cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10 y.o. DP expense budget

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not in the market, this is just grist for the mill of "someday maybe".

Over the years here I have come to understand that a person can get a pretty nice DP at reasonable price once they are 10+ years old. My question is, what kind of budget would it take to have a shop do all preventative maintenance, new tires, replace wear parts, renew suspension, steering, and air system as needed, etc.?

Assume no tag axle. Would $10K usually be enough to make it ship-shape? Or more than that? I'm not talking about finding unexpected powertrain problems. What would be a good budget for making it ready to roll problem-free for several more years?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
21 REPLIES 21

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
If you look hard enough you can find one that doesn't need anything. I sold a 9 year old last year all service done, inside looked new, tires about a year and 1/2 old. Everything worked perfect. So had you bought mine $0.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think nearly $30,000 to do a ten year old coach. Mine is a 2001 Contessa by Beaver...42000 miles now. I have owned it 4 years now.

Tires replaced - $3200
cooling unit norcold - $2000
all roof covers - 2 ac, frig, 2 vents - $300
recoat roof and reseal - $150
valve lash adjustment - $350
abs repair - $150
engine and gen service - for 3 years - $600
wheel seals, dash air, and thermostats, belts - $700

total $7350 in 4 years
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
?$30,000? Wow. That should cover a full remodel, many appliances as well as all fluids and filters.

Said another way, this MAY be for a totally neglected coach.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget interior re model and possibly exterior paint on end caps, etc.

I have no idea but I am about to find out. I am at the ten year point and if we are going to continue to full time it is time. Like Neil Young says: Old enough to re paint but young enough to sell. I love the Freightliner, CAT and supplemental systems. Some like the refrigerator have already been rebuilt. I have flat worn out a Splendide washer/dryer and yes it probably could be rebuilt but time to replace.

This will be my second set of tires so I am figuring around three grand. The paint estimates are coming in from $1,200 to 30k. I know I should do something with the slides, seals at least but I don't want to go looking for problems.

DW wants a new dinette. I have some shelves and cabinets I want build. Custom cabinetry does not come cheap. Plus thinking of electrical system rebuild to accommodate the whole solar thing.

I estimate if I come in under 30 grand I am still miles ahead of a new coach and restart at the learning curve.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can accurately come up with a reasonably accurate $ number. No two 10 year old DPs are alike. It would depend a lot on how it was taken care of the prior 10 year period. I'll try to give you a number that reflects my 14 year old DP and 80,000 miles of fulltiming.
Regular service to the oil change intervals, some I did myself. As I get older, I have it done once a year. Appx $200.
Repairs?
One fuel pump and a 90 mile tow. Coachnet provided the tow free and the pump was $530.00 two years ago.
Engine fan self destructed last year in AZ, 7 mile tow (again free) and $2930.00 for fan, AC compressor, belts, new radiator hoses, fan pillow block and bearings an installation.
$310 four months later to have the fan removed, turned around the correct way and reinstalled to correct the overheating problem caused by the Willie Lumplump mechanics installation 4 months earlier.
New tires 4 years ago, $2650.00.
I know of no pending repair or PM needs going forward. I feel my chassis is sound and reliable at this time.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking more like 30.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Parts only or parts and retail labor?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/