cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A comment made about a bath & a half coach?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
In an earlier thread there was a post saying something about "vacuflush" on a coach with a half bath. There was no explanation and hoped you could let me know what it means?
24 REPLIES 24

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We dry camp a lot and, if we do have hook ups, they are usually just water and electric. We can easily go 7 days with our vacu-flush assisted 42 gallon black tank and that is with two of us using it 95% of the time. We find the system uses less water (though if you use more, it cycles faster). We also don't have the odor problem associated with an open black tank system.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
When the MH is closed up you cannot access the rear bathroom, so a mid-entry toilet lets you have facilities without opening the slide. Now that I have two toilets I really like the convenience. No reason to get into a full explanation, just works well for us.
Other things to consider. With the rear macerator toilet a safety feature locks the flushing mechanism when the tank is only about 3/4 full. Since waste is pumped into the black tank the safety prevents a full tank from pumping up onto the roof. If your really into dry camping this could be a concern.
Happy Trails.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
smlranger wrote:
Our current rig only has one macerator toilet and, if used in a 'normal' fashion, will fill our black water tank in 2 days. With more 'careful' flushing strategies, we can stretch it to 4 days.

As opposed to one bathroom and the black tank lasting 12 days for us. ๐Ÿ™‚ I fail to understand why you would need two toilets in a RV...most likely, because you're used to it in your home.

Twelve days before you have to dump? The average for us is a week and our black tank is fifty five gallons.

We like to use plenty of water to flush.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
Our current rig only has one macerator toilet and, if used in a 'normal' fashion, will fill our black water tank in 2 days. With more 'careful' flushing strategies, we can stretch it to 4 days.

As opposed to one bathroom and the black tank lasting 12 days for us. ๐Ÿ™‚ I fail to understand why you would need two toilets in a RV...most likely, because you're used to it in your home.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Some split baths have separate dump areas. Works, but not convenient. No free lunches out there.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about the water usage. Our last motorhome had a vacu-flush toilet in the rear bath. I knew it used more water than we use in a conventional toilet, so we used it sparingly. However when we purchased our new motorhome with only one bath and one regular toilet, I have been amazed at how long we can go without dumping the black water tank. The difference is very noticeable.

Ed Headington

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Something else to consider about motorhomes with vacu flush or even macerator toilets, especially if you have two of these in a bath and 1/2 floor plan. These things use more water and will fill your holding tank quickly. OK if you are on full hook up most of the time but do present a challenge if you plan to boondock. Our current rig only has one macerator toilet and, if used in a 'normal' fashion, will fill our black water tank in 2 days. With more 'careful' flushing strategies, we can stretch it to 4 days.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks gbopp, I thought it was something peculiar to a 1/2 bath, like bad smell or something! Now I realize he was talking about a product. Thanks for setting me straight!

Thanks fcooper, now I understand it. I've been on a boat where you can hear the pump working on the toilet. Thanks a lot for the added information.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
The vacuum flush type system allows the coach builder to place a toilet in a location that is not directly over the holding tank. The vacuum maintained in the system moves the waste to the holding tank, and claims to use less water.

They are used extensively in marine applications. Generally, the vacuum pumps are noisy (at least my houseboat system was noisy).

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Google 'vacuflush toilet', it will explain how it works.
(I'm still learning how to make a link on a Kindle.)