cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Extended Service Contract Question/Extended Warranty

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
If you already have an extended Warranty and add a new device, as an example a new exterior refrigerator and the motor home didn't have it previously. Is it covered by the extended warranty?
24 REPLIES 24

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Scott Blanc wrote:
Extended Warranties, Service Contracts and Mechanical Breakdown Insurance policy coverage varies from one provider to another, but speaking for Good Sam Extended Service Plan, we do cover items that are added or replaced outside of the original factory, as long as they are a covered item to begin with, and that they are properly installed.

We recognize that items like refrigerators may only last five years or so, and will need to be replaced. Since we cover RVs up to 18 years old, we would cover the replacements. Likewise, you may add things like awnings or a satellite dish from an after-market source, and as long as these items are correctly installed, they will be covered by Good Sam.

Scott, thank you for your appearance and replies on the forum. I have two theoretical questions for you regarding your Good Sam program.

1. Coach has a Norcold absorption refrigerator. An authorized service facility has determined that the cooling unit needs to be replaced. The coach owner would like to install a residential refrigerator.

Would the Good Sam policy pay the shop, or coach owner, up to the charges that would be incurred to replace the cooling unit, even if the final invoice from the shop did not specifically show an absorption cooling unit replacement?

2. Coach has a single LNB King Dome unit that is diagnosed as requiring repairs or replacement.

Pretty much the same question 1. If the owner decided to upgrade to something like a Winegard multi-LNB unit, would the Good Sam policy pay the shop, or coach owner, up to the charges that would be incurred to replace the King Dome unit?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I just sent you a PM, I had a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS TT that had a dealer installed inverter that was hard wired into the coach. I provided the receipts showing the dealer installed the inverter but the claim was declined. I ended up replacing it myself with a self installed unit because of the denial. I was going to have Good Sam install the replacement.
FMCA member

Scott_Blanc
Explorer
Explorer
Msturtz,

This has been our policy for a number of years. If you want to send me your info off-line, I will review the claim to see if it was denied incorrectly or if there was some other issue involved.
Scott Blanc
Vice President and General Manager
Good Sam Extended Service Plan
sblanc@goodsamfamily.com

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Scott Blanc wrote:
Extended Warranties, Service Contracts and Mechanical Breakdown Insurance policy coverage varies from one provider to another, but speaking for Good Sam Extended Service Plan, we do cover items that are added or replaced outside of the original factory, as long as they are a covered item to begin with, and that they are properly installed.

We recognize that items like refrigerators may only last five years or so, and will need to be replaced. Since we cover RVs up to 18 years old, we would cover the replacements. Likewise, you may add things like awnings or a satellite dish from an after-market source, and as long as these items are correctly installed, they will be covered by Good Sam.

When did that change occur? I got screwed by Good Sam ESP because the inverter died. The original inverter was installed by the dealer and Good Sam ESP told me that they wouldn't cover anything not installed as a factory installed item. It cost me over $600 to replace the inverter on my own. I was quite upset. I was told tough luck. I paid out of pocket. The Good Sam ESP people told me that they do cover anything installed by Camping World and added to a unit but no other certified dealers.
FMCA member

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JFC wrote:
When my policy expired and I was trying to decide if I should purchase another one, I was told by the dealer that anything not installed by the factory would not be covered.

Dealer installed equipment is usually covered under ESC contracts. BUT, the item must have been installed prior to the contract. Doug

Scott_Blanc
Explorer
Explorer

Scott Blanc
Vice President and General Manager
Good Sam Extended Service Plan
sblanc@goodsamfamily.com

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would depend on the policy. I just got a warranty through Wholesale Warranties and ask the same question.

Example:
The electronics in the RV are covered (TV, Radio etc.)

If I replace the stock single LNB dish on the roof (which I am going to) with a Traveler will the extended warranty cover it?

They said:
Yes, as long as I had a receipt that the install was done by someone authorized to do the install.

Now I have not had to use it yet so I don't have actual experience that says they will cover it.
I did however have the experience when they inspected my rig for the warranty that my DVD player wasn't working so they did not warranty it. When I faxed them a receipt that it was fixed they added it to the warranty.

Best case is to ask the question.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
When my policy expired and I was trying to decide if I should purchase another one, I was told by the dealer that anything not installed by the factory would not be covered.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Adding a NEW appliance will mean the appliance will already have a warranty.
2. So, to be on the safe side, you will need to contac your ESC and ask if the new appliance needs to be noted or if your contract already covers added appliances.
3. MY HOME ESC does NOT cover refers that are NOT in the kitchen, but you can include additional refers by paying a few dollars extra a month.
4. If you add expensive extras(wheels/DVD/GPS systems) to your Automobile, you MUST call your insurance company and tell them. They usually will want those extra's noted and you may pay a few extra dollars for the additional equipment.
Better to be safe than sorry. Doug

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer will probably vary from Warranty Co to Warranty Co. You'll have to either post who your warranty is with to see if there's someone with the same warranty company who has dealt with this, or call your warranty company. I don't know if mine would since it's not part of the original RV.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.