cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A funny thing happened when I winterized my RV (story)

MrLugs
Explorer
Explorer
Well this is our new to us A class that we've had for about 8 weeks now. We had a c-class for 16 years so we know our way around an RV.... so we thought. We also knew it was a fixer upper and were prepared for a lot of little surprises, but the fun just never stops.
Ok, so I started to winterize, open all drains , blow out the water, bypass engaged, HW tank drained, start pumping the antifreeze....... still pumping.....hmmm...this unit sure takes more than our old unit.. that's when I noticed the big puddle under the WH drain hole. Time for some research on a one valve bypass system (thank you RV.NET) so my check valve on the HW tank is shot and there is no rear access to the WH. So I had to pull the WH out. Now this is when the fun started... the slightest stress on the CPVC plumbing and it started to snap like Jiminy Crickets hips (at the joints) unbelievably brittle. So I told my wife, guess what we're doing this weekend dear.... and the next weekend? Removing to old stuff was easy, the slightest pressure and it snapped. So we are now in the process of replacing all the water pipes with PEX, red and blue so it will look pretty. I'm using surprising few joints as the PEX can flex around the corners making rerouting a breeze with less chance of joint leaks in the future, Oh and as a bonus I flushed out the 6 gallon water heater, you would not believe the calcium that was left after I was done, most of it was dissolved by the 2 gallons of white vinegar, or floated down the driveway but I still managed to scraped together about 3 cups worth. Rving is always an adventure whether your on the road or parked in your driveway. One day I'll tell you about the leaky skylight repair, 3.5 pounds of caulking removed later.
2000 Southwind Storm 30H 31.5'
Banks Powerpack system
2003 Jeep Rubicon Toad
and a Dog
41 REPLIES 41

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
hacker7 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Dennis M M wrote:
Paragraphs are your friends!

Shucks if my posts are going to have the grammar police jumping all over me I think I need to stop posting maybe I need to take up another career oh thats rite this is not a career but just folks looking to help other folks maybe I have that wrong what do you think I hope the OP is not offended and does not go away as there are lots of folks willing to help with actual useful information if there was going to be a test someone should have warned us.

I AGREE WITH BIll.SAELLITE. WHO CARES THE GUY IS LOOKING FOR HELP WITH HIS RV. NOT AN ENGLISH LESSON. LOOK I WROTE IN ALL CAPITALS. :h

iF yOU tYPE lIKE tHIS tHEY rEALLY gET pISSED oFF. eVEN iF yOU sPELL tHINGS cORRECTLY.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP could edit the op to have paragraphs, and then the mods could go in and blow up all the posts from the paragraph police and the paragraph police police, and this post too. Then the remaining posts actually about the subject posted could be useful to people making these repairs in the future.

theoldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Paragraphs are your friends!
It's people like you that make other folks say the hell w/this place.
'Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today'

MrLugs
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Thanks for posting. I love these posts and file away the knowledge in case I ever need it. I can only encourage you to continue posting. It helps many of us even if the grammar isn't perfect.

I have PEX pipes throughout my coach and love it. In fact, Newmar even installed a manabloc. If you can fit it in, I'd highly recommend the manabloc system. It makes future repairs and maintenance a whole lot easier.

I was considering a manifold but it wasn't practical in my layout, though the manablock system is a great idea.
Banks Powerpack system
2003 Jeep Rubicon Toad
and a Dog

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
It would be really nice if the grammar police waited until at least the first helpful post was posted.
AMEN!

On occasion, when a post is particularly hard to read due to bad spelling and grammar I have been known to make constructive comments. In a PM to the poster only
If you just have to say something I guess that would be the best way. But really, what do you want them to do? Go back to school?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
It would be really nice if the grammar police waited until at least the first helpful post was posted.
AMEN!

On occasion, when a post is particularly hard to read due to bad spelling and grammar I have been known to make constructive comments. In a PM to the poster only

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
AllegroD wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
What is the right time, after 1 reply or 5 might be better?

How about NEVER???

You are correct. MrLugs came here good honest discussion and I piled onto a snarky response. Not appropriate and with no tact.

MrLugs (and all), please accept my apology.
I think I am gaining even more respect for you!:)
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. I love these posts and file away the knowledge in case I ever need it. I can only encourage you to continue posting. It helps many of us even if the grammar isn't perfect.

I have PEX pipes throughout my coach and love it. In fact, Newmar even installed a manabloc. If you can fit it in, I'd highly recommend the manabloc system. It makes future repairs and maintenance a whole lot easier.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
jplante4 wrote:
AllegroD wrote:

How about NEVER???

You are correct. MrLugs came here good honest discussion and I piled onto a snarky response. Not appropriate and with no tact.

MrLugs (and all), please accept my apology.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrLugs wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Welcome......

Plumbing project in an RV.......that can be a challenge
PEX is a good replacement for that 'Thermoplastic Material' used in your 2000 Southwind.
Just make sure that those 'bends' are not too tight and are secured so that they don't rub on corners/edges.

And I like paragraphs when posts are long, involved. Does make for better presentation of info.

I'm still figuring things out as I go. What I found works in some areas are the plastic 90 degree bracket that you snap the pipe into, it gives it an easy bend and has a hole to screw it in place.
In other areas zip ties and even some foam pipe insulation works well.

Perfect!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Typical forum thread. More people off topic byatching than contributing.

You won't regret the PEX and I've had good results with Sharkbites too.

And it's fact that your threads will be more productive if well written. Communication is a skill just as is plumbing.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, lets stop picking on the grammar police. Some people think they are far superior to everyone else and that it is ok to correct them. It may be the only way they can feel good about themselves. Personally I feel it is very rude and should not be done.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
AllegroD wrote:

How about NEVER???
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

MrLugs
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Welcome......

Plumbing project in an RV.......that can be a challenge
PEX is a good replacement for that 'Thermoplastic Material' used in your 2000 Southwind.
Just make sure that those 'bends' are not too tight and are secured so that they don't rub on corners/edges.

And I like paragraphs when posts are long, involved. Does make for better presentation of info.

I'm still figuring things out as I go. What I found works in some areas are the plastic 90 degree bracket that you snap the pipe into, it gives it an easy bend and has a hole to screw it in place.
In other areas zip ties and even some foam pipe insulation works well.
Banks Powerpack system
2003 Jeep Rubicon Toad
and a Dog