cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice Traveling in a 1987 Georgie Boy

dbourrut
Explorer
Explorer
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1987 Georgie Boy that has been pretty well maintained. Would you consider traveling from NY to California in such a vehicle?

In advance, thanks for your thoughts.

Drew
15 REPLIES 15

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
If it isn't electronic fuel injection, run away, don't walk. Our first rig, in 2002 was an '85 Class C with a Ford 460 with a 2-barrel carb and enough smog gear to run a small city.

The best mileage we ever got was 6.1 mpg at sea-level. Once in the hills, it dropped significantly. When we went into eastern WA, over a 5200' mountain pass, we got just over 4 mpg.

Our much bigger Class A (see sginature) with a fuel-injected V-10, gets 7.5 mpg or sometimes better, regardless of altitude and it is much easier to drive.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
dbourrut wrote:
Gale,

That is a really good point that I had not considered.

However, its all moot. We decided to purchase a much newer MH... 1990.

The difference in condition was so significant that I have no question on taking this one anywhere.

Thanks all.

Drew

Sounds good. Keep going up until you hit $10K in purchase price and you might get closer to a 2000 than you think.

We got our 1993 32' class A for $7995 seven (7) years ago. It had 5 year old tires and shocks and a GM remanufactured transmission with 14K miles on it.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely flush the brake fluid before going any place. Brake fluid absorbs water from the air that causes corrosion on the internal brake lines and parts and will also boil if the fluid gets hot on a downhill run. If the fluid boils you will have no brakes.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Gale Hawkins wrote:
dbourrut wrote:
Tires are virtually new. Based on the DOT date they are from 2011.

Our plan was to take a short trip from LI New York to DC and evaluate whether to come back or go on.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Drew

The fact they were recently spending real $$$ on the MH would be a huge plus if I was in the market for one. Tires are often purchased due to a planned cross country and things like shocks, batteries, etc.

That was my gut feeling also, but...

I would make sure all six tires had that 2011 DOT code and not just 2 or 4. If the inside dually have old tires on them, then that would tell me they are putting lipstick on a pig, and to run hard and fast.

Other then that here is what I found out with my '96 GBM Cruise Master. This forum makes it sound like there are many old MH going coast to coast all the time. The simple truth of the matter is that my (when I sold it) 15 year old MH was about the only older MH in any park that had out of state plates. As far as that go there were very few older gas MH in any parks that we stayed in. We would see a few older diesels though, some even had out of state plates.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

dbourrut
Explorer
Explorer
Gale,

That is a really good point that I had not considered.

However, its all moot. We decided to purchase a much newer MH... 1990.

The difference in condition was so significant that I have no question on taking this one anywhere.

Thanks all.

Drew

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
dbourrut wrote:

Our plan was to take a short trip from LI New York to DC and evaluate whether to come back or go on.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Drew

The fact they were recently spending real $$$ on the MH would be a huge plus if I was in the market for one. Tires are often purchased due to a planned cross country and things like shocks, batteries, etc.

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Check anything and everything , take a good shakedown cruise purchase a good sam or coachnet policy.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it! see signature.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a carbed 460 Ford engine, you'll probably be working on it trying to keep it running.
Been there with one of those, make a trip, work on the engine.
That John Deere chassis is pretty good, just needs some track bars on the axles front & rear so it will handle better, to get rid of most of the tail wag & fighting the steering wheel.
F/I engine came out in 1989, which was a world of difference for the 460 Ford.
Neil

dbourrut
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for the thoughts,
Drew

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
I would try to get a newer model (1991) with overdrive and fuel injection. Do several small trips to shake out any bugs before heading cross country.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Much of the answer depends on your skill level (and interest) in dealing with a 27 year old machine.

If you are a competent shade tree mechanic with time, it could work just fine.

No mechanical skill/interest, it could consume you.

Right on point. If it truly has been taken care of and you have the skills/tools/interest in doing the necessary maintenance/repairs it will work out just fine. If you don't have this level of commitment - RUN not walk from it.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
A big factor in your decision should be the age of the tires. Since you have no idea of how well maintained the tires where and whether they sat in the sun baking
any tire over 5-6 years old should be very suspect. IN fact I would buy new steer tires if the ones on the rig are over 5 years old.
Look on the tire for the DOT date if you do not know how to find it someone here will show you
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
We did 8K 31 day trip to Pacific Ocean in 2011 in our 1993 GBM 32' Class A.

Brett's reply is on target. We put some time and money in prepping our MH for the trip. We had a roof leak that started at the radio antenna so make sure you walk the roof. Soft spots in roof is a sign of leaking we learned.