cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

98 Dodge handling problems

starduster67
Explorer
Explorer
Hi its me again with a new concern I guess I should have looked into this more but its spilled milk. You know I love the Coach House wide body we have a deposit on and everything works and its in great shape so why am I worried tonight? Because it is low mileage under 40,000 miles I should have questioned more but didn't,. I've been reading in some forums there's been highway handling problems especially with passing trucks. We didn't drive it on a highway it was nice on regular streets. We want to use it to travel and enjoy sightseeing going to NJ to visit family etc. We use those awful bridges(my opinion) on 50 and 301 over Potomic and Chesapeake Bay, not a good place to have handling problems. What if we are buying something unsafe, frankly I'm a little scared now. Not to go on and on please if any of you can tell me if you had problems what you did can they be corrected I want this little coach but at ages 70 and78 we want to be safe too. I hope I can get some input to settle myself down. Our deposit is non refundable and it was substantial but I'd rather lose money then possibly my life ( sorry don't mean to be dramatic) but I am worried. Thanks in advance for any and all comments and opinions. Joyce
15 REPLIES 15

starduster67
Explorer
Explorer
We decided not to buy this Coach House after all. Just some things bothered us and we felt the time isn't right. I won't say much more because I don't know if owner reads these posts. My biggest disappointment is he kept our $1000. Deposit. I didn't think people would do that. I know I wouldn't. We have learned a painful lesson we never paid close attention to the receipt they wrote out they didn't put refundable or partially refundable on the receipt. As we were in fact serious we gave that big money without any question. So a very expensive lesson be careful when buying. Maybe to some we seem stupid but no we were happy and excited and thought it was a go. I'm still hoping I'll get a refund one day maybe if he finds another buyer but I'm thinking maybe I'm gonna forget about looking for another RV in future. Just writing this and I know there ,may be caustic comments but I'm hoping others will learn from what happened to Two Seniors who really can't afford to put a match to a thousand dollar bill.

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
Do not worry. It will probably feel odd when you start driving it. That is natural and most Bs are top heavy compared to most cars and S UVs. You will get used to it and may end up making tweaks to improve handling. Whe we got our Sprinter, I was running 20 lbs in the air springs and handling was horrible. Turns out I should have been running much more. You will get used to the handling and will probably LOVE it.

scoutken
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1988 dodge xplorer which I have driven over 100k myself. I find tire pressure is critical to handling. Tag on driver door says 35 pounds in front tires and 42 in rear.. If tires are not within a pound or so of that, you will have handling problems.. Also put as little weight as possible behind the rear tires. I love my 1988 Xplorer.. good luck. Ken
Ken Newkirk
Scoutken_99@yahoo.com
1988 Xplorer Xtra Van Class B
Check out my Adventures at:

groups.yahoo.com/group/KensBigAdventure

MickD
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996/1997 Coach House Dodge Ram 3500. One thing I had to get used to was the steering ratio. Dodge uses a 16:1 or more ratio. This makes it easy to park and turn but response is slower. 4.5 turns of the steering wheel lock to lock. After driving my other vehicle with 3.5 lock to lock it is noticeable. Also it is heavy so don't run up to a stop thinking you are going to stop it like a sports car.

Mick

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned by one responder, lowering the front wheels tire pressure may prevent a tendency to oversteer and help with stability. At least, that is what I do. The recommended tire pressures for our Pleasureway Plateau TS are 55 front and 80 rear, clearly a way to obviate oversteer. I tried a higher pressure up front and the RV seemed to be more prone to side to side oversteer. As it is now, it is great and no problem. Rear airbags are a big help too as are wheel spacers on some B models, especially those with Ford chassis.
AL

starduster67
Explorer
Explorer
Barry We were told by owner it has air bags in rear and steering stabilizers he thinks they were factory installed as Coach House was trying to avoid problems for their customers. Now I do not know if its true only hearsay. Again my hubby thought it handled fine when he drove it but after reading so many forums I was the one very concerned. We aren't going to pick it up just yet due to something's cropping up but we should have her home here before the end of July. I'm always reading and learning. Thank you all for your input.

qhor
Explorer
Explorer
We have a LTV on a '97 3500 Dodge as well.
All that steveh27 mentioned doing we have done as well as Michelin XPS Rib tires. Airbags on the rear really help as you can adjust the pressure for different circumstances (60psi normal. All these help.
We now have 208,000kms on the van and it is good in pretty well all conditions.
Just accept you are driving a heavy 1 Ton "truck", not a car. Drive it a bit until you feel comfortable with the size and weight, and then decide if it needs mods. It may be fine the way it is. Some older Dodges were troublesome, however many were fine the way they came from the supplier.
Good luck and happy travelling.
Barry

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to the "Forum Tech Support" forum you will find links to tutorials, such as posting pictures, searching the archives, etc. There is also a very patient Moderator who you can send a Private Message to, and get answer/help with your questions.

starduster67
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for responses much appreciated. The more I read the more I learn LOL. Will be checking out the archives too.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing out here in left field, but I wonder if airbags (front/rear) would help, or if I'm completely off base here. I have no experience with older Dodges, but with Fords, airbags can help things by a good amount.

RnRs-RT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a "99" Road-Trek on a 3500 Dodge Ram Van. When I jump from my auto into my RT after having not driven it for a while I have a tendency to over steer or over compensate for any front end movement. Sitting over the front wheels is a different feel than other vehicles.I think some people have more problem getting used to the difference,hence the poor handling problems (just my opinion), I'm sure some complaints are legit. I have the narrow rear axle and have never had reason for the spacers although I am sure it would probably give it more stability. The only time I have any problem is under severe cross wind conditions which is true of most high profile vehicles at which times I just slow down a bit for comfort.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My 1997 Xplorer on a Dodge 3500 van chassis had some problems on the highway with wind & trucks causing my steering to sway. I bought it used in 2000 with 18,000 miles. I replaced the original shocks with Bilsteins, added the rear wheel spacers (correct track), and eventually all 4 ball joints which had worn out. Now I'm very stable & safe.

starduster67
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, I'm new real new at this forum stuff so no I haven't read too much yet but I will. Not sure how to find things yet on the forums. One good thing last night the owner contacted me he took it for a ride on the Interstate and he said it handled fine. See he has only owned it a few months himself and has to sell it for personal reasons and he never had a chance to go anywhere but local with it. I feel better today about it he said there are stabilizers under there. Guess when we get it home we'll find out what's what.

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 dodge and was worried about driving problems when i bought it and after reading the threads.I put 2" spacers on it lowered the pressure in front tires and i don't know if it had a steering problem or if i was just paranoid but i love the camper and would do it again it is great no problem parking driving and we have learned to deal with the lack of space Mine is a Pleasure Way.If you like you can e-mail me with any questions I will help anyway i can.Robert