cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12volt DC vs 120volt AC question

bfkhome
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to this RV stuff so bear with me and what is probably a very elementary basic question.

I have many lights in my interior coach that are 12volt DC fixtures. I know when the coach is turned off and not connected to shore power or the generator running, then the lights are working off of my batteries.

But if I have the generator on or am connected to shore power does the battery still get used to power these lights? In other words am I still putting a drain on the battery or does something switch over when it senses the 120volt AC and the battery is temporarily cut out of the loop?
13 REPLIES 13

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

The battery stays in the "Loop". However it is not typically supplying power while plugged in or running the generator.

What happens is the converter/charger can put out up to about 45 amps (might be a 55 or 60 amp model?). If the battery is really low, it will accept most of that power. If you are running 10 amps of lights (about 9 of them) then the charger will supply all 10 amps + have about 10 more amps to run things like the refrigerator circuit board, furnace, water pump, ect, and still have another 25 - 45 amps available to recharge the battery. The battery might not be in the mood to accept all 25 amps. Once the battery voltage is around 14.0 volts, the amperage into it will drop a lot. So it is like a frog jumping 1/2 way to the end of a log. THe first steps are large ones, but get smaller as the frog is closer to the end. Charging a very dead battery, it will accept a lot of power quickly, but will slow it's charge amperage as it gets up to about 80% full, and might take 1 hour to put in 40 amp hours when 40% full, and take 3 hours to put in 40 amp hours when 85% full.

It is best to keep the battery as full as possible - at least in the 50% to 80% full range. At least once a month recharge by plugging into shore power, or run a generator for 4+ hours to get the capacity up above 95% full. Also check the water level every couple of months if you are using it regularly.

So no- the battery should not be supplying power while plugged in. However it can. Lets say you have a sudden need to run 30 lights, the furnace, and water pump. This 48 amp load is more than a 45 amp converter will supply, so the battery will supply the balance, about 3 amps in this case.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2002 Itasca Horizon had a converter as OE located under the stove. We removed it and added a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 pure sinewave inverter/charger in the shore power and transfer switch compartment.

Its' got about 60,000 more miles on it than yours! Nice coach though isn't it?

MrWizard
just like your car
the battery is always connected
but when the charging ciruit is on ( generator or shore power ) powering the converter/charger
the battery is being charged while the 12v power comes from the charging circuit
in our car it comes fom the engine alternator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV AC & AC SYSTEMS With CONVERTER

RV AC &DC SYSTEMS With CONVERTER & INVERTER

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
As many don't, he didn't put his rig type/engine/make in the original post. But, a quick view of his profile shows an early Winnebago Journey Diesel. Now, about 99% of the diesel rigs out there come with an "Inverter". And, many of those are "Inverter/Chargers". I know many Journey owners and all of theirs have inverter chargers. So, without the OP actually stating what came with his particular rig, based on history and the norm, I'd say he's got an inverter/charger, not a converter.

If that's the case, the batteries will remain to power up the lights/water pump/12V gas furnace/ and anything else that's normally 12V powered. When on shore power or generator power, that inverter charger, on the charger side, will be charging the batteries WHILE they're still powering up the lights etc.

Now, some of the 32' Journeys did not come with an inverter so, a form of a converter had to be present in those. But, his appears to be at least a 36' unit which, would make the assumption that it has at least a 1500 watt inverter/charger.
Scott

On edit: I see he's responded with info that was needed to allow for better and more accurate answers. Thank you.
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

bfkhome
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to ALL for the great comments. I think I understand now. For those who mentioned it, I indeed have an inverter/charger so I know its charging the batteries, etc.

Special thanks to Dave Bishop who sent two links to a great article on the way the whole system works. I can see from there how the battery interacts with everything else.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The 120 vac siteHere is a site to visit and I will post another. Both sites are great for understanding the electrical systems in your rig. I refer to them on and off, always something I need to know.

12 volt side of life part 1

part two

The above are the 12 vdc story.

Good Reading
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, when connected to shore power the lights will be powered through either a converter or by batteries if your rig is equipped with inverter charger.
Whether you have a converter or an inverter charger should be in your owner's manual.
I beleive your Winnebago will have a converter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
We do not even have a battery in our camper that is permanent. One way to find out is to unhook the batt and see if the lights work.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess you may have an inverter which is more sophisticated than a converter. I would assume the inverter or converter is charging the batteries and the batteries are powering you 12 volt system. Where is a EE when you need one.

bfkhome wrote:
I'm new to this RV stuff so bear with me and what is probably a very elementary basic question.

I have many lights in my interior coach that are 12volt DC fixtures. I know when the coach is turned off and not connected to shore power or the generator running, then the lights are working off of my batteries.

But if I have the generator on or am connected to shore power does the battery still get used to power these lights? In other words am I still putting a drain on the battery or does something switch over when it senses the 120volt AC and the battery is temporarily cut out of the loop?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
When you are connected to shore power or the generator is running either one will charge the batteries through the convertor. Even though the convertor changes 120VAC to 12VDC the power for the lights still originates at the batteries.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Barry,

This is somewhat coach specific, but with a look at your profile, my guess would be that the coach has a good converter to keep the house bank charged and as that is what powers the house lights. So the battery is not actually out of the loop (it could be), but it is not actually being used to support any loads.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
When on shore your converter is charging the battery. It's still in the loop.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman