cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16 year old Bridgestone faired better than 17yo Michelin's

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought new tires. I kept the two 16yo Bridgestones, both as a spare. They still looked new. The 1 year older Michelin's were so weather cracked, I was afraid I wouldn't make it to the dealer to get the new tires. Just thinking out loud here. I know the Bridgestones shouldn't be used, but I couldn't afford a new spare at this time.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
34 REPLIES 34

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced tires on my utility trailer at 25 years as a precaution.
The old wheels still could carry full load, but got a coupon so whole new wheel for $39 saved me painting the old rims.
Michelins are known to show surface cracks and 1 of several layers is not a big deal per manufacturer.
It is design to wear out on curbs in its primary use.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'll be dammed, I guess that brand new looking spare I have under my mh is just extra weight, it looks better than most mh tires that are running down the road that are only 2-3 yrs old, guess I better throw it in the ditch and go buy a brand new one to lay there for another 18 yrs.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimInMich wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
The fact that you didn't care about you or your spouse's life is fine. But, by continuing to drive on tires that old you had no concern for the lives of others really bothers me.

What ever. Dont care if it bothers you or not. I had no way of getting the new tires, other than drive the motor home to get them.

And BTW, I just bought the motor home. So it wasn't like I had been driving this around willy nilly.

Man, some people sure act like pompous donkeys around here.

You gotta understand that the thought of "teens" on the road is very scary to some people.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
JimInMich wrote:
The main reason for this post was me thinking out loud how the 16yo Bridgestones held up a lot better than the 17yo Michelins, when in my mind, Michelins are the best tire money can buy.

no worries most people know your intent and understand it
but there are a few liberals whom think Michelins are king(there not)
and few whom believe in the so called 5 or 7 year rule? based on rhetoric

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
I could put a spare in a compartment, but that would take a huge amount of space and would mean the grandkids may have to ride up inside the motorhome. I can't put up with that noise!

Just throw it up on the roof, when you need it just climb up and push it over. :B

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
The main reason for this post was me thinking out loud how the 16yo Bridgestones held up a lot better than the 17yo Michelins, when in my mind, Michelins are the best tire money can buy.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2000 Hurricane in 2013 that had 19,000 miles on the original tires. I carefully drove it 90 miles to my house and then the next day 6 miles to a tire shop.

Don't worry about the "pompous donkeys" (former law enforcement, etc.). There will be a few. You will find many helpful people on this forum.

The Hurricane had a new spare that had never been on the ground. The original tires had air showing through the big sidewall cracks, but I stopped half way and did a walk around and they were all still inflated. The weather was cool and it was cloudy.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours has a rack for the spare under the propane tank, so rides in the same bay. No space wasted for the spare.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
JimInMich wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
The fact that you didn't care about you or your spouse's life is fine. But, by continuing to drive on tires that old you had no concern for the lives of others really bothers me.

What ever. Dont care if it bothers you or not. I had no way of getting the new tires, other than drive the motor home to get them.

And BTW, I just bought the motor home. So it wasn't like I had been driving this around willy nilly.

Man, some people sure act like pompous donkeys around here.

totally agree too self rightous

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:

lol

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, over 3,100 views in a couple hours.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could put a spare in a compartment, but that would take a huge amount of space and would mean the grandkids may have to ride up inside the motorhome. I can't put up with that noise!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
My plan was that if I ever went on a long cross-country trip, I'd throw the spare in the bed of my toad which is a pickup so I'd have it if needed. My pickup is gone and now my toad is a Jeep, so for the next cross-country trip I'll just go without a spare and take my chance.

I'm lucky enough that the motor home has a spare tire compartment. I also have the other in one of the basement compartments ( unmounted ).
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

While you were driving to the tire store on those old tires I hope you put your beer in the cup holder and kept both hands on the steering wheel. :B

No, wife was holding my beer. She complained a little because she was also holding the FRS talkie so the grand kids could talk to her while they were riding in one of the basement compartments.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I think there are many of us on this forum that keep the best old tire for an emergency spare. Mine's been riding along unused since 2009. 🙂

Enjoy your new motorhome, and ignore the "judgement" posts that sometimes appear here.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida