Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on buying older diesel

cgreer00
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,
My wife and I have been looking to purchase our first motorhome for several months now and have been scouring all of the classifieds trying to find one that we like. We have looked at several and they have each had some issues, and it seems pretty hard to find one that is in great shape, needs nothing, and ticks all of our boxes, for our budget which is no more than $25,000.

Here is my current quandary: I have found a 1996 Monaco Dynasty (79,000 miles, 8.3 Cummins w/ 6 speed Allison) that looks to be in excellent cosmetic shape. The older retired lady that owns it has poured a ton of money into it. Over the past 4 years she has replaced: the PAC brake, new tires, new 12V batteries, new chassis battery, new king pin, new alternator, new battery isolator, 8 new Bilsteins, 8 new air bags, a new driveshaft, and all of the fluids have been done. She has given me the contact info for her RV technician that does all of the work to check on all of this. She said she is selling because it is too big for her (it is 40 feet) and she wants a Class B. She lives pretty far from me so I am contemplating hiring an RV inspector to go check it out and if all is good, then going and purchasing it.

BUT, here is my quandary: I have heard some horror stories about the costs of a diesel pusher. We have 2 young children and want to travel the U.S. and Canada every summer to show them the beauty of this country. We would tow a car/SUV behind us as well. We are many years away from retirement so this would not be a full time arrangement for us, but I think we would do one 3000-5000 mile trip every summer (maybe a month or 2) and then 5-10 weekend trips throughout the year (with perhaps a week thrown in for spring break or fall break).

What are your thoughts about buying a DP of this vintage? I am relatively handy and change the oil in our cars/motorcycle and do basic maintenance, but I have never owned a diesel. If there are videos online that show how to do things, I can usually watch them and then do it, so I think I could do SOME of the maintenance myself on the coach. However I would not be able to take on a big repair. I love the thought of purchasing something of high quality and keeping it for many years (the interior and overall craftsmanship of this coach is far beyond all of the gassers we have looked at) but I also know that a really nice coach costs more to fix as well.

I would love to hear your thoughts, and I have attached a photo of the coach.

Not sure if you all can see the photo above...it isn't showing up for me and it won't let me post a link to it either.
28 REPLIES 28

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Good thread. I am thinking of doing the same.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Delam is a major problem when you have wood framing. The water has let the fiberglass skin come loose for the metal framing of the Dynasty... more cosmetic and not structural. The Dynasty has always given the most bang for the buck in my opinion. It's a lot of MH but you never say the price.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

True_temper
Explorer
Explorer
Where is it at I want to buy it.

bitster98
Explorer
Explorer
Being a owner of a coach of that vintage I would be leery of a few things you mentioned. That's some really hard parts to have replaced on a rig with 76k on the clock. Driveshaft/kingpin? Does not sound like it was only driven to church on Sunday. Check and make sure the body is connected to the frame at the floor level. Has the roof had 500 zink screws run through it. Has it spent its life on the coast? Be aware non slide coaches have a really low value. If it was me I would probably start in the 9k range. Keeping one of these old rigs up and in road ready shape ain't for the faint of heart and that's no bs. Joe.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I bought a high end 1997 40ft DP 6 years ago. 8.3 Cummins, Allison, etc. I have been in many NEW entry level DPs that aren't near as well made or equipped and it tows my heavy car trailer over the mountains just fine......only problems were a failed radiator hose and the throttle cable broke. Both were pretty simple to fix. I did replace the radiator just because the cooling fins were failing and I didn't want to get caught on the road if it went out. I have driven it 40,000mi and would love to get another newer one but its paid for and it works just fine + at 76 years old why do I need another one?

In America, it's seldom a question of need and more so of want, especially with big boy's toys.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

I bought a high end 1997 40ft DP 6 years ago. 8.3 Cummins, Allison, etc. I have been in many NEW entry level DPs that aren't near as well made or equipped and it tows my heavy car trailer over the mountains just fine......only problems were a failed radiator hose and the throttle cable broke. Both were pretty simple to fix. I did replace the radiator just because the cooling fins were failing and I didn't want to get caught on the road if it went out. I have driven it 40,000mi and would love to get another newer one but its paid for and it works just fine + at 76 years old why do I need another one?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
As an extra note, whatever the Coach purchase, one should never spend their last dollar on it and must be prepared to spend thousands in some cases, while out there on the road somewhere and even if it was next to perfect, when you got it.
Just saying, that when you're talking budget, you must still have an emergency backup account of some sort.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rmatt
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Do engine oil, gen oil, coolant and trans fluid analysis before purchase.

This is probably the most important recommendation.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like a great coach for that kind of money. One thing that stands out from your post is that it had king pins and a drive shaft replaced. To me that may be a warning of how often it was serviced and greased. I would go with the others and have an oil sample on the engine and genset.

I have a friend that has the same coach and is very pleased with it. The engines on those can be uprated in horse power if needed.

Good luck!!
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 1995 Beaver. In my opinion built as good as the Monaco. We have put 50,000 miles on it in 5-6 years. De lamination is most of the time only cosmetic if caught early. Ours has the original appliances except water heater and they still work great. The 8.3 Cummins is as solid as any Diesel built maybe better. We did have a hydraulic pump failure that cost plenty to fix. I now change my hydraulic fluid and filters on schedule.

We tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 door jeep all over the west with no problems. We will not win the race to the top but never fail to make it. Personally I would have a hard time changing coaches because I feel the quality is no where near the same as late 80s early 90s were built.

Pogoil.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having owned a 96 Dynasty for many years, I can attest to their quality. IMO, you'll get lots of useful life out of that coach. Personally, I'd look at the delam "issue" but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. The 8.3 is a solid engine but again IMO it's underpowered for that coach if you intend to pull a heavy toad. I'd look at a lightweight toad such as a good used HHR. 3100#. Take a good look and have the oil tested. Check the tire date codes. New tires will set you back around 5k. Oil changes, filter changes lube and inspection will set you back about $300 @ SpeedCo. I never did my own oil changes, and still don't because of the number of quarts of oil needed.....Dennis

Oh! and here's a picture of my old rig....D

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
You won't get much better than a Monaco Dynasty, one of the best built out there, would buy it in a heart beat, Just my thoughts as I have a friend that has the same rig, only in a 38'.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
it sounds like a good deal but look it over good. I've had my 94 american eagle for 3 years with no major problems 8.3 cumminns with Allison just turned 140000 miles on the way to Yuma in January, if you make the purchase enjoy

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a steal. Delamination can be repaired. Watch some videos on YouTube. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it checks out as described.

As far a maintenance goes: Look at difference in an oil change. Since you are doing it yourself, you're talking about 3 oil changes on a gasser vs 1 oil change on a diesel. More oil on the diesel but 3 times as often on the gasser. You'll also get better mileage, more power, much more comfortable ride, a lot quieter, longer lasting engine, higher towing capacity and a lot of other benefits.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C