cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Bags....

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
...no, not suspension airbags, but SRS airbags for a Class A MH. Is there any feasible way to install SRS airbags in an older coach? Even if it means updating to a newer Ford steering column? One could conceivably find complete systems in a wrecking yard, perhaps. What about passenger side airbags, any thoughts there?
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad
11 REPLIES 11

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'll just opt for a water bumper.....

Water Bumper
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The only correct way to add SRS airbags to a coach would be to replace it with a newer coach.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
Even if it means updating to a newer Ford steering column? One could conceivably find complete systems in a wrecking yard, perhaps.

You do realize the "newer" coaches don't have airbags, right?
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Not even legal unless subjected to government approved testing.
Do you want defective parts(think TANAKA) in your home giving you a false sense of security?

Do you mean TAKATA? 🙂

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Going to be very expensing. A lot of the system will have to be new since recyclers won't sell certain pieces such as the bags. Liability is too great. Considering the interaction of the SRS processor with Engine Control Module and Antilock Brakes you might also have to up grade those systems. I think the decimal point just move to the right on the cost.

that's why I said just not feasible.Autowreckers in my area of the world save and sell all working air bags + components and sell such as big $$ for them
there is a place in texas that reprograms a tripped controller

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air bags are also known to kill smaller people, so don't think DIY installation would be advisable.
Than I think air bag will work when you have solid wall the bag can cushion you against.
How many solid walls you have on your coach?

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going to be very expensing. A lot of the system will have to be new since recyclers won't sell certain pieces such as the bags. Liability is too great. Considering the interaction of the SRS processor with Engine Control Module and Antilock Brakes you might also have to up grade those systems. I think the decimal point just move to the right on the cost.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Do you want defective parts(think TANAKA) in your home giving you a false sense of security?

not sure theres any law that prevents a person from installing airbag system in their own vehicle?

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything can be done but you need a lot of parts besides the airbag itself. You would also the the computers, accelerometers, gyroscope, and a whole bunch of ancillary components.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
...no, not suspension airbags, but SRS airbags for a Class A MH. Is there any feasible way to install SRS airbags in an older coach? Even if it means updating to a newer Ford steering column? One could conceivably find complete systems in a wrecking yard, perhaps. What about passenger side airbags, any thoughts there?

where threre is a will theres a way. Feasable? in my opinion no

I don't see the point in doing this nor how they would be effective
in a Class A