cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'06 Freight liner hydraulic fan motor leaks,$4K ?

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
My '06 Allergo bus was in for an oil change and the tech noticed the oil leak coming from the radiator area. It is from the remote fan drive, a hydraulic motor to drive the fan. A new motor is over $2,000 plus labor, 5 to 10 hours. I understand that it can blow a seal and leave me stranded, which would not be fun, but I'm wondering how long can I let it leak. The tank was only down a quart so it has not leaked much but I don't know how long it's leaked. Also, is there an option? Someone who rebuilds the motor? Just looking for advice, thanks. Bob
bob b
13 REPLIES 13

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
B S on it not being rebuildable...any hydraulic repair shop with a micrometer can measure the seals and order new ones. Does not need to be from DanFross.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the responses! I posted the same message over on another forum and all advised me to fix it prior to failure. I've learned from Freightliner that the motor is backordered and expensive. I've also learned that if it is just weaping oil it may last awhile but if it is dripping it could fail at any time. I've also learned that the motor is not rebuildable. Great news!
I've not heard from anyone that theirs had been leaking for years and never had a problem. You should all go outside and look under the radiator for signs of an oil leak, I hope that I'm the only one. Bob
bob b

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"bob b".....On the newer Freightliner chassis' they're having issues with the vent tube on the fan drive. Mine was covered in oil and Freightliner opted o replace it under warranty. Six months later, covered in oil again. I washed it off and extended the vent tube. It was easily reached from the floor cover inside the coach. No more leaks.

With that said, my friend has a 2011 Allegro Bus with the same fan drive, but has a plug where my vent is located????

The plug or vent, which ever you have is on top of the unit, dead center. You can look at your through the engine doors with a flashlight. If you have a vent, spray thoroughly with some degreaser and then inspect after your next trip.

TO NOTE:
a 2011 Allegro Bus is shaft driven not oil driven as is the one in your picture;; the situations being discussed are for Oil driven fan systems

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"bob b".....On the newer Freightliner chassis' they're having issues with the vent tube on the fan drive. Mine was covered in oil and Freightliner opted o replace it under warranty. Six months later, covered in oil again. I washed it off and extended the vent tube. It was easily reached from the floor cover inside the coach. No more leaks.

With that said, my friend has a 2011 Allegro Bus with the same fan drive, but has a plug where my vent is located????

The plug or vent, which ever you have is on top of the unit, dead center. You can look at your through the engine doors with a flashlight. If you have a vent, spray thoroughly with some degreaser and then inspect after your next trip.

Here is a photo of the vent line:

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Time to trade 'er in.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run...5 hours is absurd. Any good hydraulic repair shop can reseal it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
bob b - have a scout around your area for an industrial hydraulics repair/rebuild shop. The motor should have a tag with numbers / model / make on it. They will advise which is best route to take to repair.

X2 Run away from Freightliner and your RV shop. All they will do is quote replacement rather than repair.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
If its leaking now it won't ever get better but probably will get worse. You are lucky to have the problem now when you can weigh your options rather that 1000 miles from home with it leaking to the point that you need to be towed.

If it were me, I would pull the motor and take it to a Hydraulic shop for evaluation or repair.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
bob b wrote:
My '06 Allergo bus was in for an oil change and the tech noticed the oil leak coming from the radiator area. It is from the remote fan drive, a hydraulic motor to drive the fan. A new motor is over $2,000 plus labor, 5 to 10 hours. I understand that it can blow a seal and leave me stranded, which would not be fun, but I'm wondering how long can I let it leak. The tank was only down a quart so it has not leaked much but I don't know how long it's leaked. Also, is there an option? Someone who rebuilds the motor? Just looking for advice, thanks. Bob

if the hyd drive unit is 2K how did u come up with 4 K?
I looked at mine and theres no way its 10 hours at all;; even 5 seems ludicrous;; as far as fire risk ? I just don't see it(fire risk) when its just seeping as u indicate yours is

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds kinda high. Like said above get the numbers off it and check with big truck parts places as well. I have never changed one but 5 to 10 hrs. sounds like a lot.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob b - have a scout around your area for an industrial hydraulics repair/rebuild shop. The motor should have a tag with numbers / model / make on it. They will advise which is best route to take to repair.

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
I would be concerned about a fire hazard and have it taken care of immediately.

I read somewhere that hydraulic fan leaks are a significant cause of DP fires with hydraulic fan driven side radiators.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS