cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 to 30 amp service

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
I had an RV tech tell me I should not plug my 30 amp service motorhome into a 50 amp service.
Could this create a problem
Thanks in advance for your advice
35 REPLIES 35

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kiwi_too wrote:
DrewE wrote:
2oldman wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Obviously, it's silly to use an adapter when 30A service is available.
Really?

I do think so, in the general case. If you have a 30A coach, and a perfectly fine 30A socket, why bother with an adapter and the other socket? It seems to me to be one more thing to possibly break or go wrong. I'd also prefer to have the proper sized breaker for the lead-in cord, though that's not as big a concern in practice (as the probability of additional problems is quite limited).

There may be exceptional circumstances sometimes, such as a broken or dodgy 30A socket, that warrant doing otherwise. But otherwise, why complicate things unnecessarily?

Agreed but in many cases the 30 amp socket is worn out. I'd use the adapter.

I've also seen a number of times where the 30 amp voltage was low, particularly in hot weather, while the 50 amp legs seemed to hold up better.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:
2oldman wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Really?

I do think so, in the general case. If you have a 30A coach, and a perfectly fine 30A socket, why bother with an adapter and the other socket? It seems to me to be one more thing to possibly break or go wrong. I'd also prefer to have the proper sized breaker for the lead-in cord, though that's not as big a concern in practice (as the probability of additional problems is quite limited).

There may be exceptional circumstances sometimes, such as a broken or dodgy 30A socket, that warrant doing otherwise. But otherwise, why complicate things unnecessarily?

Agreed but in many cases the 30 amp socket is worn out. I'd use the adapter.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Really?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Park Power is one of the better manufactured adapters. In this link CSA has tested and certified the adapter. I know that is a Canadian standard and not as well known as UL but it is recognized by NFPA(NEC)
50/30 adapter

Not only is it recognized, it's been my experience working for a large medical equipment manufacturer that CSA is a lot more stringent than UL.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Park Power is one of the better manufactured adapters. In this link CSA has tested and certified the adapter. I know that is a Canadian standard and not as well known as UL but it is recognized by NFPA(NEC)
50/30 adapter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Really?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Finally Time wrote:
Perhaps he was a Winnebago Tech, Here's a quote from my 2013 Winnebago Vista Operation Manual page 6-2: "NOTE...If your coach is equipped with standard 30-amp system, you cannot connect to a 50-amp service. Do not use adapters to connect 30-amp systems to a 50-amp service or you may cause an overload on electrical system components."

I have asked my servicing dealer why not, and what components. They never heard of this before and have asked Winnebago for clarification. So far no answer.

odds are that passage from the manual was written by the legal department, not the engineers.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt you'll often (or ever) come across a campsite with 50A service that doesn't also have 30A service. Obviously, it's silly to use an adapter when 30A service is available.

actually we have, though they are relatively rare. one park actually changed out the 50-amp receptacle for a 30-amp and at another park they were able to remotely cut power to the 50-amp receptacle leaving only the 30-amp (and 15-amp) receptacles powered up.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps he was a Winnebago Tech, Here's a quote from my 2013 Winnebago Vista Operation Manual page 6-2: "NOTE...If your coach is equipped with standard 30-amp system, you cannot connect to a 50-amp service. Do not use adapters to connect 30-amp systems to a 50-amp service or you may cause an overload on electrical system components."

I have asked my servicing dealer why not, and what components. They never heard of this before and have asked Winnebago for clarification. So far no answer.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

popup101
Explorer
Explorer
The tech is fine. As any professional would do, he provided information based on appropriate codes and standards. The National Electrical Code (NEC) has a section specifically for RV's and RV Parks. It also has sections on cords and plugs, circuit breakers, circuit protections etc. In short, a 30 amp wire must be protected by a 30 amp circuit protector (breaker, fuse etc.). If you plug into a 50 amp outlet with a 30 amp cord the cord is nor properly protected, nor is anything between the cord plug and the rv main circuit protector (cord, plug, transfer switch). You are also assuming your rv's main will work properly. Don't think the tech doesn't know his job just because he provides the best available guidance based on current standards.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
Kiwi_too wrote:
. . . and you might want to look for a new tech.

Agreed. Any tech that would tell me that, would NEVER touch my MH!

Then again maybe there has been something lost in translation. Personally, I would like to hear the Techs side of the story.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Kiwi_too wrote:
. . . and you might want to look for a new tech.

Agreed. Any tech that would tell me that, would NEVER touch my MH!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I doubt you'll often (or ever) come across a campsite with 50A service that doesn't also have 30A service. Obviously, it's silly to use an adapter when 30A service is available.

Actually...have come across quite a few 30A receptacles that were in bad shape and using an adapter to plug into the 50A would be very prudent.

50A rigs should have a 50A to 30A adapter
30A rigs should have a 30A to 50A adapter

For those 'just in case' situations

And a 30A to 15A adapter for plugging in at home, friends, storage etc.

Hey OP.......

Please go back as ask the 'tech' WHY and Reasoning. Then post back.

I've seen it anyway you could possibly imagine it and don't like 30amp outlets per say with being beat up and over cooked in many cases, so I have installed a 50amp plug on my 30amp cord to ward off these sometimes contagious diseases. I carry a 30 to 50amp converter cord for when needed and also use it for connecting to my gen set, as I don't have one of them high tech pesky transfer sws. and another useless addition for maybe giving you some sort of trouble.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Actually...have come across quite a few 30A receptacles that were in bad shape and using an adapter to plug into the 50A would be very prudent.

50A rigs should have a 50A to 30A adapter
30A rigs should have a 30A to 50A adapter

For those 'just in case' situations

And a 30A to 15A adapter for plugging in at home, friends, storage etc.

Hey OP.......

Please go back as ask the 'tech' WHY and Reasoning. Then post back.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31