cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1969 Custom VW "C"...

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not peruse the "C" forums, apologies if this is a repost, but being an owner of sever air-cooled VWs in the past it is pretty cool:

1969 Custom Camper

Chassis is a 69 bus. Subaru 2.5 engine conversion. Freeway flier 002 transaxle. Marine heater, air conditioning. Brakes wheel bearings all new. Still has 4 wheel drum brakes. Camper frame is steel square tube, covered with aluminum. Top is one piece aluminum front to back. Inside dinette converts to a queen bed. Cabover bed sleeps 2. Fully insulated. Has 12 gallon water tank with hot water heater. 3000 watt inverter will run the microwave, coffe pot and water heater. Has solar panel on the roof that maintains 2 batteries. Porta Potts storage. ARB awning. Cruises fine at 70 and takes hills easily. We take this rig every where. A/C blows cold. Gets about 15 mpg. I have started a new camper, otherwise I would never sell it. Itโ€™s attracts attention constantly. It has a reciever hitch and I pull a small trailer behind it.

(I AM NOT THE OWNER NOR AFFILIATED WITH THE SELLER IN ANY WAY)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
12 REPLIES 12

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
^^^

Such is the nature of collectible vehicles. In terms of practicality and actual value they are never worth even close to the asking price. Kind of like an old 1972 Ford pickup I saw for sale at $8500. It wasn't in good condition and by today's standards slow, uncomfortable, unsafe and unreliable. You could buy one 30 years newer in much better condition for the same price. But for the right buyer they are worth it.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
$40,000 and no bathroom, no way would I pay that price..

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I owned/drove a bone stock 69 VW Bus Panel Van years ago. This one has been extensively modified and clearly the craftsman has some experience with sheet metal fabrication. I have questions about the location of the radiator/AC condenser since I'm assuming the new Subaru boxer engine is water cooled and it's using the Subaru AC because, IIRC, AC wasn't available on VW vans of that vintage. There is no pic of the rear so the radiator/condenser location is unclear. The suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, steering geometry, weight and balance are surely adversely affected with all the extra weight. It's an interesting vehicle and attracts attention but, at $40,000, would not attract my money. In that price range, it's missing a few of the essentials like rooftop A/C, refrigerator, toilet/shower, propane, generator, oven/range top, waste water storage, etc. Those would all be available in a short (22-24 ft.), aging Class B/C for substantially less money.

If you want an older VW motorhome, this might be a better option:

https://rvs.autotrader.com/rvs/1995/Winnebago/Rialta/300181611

But hey, if you want a conversation piece, this conversion is it.

Chum lee

Edit: On reviewing the photos (enlarged) on my smart phone, it appears that the VW factory sheet metal (painted gray in ad) has major rust through issues around the driver/passenger door bottoms, wheelhouse openings, and, front panel, which is common to VW Vans of that vintage. If I'm correct, this issue has been previously improperly/poorly repaired and repainted, and, the owner knows about it, but, failed to mention it in the ad. IMO, without being insulting, that drops the value of this "$40,000 collectors item" to, . . . . . . . scrap value.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Last month we toured the pyramids, tombs, and temples in Eqypt, a one week power tour there and then a week in Israel. Those old VW buses are everywhere in Cairo Egypt, everyone one of them is white. People use them to haul people waiting on the road-sides, a private version of our public transportation. Somehow they squeeze in an additional row of seats. The rear engine access door is always propped open. They have sliding side doors, also left open while on the move. The back always bottomed out, tilted up forward. It was so entertaining to watch how it all worked.....organized chaos. In one week's time, our gingling horse & buggy contacted an adjacent vehicle in traffic, and we saw a real good rear end collision to a non-VW bus loaded with people. There is no auto insurance in Egypt so they yell at eachother and then keep moving.....if they can. Not one traffic light to be found. Many people wait for any vehicle to give them a ride along the highways too. People darting across the highways all the time, a suicide-like way to commute to work. Vehicles and horse-&-carts driving the wrong way on the shoulders. A total freak-out for the first hour, then we got used to it.

My wife and I strongly endorse a tour of Egypt. You are treated royally and done so affordably. Everyone is very friendly to tourists because the economy is heavily dependent on them. We had a blast there, not to mention all that we seen and learned about Egypt's history. 2/3 of Egypt is Muslim, 1/3 Christian.

Pretty rare in Australia these days replaced by the vastly better diesel Transporter and Crafter

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last month we toured the pyramids, tombs, and temples in Eqypt, a one week power tour there and then a week in Israel. Those old VW buses are everywhere in Cairo Egypt, everyone one of them is white. People use them to haul people waiting on the road-sides, a private version of our public transportation. Somehow they squeeze in an additional row of seats. The rear engine access door is always propped open. They have sliding side doors, also left open while on the move. The back always bottomed out, tilted up forward. It was so entertaining to watch how it all worked.....organized chaos. In one week's time, our gingling horse & buggy contacted an adjacent vehicle in traffic, and we saw a real good rear end collision to a non-VW bus loaded with people. There is no auto insurance in Egypt so they yell at eachother and then keep moving.....if they can. Not one traffic light to be found. Many people wait for any vehicle to give them a ride along the highways too. People darting across the highways all the time, a suicide-like way to commute to work. Vehicles and horse-&-carts driving the wrong way on the shoulders. A total freak-out for the first hour, then we got used to it.

My wife and I strongly endorse a tour of Egypt. You are treated royally and done so affordably. Everyone is very friendly to tourists because the economy is heavily dependent on them. We had a blast there, not to mention all that we seen and learned about Egypt's history. 2/3 of Egypt is Muslim, 1/3 Christian.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
wrktfsh wrote:
Itโ€™s good they upgraded the motor. The vans were already underpowered from vw

I owned a 1958 VW Van when I was in the ARMY in Germany late 60's.
It had the 40 hp engine and I put 2 carburetors on it (made a manifold) and it had way more power. On one gentle hill it would climb 15 mph faster than with single carb.
Went to the 1969 German Grand Prix living in it for a week.
I couldn't find a buyer for it and parked it in a gas station when I transferred out. ๐Ÿ™‚ (maybe it's still there??)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Worse than the two-star adjusters on an old VW is two individual one-star adjusters on each drum!

My brother has an old 1960 356B that has the oversize front drums and it has 2 adjusters in each! PITA to get that to stop in a straight line!
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
d3500ram wrote:
Yes, upgraded motor is good, but not thrilled about 4-wheel DRUM brakes! Brake-fade on a heavier vehicle is not so good especially with all the aftermarket disc upgrades for at least the front wheels.
Yes, especially if it has the old style with two star wheels on each corner. PITN. Very difficult (for me) to get one of those adjusted right to stop in a straight line for more than a couple weeks. Probably a trick to it but I would have it converted to disks in a heart beat.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, upgraded motor is good, but not thrilled about 4-wheel DRUM brakes! Brake-fade on a heavier vehicle is not so good especially with all the aftermarket disc upgrades for at least the front wheels.

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s good they upgraded the motor. The vans were already underpowered from vw

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's definitely unique and interesting.