cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2001 Ford E450 Rear Diff.

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
What fluid goes into the rear pumpkin/Diff?? Is it gear oil and if so what kind?? Thanks
2007 Damon Daybreak 35.4ft Class A
2001 Georgie Boy 31ft Class C
2003 Coachman Auroa Gold Class A
1995 Coachman Santara Class C
2000 Coachman Pop-up
1988 Dodge Ram Conversion Van
5 REPLIES 5

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
As stated it is 75-140 synthetic oil. The diff cover should not have a gasket but rather RTV sealant from the factory. There is a plug on the side which is the full mark and can be used to add fluid as well. If you remove the cover you will need 3 quarts and a tube of posi additive to refill. Piece of advice....be sure the cover is not rusting through causing the leak. Ford had issues with this until 07 when the cover became aluminum....I know cause mine let go resulting in a total diff replacement. A new cover for 30 bucks is well worth the investment if changing the gasket

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^ It's a Ford Chassis? If so, there's a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on the front top of the differential. Held down by a 10mm capscrew, sealed with an O-ring. Clean the area, pull the VSS, and pour your new lube down the VSS hole using a small funnel. Do this with the magnetic fluid level plug removed. Stop when the new fluid reaches the level plug hole.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

TonyMin
Explorer
Explorer
How do you know it's full? I have a leak and want to put in a new gasket.
Thanks
'98 Shasta Cheyenne 280 highrise, widebody

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
k9-keno wrote:
What fluid goes into the rear pumpkin/Diff?? Is it gear oil and if so what kind?? Thanks
I don't know what goes into the newer ones, but it used to be a 90 weight gear oil, or an 80W90. I'm assuming is would still be the same thing.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund