cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment and Tire Rotation

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I have to get my Roadtrek Versatile in for an alignment and tire rotation next week. I am concerned about the damage that could be caused to the components underneath the motor home. Has anybody experienced any damage problems getting the alignment and tire rotation done?
5 REPLIES 5

Explorer
Explorer
A regular tire alignment shop could not do my Roadtrek. Nor could Chevy as they send alignments out. The alignment place Chevy sent me to did not have the height in the shop and even if they did, they did not have a rack that could handle the weight. It was recommended that I go to a truck shop that will have a pit to work in. This way no damage can be done as the Roadtrek never goes up on a lift.

My regular garage does my tire rotation when they change my oil. They use a jack lift outside the shop and lift up the Roadtrek on the side that way. It has been fine done this way now two years in a row.

If you go to a shop with a lift that can handle the RT you must show them what is under the van before they attempt to drive it onto the lift. Also call their attention to the ground effects on the sides. These can easily be damaged on a lift. Be insistent. The problem is most of these places have never seen a Class B before and have no idea and treat it like a van. I have heard too many stories about damage done.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, the "upfitter" (RT in your case) suggests/recommends/whatever slightly different alignment specs than does the original vehicle manufacturer. I've long thought that was because of all the "extra" weight they add to the unit.

I'd suggest you contact RT and ask what are THEIR alignment specs, and provide them to the facility you choose to have the work done - IN WRITING.

Separately, in our case (PW, not RT) I have always wanted to speak with the "tech" who will be doing the work to be SURE they understand that the undercarriage is lower than they usually encounter - even for a "remote (to us) city oil change. Even then, I want to SEE our PW go up on the "rack" to be SURE there is adequate clearance. In my experience, it sometimes takes some "blocks" at the rear axle to allow the plumbing to clear their lift. They don't believe it 'til they see it.

I much prefer to have a slightly upset "tech" than their simply offering an apology about the damage that has been done.

Sometimes a flashlight, a bit of persistence, and/to some dirty knees, keep our PW humming along just fine.

JMHO.

Cheers.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to a place that specializes in truck alignments.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
That procedure requires the use of two different racks. Rotation is the one to warn the Service Department about as the will generally put the RV on a frame lift. Alignment requires a drive on rack and no jacking is involved.
Just have them be careful of the lower components when driving up on/over either of them.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Just tell them to be cautious with it, ask them if you can watch.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B