that makes sense to me. Your tire thought is really helpful as in tell the dealer what brand tire I want. We both know they will go for the cheapest. Thanks again. Steve

mllk3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nada values;
Low Retail = $30,470
Average Retail = $36,710

mllk3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, I know that you are new to the motorhome thing but what do you mean when you say that the air bags would not raise the front of the coach? Are you talking about the leveling jacks? Make sure the brake recall has been done. Tires need to be replaced, if the dealer replaces them make sure to specify a brand of replacement. I would have the dealer weigh the coach so you could find out how much carrying capacity you have. Good luck.

slamberte5
Explorer
Explorer
Man you all are great. We just returned from the test drive. Bob and Ann your tire comment is right on the tires are original Michelins XRV the dealer painted them and they look good but I agree they need to be changed. Neil its a W18 chassis 18000 GVWR there was a warning buzzer going off the entire test drive the sales guy though it was a leveler jack but I think brakes is more likely. Also the air bags did not raise the coach in front. So Wilkens RV has some work to do thank you all for your help. Steve

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
The Workhorse is a pretty good chassis, the 8.1 V8 is strong, dependable & the Allison trans is backed up by many many years of service in several different types of trucks, so you'll be good to go there.
The only thing you really need to be on your toes about, are those brake issues from the past on the W18, W20, W22 model chassis, to be sure that problem has been corrected.
It may take more than just asking, if the brake issues have been corrected, maybe even need go to some records if they can be found.
During the brake recall, at first, even some of the replacement calipers were defective & those had to be replaced as well, so it was a pretty serious problem.

In all of the reading I've done on the Workhorse brake issues, the larger W24 model chassis, was not affected with the issues in the brake recall, because they used a different type of brake caliper on those.
The brake issue, was a Bosch type caliper with the non metal type pistons. Those non metal pistons would absorb moisture & under hard breaking, swell & not release the brakes resulting in sticking brakes.
Other than the brake issues on the Workhorse, if that problem has been corrected proper, I wouldnt turn around for the difference between the Workhorse or the Ford F53 chassis, because both will give you years on service.
Neil

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Workhorse 22 and it was a good coach. Ours was an Allegro Bay.We had more then adequate power. The Allison transmission on that series was excellent. The 2005 was the model before the Allision that downshifts automatically when you touch the brake going down a hill. This is not an issue I am just mentioning it. If it has the original tires on it they will need to be replaced. Check the code dates and if they are 7 years old or older get the dealer to knock another $3,600 off for new tires.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 is the motor that was used in most of the chassis. A W in front followed by 20, 22, 24 indicates the GVW of the chassis and that is the important to be considered. The dealer doesn't know what he is talking about. Beware!!
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford