cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16 year old Bridgestone faired better than 17yo Michelin's

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought new tires. I kept the two 16yo Bridgestones, both as a spare. They still looked new. The 1 year older Michelin's were so weather cracked, I was afraid I wouldn't make it to the dealer to get the new tires. Just thinking out loud here. I know the Bridgestones shouldn't be used, but I couldn't afford a new spare at this time.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
34 REPLIES 34

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
996Pilot wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
Jim, I'm aware that you just purchased the RV but, 16 and 17 years is a long time to run a RV tire. In fact you hold the record for having the oldest tires on a RV that I ever heard of. ....

Most folks visiting the forums here are serious RV'ers and look for advice and tips to keep their rigs running right and stay safe. I live in the SoCal area (pray for me) and the DW and I see REALLY old MH's on the road that are obviously permanent dwellings for the folks in them. Some of these look like they would be rejected at a scrap metal yard. All of them look unsafe at any speed. I'm sure there are many records for OLD that can be beat!!

I'd be more worried about rigs like this as well as un-maintained cars on the road (along with distracted drivers, impaired drivers, etc.) than someone who has old tires on an otherwise well maintained RV. Heck a drive anywhere (in the west) on open roads will yield dozens of truck tire carcasses - one of the reasons I don't travel on my motorcycle at night on interstates.

JMO - YMMV
I'm a retired OTR Trucker with over 4 million miles logged and I know all about tires! Where in the post did I tell him to drive with these tires? I was just amazed that they were still on the rim! You would have to be a complete idiot to run on tires like that! Come on Man!

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Ignore the self righteous perfectionists. They do a fine job of looking ridiculous on their own.

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to use something other than Michelin. Thank you for the observations.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer

And BTW, I just bought the motor home. So it wasn't like I had been driving this around willy nilly.

CharlesinGA wrote:

Having mentioned this simple fact up front in your first post would have eliminated a half dozen or more needless posts in this thread.

Charles

I did state
The 1 year older Michelin's were so weather cracked, I was afraid I wouldn't make it to the dealer to get the new tires.

By stating I was afraid I wouldn't make it to the tire dealer, due to the condition of the tires imply I wasn't driving around in the motor home to start with? Does to me. If not, my mistake.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
JimInMich wrote:
What ever. Dont care if it bothers you or not. I had no way of getting the new tires, other than drive the motor home to get them.

And BTW, I just bought the motor home. So it wasn't like I had been driving this around willy nilly.

Having mentioned this simple fact up front in your first post would have eliminated a half dozen or more needless posts in this thread.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
JimInMich wrote:
The main reason for this post was me thinking out loud how the 16yo Bridgestones held up a lot better than the 17yo Michelins, when in my mind, Michelins are the best tire money can buy.

Guess I'll chime in and say AMEN to "the best tire money can buy" Been RV'ing now for 21 years and the only brand tire I'll use on our coach are Bridgestones.

Never had one fail yet.

Best of luck & safe travels.......:)
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
JimInMich wrote:
The main reason for this post was me thinking out loud how the 16yo Bridgestones held up a lot better than the 17yo Michelins, when in my mind, Michelins are the best tire money can buy.

Only the Michelin disciples believe that and mainly because of all the marketing hype. Not only that, but Michelin supplies a lot of the RV industry at evidently cut rate prices, so that one might replace them with their brand, when due. Thing is, everyone who swears by them and pays the extra, hasn't lived long enough to have properly tested all the rest, soooooooo.....and if it has a good ole US DOT number on it, it's good enough for me.
Just so you know, Michelin had some terrible years for sidewall cracking and around 2002 were the worst, I believe.
BTW, I've only had two blowouts ever, both were on the rear, both were Goodyear and both were in NY state. Now that ought to tell you something, eh? Don't ask me what, but something. The first was on a 6yr old and could have been from an unseen road hazard. The second was 5yrs old and shortly after I got this coach, so I'm betting sitting for long periods with the jacks up and having no covers installed. Still no real dry cracking though, so it must have been because it wasn't a Michelin. Now, I don't know what the faithful might do, once Michelin moves to China, along with most others that already have and one of the chief complaints about tires on these forums.
Now who would have thought that the French would be able to initialize and maintain such a reputation and hasn't Firestone won Indy enough times to make them just as famous?
We're running genuine Chinese Hercules now, it is the fourth largest tire maker worldwide and has been owned by Cooper since the 60's. We've had excellent service from them in the past and expect no less from our present purchase, but one never knows and time will tell, I guess.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
The fact that you didn't care about you or your spouse's life is fine. But, by continuing to drive on tires that old you had no concern for the lives of others really bothers me.

Boy, you did real with that response didnt you.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Dale said: "I don't get the hype about Michelin either. Plenty of well made reliable tires available at much less cost. Sometimes it seems if you're not rolling down the road on $500+ Michelin tires you're a biggest hazard on the high way."

I wish they were $500! LOL! Back in 2013, I replaced eight tires on our 2008 Dynasty.... about $665 each using the FMCA Michelin discount. They were 295/80R/22.5's. And, I know different size tires have different prices, just jabbing at-cha. 😄

The new coach has 365's on the front, 315's on the drive axle and 365's on the tag. Prevost replaced my front tires under warranty as I was getting a vibration in the front-end. They replaced the two front tires and aligned the whole coach. The two front Michelin's, 365's, were listed on the invoice at $1,008 each.

My understand is, that Michelin is the only manufacturer making a 365 tire. If you've never seen one (I hadn't until this coach), they are very wide tires. And, I would consider a different brand if my size tire was made by another manufacturer, but I've had excellent service with my Michelins except for the above. New tires are fine. At just shy of 56,000 lbs., we need a robust tire.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stick'n to it!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Jim, I'm aware that you just purchased the RV but, 16 and 17 years is a long time to run a RV tire. In fact you hold the record for having the oldest tires on a RV that I ever heard of. ....

Most folks visiting the forums here are serious RV'ers and look for advice and tips to keep their rigs running right and stay safe. I live in the SoCal area (pray for me) and the DW and I see REALLY old MH's on the road that are obviously permanent dwellings for the folks in them. Some of these look like they would be rejected at a scrap metal yard. All of them look unsafe at any speed. I'm sure there are many records for OLD that can be beat!!

I'd be more worried about rigs like this as well as un-maintained cars on the road (along with distracted drivers, impaired drivers, etc.) than someone who has old tires on an otherwise well maintained RV. Heck a drive anywhere (in the west) on open roads will yield dozens of truck tire carcasses - one of the reasons I don't travel on my motorcycle at night on interstates.

JMO - YMMV
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, I'm aware that you just purchased the RV but, 16 and 17 years is a long time to run a RV tire. In fact you hold the record for having the oldest tires on a RV that I ever heard of. I don't carry a spare tire. Have fun in your new RV and I'm glad to hear your not thin skinned! Lots of judge mental posters on this site! It's amazing also that a 17 year old Michelin tire was still running even though it had cracks!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Tires will age out. But according to Roger Marbles, the biggest enemy of tires is heat and that still is not a big problem during either week of Michigan's summer. 😉

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
The fact that you didn't care about you or your spouse's life is fine. But, by continuing to drive on tires that old you had no concern for the lives of others really bothers me.

I'll bet you don't run with scissors either!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
For those of you who were not on here 10 years ago when Michelin XRV tires were blowing out, some fortunately while sitting still and Michelin would not warranty these tires... that was the last time I've bought a Michelin after 30 years of buying them. Today there are plenty of good choices in radial tires instead of Michelin... Hankook, Toyo, and yes, Firestone/Bridgestone.
Tachdriver wrote:
Just throw it up on the roof, when you need it just climb up and push it over. :B

You mean like this: Unmounted and not a weight or space issue. If I can get road service with the right tire at a reasonable price they can put theirs on. Otherwise this one will get me to where I can buy the correct one at a reasonable price.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well since my flame suit is at the cleaners I'm not even going to type what I had to do to get my new to me repo coach home from a seller 400 miles away home before the next stop at a tire dealer a few days later. Lets just say the tires that were on the coach were not installed by Ford, Thor or the original owner and a flat bed wrecker somewhere had a set of lightly used 19.5 tires and shiney dent free simulators to go along for the ride.

Never hurts to hang on to one as a potential spare. ERMS will gladly pay to install while having to buy a new tire on the side of the road on a holiday weekend,,, lets just say who ever is coming to the rescue has a bit of a captive customer. If you can get your hands on the heavy plastic wrap shippers use to hold stuff together wrap the tire. Helps keep ozone at bay and the tire a bit cleaner if it's hang under the chassis somewhere.

I don't get the hype about Michelin either. Plenty of well made reliable tires available at much less cost. Sometimes it seems if you're not rolling down the road on $500+ Michelin tires you're a biggest hazard on the high way.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53