cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I special or what?

bigdad1
Explorer
Explorer
Took our "Bus" in for repair about 3 weeks ago, to find and repair a water leak, and repair air ride in divers seat. Also while it was there, I decided to have the front T.V. replaced and add a satellite dish, and repairs to sound system. I wanted a certain dish system, and gave them a copy off the internet of what I wanted, (a cheaper system)portable, that could be mounted on top. Got a call to pick up the unit, and everything was repaired/installed. Now, does everyone have this problem, or is it just me? The jobs were not done. The leak was not found or repaired, the dish was not installed and was different than what I wanted, it was only portable. Now, this is not the first time we have had this happen. Seems there is a communication problem between me and the service writer and between him and the technicians. Two of the problems are: the dish I wanted is no longer available and they didn't know we had shut valve under the sink to top the leak when we were camping. A simple phone call would have helped them and me. Hopefully we will get everything corrected but can't believe this only happens to me.
21 REPLIES 21

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
Sounds like you went to Poulsbo RV just South of Seattle!

LOL...I was referring to shops in Wenatchee, but I did go to Poulsbo RV in Everett ONE time several years ago....Never again!
X-2

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V knowing that there were things that needed to be done/maintenance, etc. We bought the RV from a dealer that also had an RV
service business. From the beginning of our relationship with White River RV and Sunset RV in Bonney Lake, WA. we had problems. They are too numerous to elaborate on here but needless to say, I found that doing some research on the
internet and asking questions on this and other forums gives me the necessary
tools and knowledge to "fix the rig" myself. I've actually enjoyed some of the
repairs I've been able to do, even to putting in a tile backsplash in the kitchen and replacing the slide out toppers and most of the decals. Anyway, tried Pouslbo RV also but they were so backed up we couldn't get an appt. in any reasonable time frame (two months wait we were told). So the local Ford
dealer does the oil changes and I do the rest. Happy Camping everyone.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:

LOL...I was referring to shops in Wenatchee, but I did go to Poulsbo RV in Everett ONE time several years ago....Never again!
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Obvious communication problem....that said, IMHO, it's YOUR responsibility to convey to the service writer what you want done. They can't be mind readers that you shut off a water valve. When they checked, nothing leaked, so they're good. It was your responsibility to make them aware of changes. Also, again, my opinion, but if I wanted someone to buy and install a certain sat system, I'd have checked it out on line to ensure I was getting the best possible deal. If that had been done, YOU would have known it was out of production. Begin by looking in the mirror and learn from this experience. If it's important to YOU, then put everything in writing when talking with the service writer. I've done this on occasion to ensure things are done to my satisfaction when I return. Things should be kept simple and understandable.

i.e. there was a water leak at the kitchen sink that I want repaired. When I turn the faucet on it leaks on the cold water side. I've turned the valve off so it doesn't leak. Here's the sat system I want installed, if it's not available, please call and we can discuss alternatives.

I'm sure if you'd done that, you'd be a satisfied and happy camper at this point...leave nothing to chance and you won't ever be disappointed......Dennis

We've never had the problem either. However like you we provide the service people with a written description of the problems and any pertinent information necessary. Sometimes we even include pictures.

I suspect others having problems may not have been able to properly communicate the details of the situation and expected outcomes. In many cases the owner has experienced the problems for some period of time. They "assume" the person they are trying to communicate the problem to has also experienced the problem and is aware of how to fix it.

As for installing a satellite different dish than the customer ordered, The fact that it was unavailable should have been communicated back to the customer, along with a list of comparable alternatives.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had the same problem at shops in my local area. I actually watch what the service advisor writes on the work order and have had to correct what he wrote because he didn't write down the explicit instructions of what I want done.
Giving explicit instructions didn't help. The local shops still didn't do everything I requested.

I think the mechanics are given a time frame to complete a vehicle whether it's done correctly or not. My guess is if they actually took the time to complete the job and repair everything correctly, they would probably be accused of working to slowly and eventually lose their job.

I finally located a Coach-Care facility 180 miles from where I live in Spokane, WA. I have used them a few times, and the repairs and service has been excellent. They have qualified mechanics that know the chassis, engine, trans, and all related coach equipment, and have completed everything exactly as I have requested.

I don't know how much extra training and experience the mechanics and service advisors have to go through to be a certified Coach-Care facility, but I will drive the 180 miles to have work done there because I know it will be done right.

I just wish there were more of these facilities across the US.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had the same problem. The shops at motorhome dealers need to get more in line with the shops at car dealerships. The car dealers are all about customer service and making sure people come back and buy their next car there. RV dealers don't seem to care so much about that.

Also, I think there is an issue with the repair people who work at RV dealers. You generally have to be a mechanic to work on the engine and driveline, but I don't think there is any similar requirement to have any training or certification to work on the house parts of the motorhome. I think they simply hire people off the street and then they get on the job training in how to fix things on an RV.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
You are not the only one with problems. I purchased a NEW coach in January brought it home and let it sit till May when I took it back to the dealer for warranty work. 8 of the 10 storage compartments would not lock, the molding around the doors needed renailed, major water leak from sink, bath and kitchen sinks, storage door broken, only 2 of 3 remotes for TV.

Dealer said I should have not taken posession in January so they needed "Permission" from manufacturer to repair. I drove 235 miles round trip for nothing. 2nd trip made for repairs 2 week later, at which time, they sprayed******in the storage locks, added 3-5 air brads to molding, put 2 new screws in the broken storage door, and used a wrench to tighten all water leaks.

July 7th made appointment with dealership for 8 August, for warranty work. Light under kitchen cabinet did not work, 2 storage locks still not working.
Crack in roof. Upon arrival at dealership, they said they ordered wrong light fixture, did not have new lock in stock, and crack in roof would take 3 days to repair bring it back, again after I drove 115 miles to get it fixed, so I drove home, still with no repairs.

I am not afraid of announcing my dealership which is GENRAL RV, Akron, Ohio. I do not recommend them for anything. I have absolutely no confidence in General at all. I will no longer take my vehicle to them for repair/service.

I have contacted Coachmen and have asked for them to let someone else to my work while the coach is under warranty.

So, you are not alone, I think everyone should pass the word about bad dealers.

Of course, this is just my $.02 and thanks for letting me vent.

G George
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, it isn't necessarily communication; there are good repair shops and bad repair shops, just like with anything else. We have had experience with one very bad repair shop - we refused to even leave our tt there after talking with the service manager (who didn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground), and several experiences with a very good repair shop. I would rather drive 200 miles (which we did) and know I am getting a job done and done right than drive 10 miles away and wait months for service that never happens.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I love reading these. Don't get me wrong, it's not about my getting pleasure at someone else's expense I'm talking about here. It's just that I do about 95% of my own servicing on nearly everything I own (it's both a gift and a curse). Problems like I read about here are one of the reasons why I do my own service. However, when your dog tired, hot, sweaty and covered in grease and oil it's good to realize that at least your getting the job you wanted done correctly and probably saved a good deal of $$$ too.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Previous owner got charged for a trouble shoot on the genset after he told them several times that the coach DC power needed to be on to start the generator. Mostly communications. None of his switches were labeled so I went nuts with the Brother P-Touch after I bought the bus.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Once I found the right shop, the problems have been zero. Redlands RV and Performance in Redlands, CA. Top notch shop. Every item that I've ever had them fix or service... .done right the first time!

I'm elated that I still have good ice-cold dash air in my coach for 2.5 yrs. now that they fixed where Colton Truck in Colton, CA, charged me three times and did zero. Their service had been hit and miss, they also gave me a bad alignment.

Love Redlands RV! Benlo RV in Indio, CA, is also good for minor repairs, etc. Cummins Central Power in Kansas City, MO, is also excellent as they have a 'Coach-Care' facility.

While in TN, I have found Town and Country mobile RV repair located in Olive Branch, MS, to do excellent work too (servicing Aqua-Hot and replacing the Red Hat valve that allows you to fill fresh from shore water).

Lot's of good places, ask around.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Since, I am the customer, the service writer, and the mechanic. I have found communication is not hard to complete. In 6 yrs. I owned MH's (2) 1 DP and 1 gasser, I never had to use a shop. Could always figure out the problem or use a mobile tech (1) time. I could set there and watch them so communication was no problem.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, I thought WE were the special ones!!! We took our MH in to have all caulking replaced on top, to find the leak on both slides AND to fix the dash air. After 3 weeks, they called at 3:45 PM on Friday afternoon and said come get it. they had hail damaged rigs coming in Monday. I asked if it was done and he replied that they'd ordered parts. I suggested that since my rig was there first, maybe they should complete those repairs first. NOPE. So we hauled ass and got there by 4:30, DH climbed on the roof to check the caulking -- nope, not done. I went in the rig, someone had had a party -- pop cans and can wrappers all over, and no work done on the dash air. We went in to get our keys..............he said we had to pay $275.00!!!!! For WHAT! He said they done the caulking........we told him they hadn't. Took a few yes, no, yes, nos, and then hubby said he'd gone on the roof and they had NOT done the caulking. The man then turned the page on the order pad and said "oh, it says here we didn't do the work". I grabbed the keys and we left. He had the nerve to call us a week later and say the "parts for the A/C" were in......he was talking about the ROOF A/C!!!!!! We had said the DASH A/C.

Never went back there again!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend