cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40' Newmar 400HP vs 370HP Cummins

rkburdick
Explorer
Explorer
Getting close to deciding on a 40' Newmar Kountry Star, Dutch Star or a little older Montain Aire years 2003-2008 (within our budget). The question is: some have 370HP and some have 400HP cummins. Is there a big difference in power/milage/maintenance? Heard conflicting info from dealers who obviously have that particular model. Hope to learn from community experience if possible.
11 REPLIES 11

00_BUCK
Explorer
Explorer
USMC46 wrote:
We have a 2004 Dutch Star Model 4025 with the ISL 370. We head to the mountains every year pulling a Jeep Liberty, and have never had a problem. The mileage is good and it's just an overall great unit. It's my first and only coach, so I can not compare it with others. We may be seling ours as some health issues are going to limit the travel and I can't stand to see it parked. You cannot go wrong with the Newmar product, in my opinion. We LOVE ours.

I am running the ISC 360 HP I travel the hills of W. Virginia and Virgina all the time 7 percent grades for miles . I pass trucks but will admit I do seem to top out at 45-50 going up the most severe grades , but to me it isn't a major deal I drive flat land 80 percent of the4 time and the milage I get is way way better than a bigger engine would get .

I am satified with the 360 ISC also . Love our Newmar also, after 3 others it is the nicest we have had
2011 Newmar - VENTANA -- with COMFORT DRIVE :B
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar w/ Roadmaster adapters
AirForce One brake system

Life Member GOOD SAM Club
FMCA Member

If your not the lead dog
the view never changes

Boomer719
Explorer
Explorer
If these were both 8.9L engines and in the same coach, you would be hard pressed to tell any difference. The bigger HP motor in a bigger, heavier coach may not perform as well as the smaller engine in a lighter rig. They are both very good motors and you couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Way too many variables here and IMHO you would be best served buying the coach that has the floor plan that you and your wife like the best and whichever engine it comes with.....so be it. If you "settle" for living features to get a certain engine, you may be wanting to trade sooner than expected.

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 Dutch Star Model 4025 with the ISL 370. We head to the mountains every year pulling a Jeep Liberty, and have never had a problem. The mileage is good and it's just an overall great unit. It's my first and only coach, so I can not compare it with others. We may be seling ours as some health issues are going to limit the travel and I can't stand to see it parked. You cannot go wrong with the Newmar product, in my opinion. We LOVE ours.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package

Mike_and_Trish
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to check whether each engine has an engine brake, exhaust brake, etc. The ISL generally can have a 2-stage engine brake, but I'm not sure that all do. I would say it's critical to have one or the other, but I don't think the difference between the two would be a deal-breaker.
Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Blue Ox Aventa LX
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
I suspect BOTH are the 8.9 liter ISL engine. It could be had in either 370 or 400 HP and with exhaust brake or engine compression brake.

Indeed they are the same engine, the 8.9 ISL. The 400 HP has been reprogrammed to produce more power, but both are still rated at 1200 ft-lb torque.

A friend with the same model coach as mine had Cummins reprogram his 370 to 400. He could perceive no change in performance.
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 is 370 ISL and absolutely no problems in mountains. Your perhpas future 400 shouldn't have any different maintenance issues and 'probably' no mileage difference. It would probably have a little more oomph on the hills. Enjoy the Newmar! We certainly do!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect BOTH are the 8.9 liter ISL engine. It could be had in either 370 or 400 HP and with exhaust brake or engine compression brake.

I agree, you are very unlikely to notice a 30 HP difference if on the same engine. If comparing an 8.3 with a 8.9, there will also be a torque difference.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RAMPY
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2004 DutchStar (4010) and love it. We bought it new and have taken good care of it. It has a 370 I.S.L. Cummins. We've been around the country 3 times and she has handled everything.....towing a Honda CRY. Mountains out West never a problem. I am sure you will do fine with either one.
Jack and Mary
2004 DSDP (4010)
2012 Honda CRV
Falcon and BrakeBuddy
FMCA:F337928

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best guess, you will never notice the difference. Perhaps if one of each were drag racing up a hill, the higher HP might pull ahead but only if the weights were the same.

Go for whichever one you like the best and don't obsess about the HP. This is the smallest consideration when buying a MH unless you will do nothing but go uphill. Fuel economy, in reality, is also a non issue. Really, who care if one get better or worse mileage as they will all be withing 1/2 mpg and that is a very minor difference in a trip cost.

You would be amazed at how many folks don't even bother checking the fuel economy cause it just doesn't matter. Like someone on this forum said: "If you have to worry about the fuel, you shouldn't buy it"
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

trutone
Explorer
Explorer
The 400 is most likely a ISL 8.9 engine, 1200 lbs of torque. The 370 might be a ISC 8.3, 1050 lbs of torque. That's where you would feel the difference.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the engines were mounted in the exact same MH I expect you wouldn't be able to tell the differance. I think the MHs they're mounted in will make more of a differance then that little bit of HP. Such as the differance in tires, air pressure, wheel bearing condition, rear end gear ratio, do they have the same transmission gearing, aerodynamics, weight, etc.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.