cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

228 in WB in a 34 ft MH

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my search for a short Class A MH 32-34 ft I have not seen any with an 228 in WB. Does anyone on here know what makes and models have this WB?gy
14 REPLIES 14

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
My 36.5 ft diesel pusher rides on a 228" wheelbase - Tiffin Phaeton.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
Most of the major Class A MH manufacturers buy their gas chassis partially finished from Ford or others.

Google search: "Ford F53 chassis specifications" and/or others. Typically Ford sets the wheelbase (there are many different lengths to choose from) and the MH manufacturer picks the one they want for each particular model and GVWR.

Chum lee
. I was just looking at the Ford 53 specifications PDF file last week for ride height questions and noticed they made 228 in WB on a 30 ft chassis. I just never could find a finished MH with these specs.

That is the length of the Ford chassis, but the motorhomes factories will put a 34-36 foot box on top of that.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chum lee wrote:
Most of the major Class A MH manufacturers buy their gas chassis partially finished from Ford or others.

Google search: "Ford F53 chassis specifications" and/or others. Typically Ford sets the wheelbase (there are many different lengths to choose from) and the MH manufacturer picks the one they want for each particular model and GVWR.

Chum lee
. I was just looking at the Ford 53 specifications PDF file last week for ride height questions and noticed they made 228 in WB on a 30 ft chassis. I just never could find a finished MH with these specs.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer

Chum lee

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the feed back. From the responses it looks like only Tiffen makes a MH with these requirements.

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
My info came from the current Tiffin web page; 2017 Allegro 31MA and 31SA are listed with 228" WB:
http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2017_allegro_specs.pdf
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
My Tiffin 2013 31sa has a 228in WB.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
CVD wrote:
Are you shopping for a front or rear engine coach?

With a pusher, where the straight 6 and transmission are both behind the rear axle, your overhang mostly predetermined. Then, to get reasonable weight on the front axle, it is โ€œpulled back". Thus the relatively short wheelbases on pushers under 35โ€™ long (actually most under 40โ€™ have less than ideal length/wheelbase ratios). E.g. Tiffin RED 33A: 35โ€™ length/198โ€ WB = .47 ratio.

On a front engine RV (gas or diesel), the engine can sit directly over the front axle and the rear axle can be placed where balance is best (drive shaft can be made to whatever length is needed). Thus, you find better length/WB ratios. E.g. Tiffin Allegro 31: 33โ€™ length/228โ€ WB = .57 ratio.

That brings the question of which gives a better overall ride and control - a leaf spring front engine chassis with a good wheelbase ratio or an airbag pusher chassis with a short wheelbase? Iโ€™m all ears.
which model and year did Tiffen make a 33 ft MH with a 228 in WB?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I got 208 WB on a 33 foot motorhome and its just fine, turns sharp and overhang looks normal, my drop hitch dose not drag on normal gas station driveways.

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Are you shopping for a front or rear engine coach?

With a pusher, where the straight 6 and transmission are both behind the rear axle, your overhang mostly predetermined. Then, to get reasonable weight on the front axle, it is โ€œpulled back". Thus the relatively short wheelbases on pushers under 35โ€™ long (actually most under 40โ€™ have less than ideal length/wheelbase ratios). E.g. Tiffin RED 33A: 35โ€™ length/198โ€ WB = .47 ratio.

On a front engine RV (gas or diesel), the engine can sit directly over the front axle and the rear axle can be placed where balance is best (drive shaft can be made to whatever length is needed). Thus, you find better length/WB ratios. E.g. Tiffin Allegro 31: 33โ€™ length/228โ€ WB = .57 ratio.

That brings the question of which gives a better overall ride and control - a leaf spring front engine chassis with a good wheelbase ratio or an airbag pusher chassis with a short wheelbase? Iโ€™m all ears.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a DP and it is 34.5' actual and the wheelbase is only 208". It also has a 55 degree wheel cut which makes it turn very sharp. I had a 31' but was actually 33.5' long front engine gas RV with a 45 degree wheel cut and a 228" wheelbase. It had a very large turning radius and a massive tail swing. On a gas RV I would opt for the longer wheelbase even though the turning radius is so poor just to get the stability required. On a DP with air ride it isn't so much of a problem.
FMCA member

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
When i bought my coach, every manufacturer was putting their longest coaches 36 to 38 ft on 22,000 lbs chassis with the longest WB being 228 inches. One of the reasons I went where I did was the 24,000 chassis and 254 inch WB. Some one here has a formula for length to WB ratio. You might try using that. I think a 34 ft coach on a 228 WB is OK but not longer
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
All has to do with the engineering if it will help you or not. Are you looking for mainly the stability? Also test drive.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
New or used? Every manufacturer has WB specs on their site for every model. Is there a particular floor plan you want? A long WB is nice but worthless if it's sitting under the wrong floor plan. In terms of priority, WB length would be much further down my list. A consideration sure, but not the primary one.
2013 ACE 29.2