cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Experience with these Brands/Makes?

JCGibson
Explorer
Explorer
We have narrowed it down to these new Gasser models and hopefully will be able to see these in person either at the Kansas City or St Louis Shows this month.

Fleetwood Bounder & Southwind
Tiffin Allegro
Newmar Bay Star
Winnebego Sightseer & Vista
Forest River Georgetown XL
Thor Challenger
Holiday Rambler Vacationer

We would like to hear your real world experience and insight for each of these models. On paper, they have similar chassis (22K or more) and 22.5" tires. Any likes or dislikes for your particular model, build quality and how is the company themselves?

Thanks.

John
John (USAF Retired) Cheryl (Mid School Teacher)
'16 Newmar Ventana 3709 Sold
'16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA traded
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab sold
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL sold
'12 Voltage V3200 sold
'09 BigHorn 3400 sold
'06 Jayco Octane sold
'04 Jayco Baja sold
22 REPLIES 22

artillery6
Explorer
Explorer
We have had one Bounder, two Southwinds and now have a 40X Discovery. All were and are great vehicles.

Camper_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add my vote for Winnebago and Newmar. I worked at a major RV dealer in the service department a few years ago and have seen them all, new and used. I owned a 2007 Winnebago class C and now have a Newmar class A. Newmar has some of the best cabinetry and overall fit and finish. Excellent build quality. Definitely stay away from anything made by Thor.
2016 Itasca Navion 24J

JCGibson
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the replies. Much appreciated!

John
John (USAF Retired) Cheryl (Mid School Teacher)
'16 Newmar Ventana 3709 Sold
'16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA traded
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab sold
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL sold
'12 Voltage V3200 sold
'09 BigHorn 3400 sold
'06 Jayco Octane sold
'04 Jayco Baja sold

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
CG Dawson wrote:
Have had our Fleetwood Bounder for 12 years now and it has been a fantastic rig for us. So we would definitely give Fleetwood a look.

X2 we had a 1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow for about 14 years if it wasn't for the p30 chassis it was on I would still have it.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

CG_Dawson
Explorer
Explorer
Have had our Fleetwood Bounder for 12 years now and it has been a fantastic rig for us. So we would definitely give Fleetwood a look.
Happy RV'ing!!

Greg & Jackie
2003 Bounder, 32W / Ford V10 / 2 Slides
Toad: 2004 Saturn L300, Brake Buddy

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had four Winnebagos dating back to a LeSharo which was an early small diesel van/motorhome. I loved it. Owned two Vistas and traded up to get more features-2010-30W and 2012-30T. When we saw the Sightseer 35G we bit the bullet and traded again. The floor plan and features are perfect. We have never really seriously looked beyond Winnebago. I have had some issues with the new moho and all have been addressed well. Winnebago dealers are very helpful. With my last one I needed some warranty work on a camera and a dealer worked me in quickly and did the repair and I didn't lose a day of travel. I recommend Winnebago without hesitation but again the advice I hear so often holds true for me. Find the floor plan you like and then go from there.

myrtle_beach_rv
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our 2nd allegro gasser with 11 years of tiffin experience and are very happy with tiffin quality and features.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 32CA
Toad 2012 Jeep Patriot
Prev. 2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
89 Coachman Catalina

Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Stick to Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago. Good luck!

X2

In the case of the Winny, it's nice to know I can get parts for an old MH.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Were currently on our 3rd Winnebago RV and I have been RVing since 1976 and we have had very little problems with them that's why I keep buying them. If I buy a 4th it will be a new Winnebago Adventurer DP. The only RV that I had problems with was a Fleetwood that I owned in the 90's! Constant problems with the FW but in FW defense they always fixed everything at no cost to me.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:

Those are the 3 best on your list. Long track record of quality, factory support after the sale and under the original ownership. They are the only ones that have not been gobbled up by a conglomerate with interests outside of the RV industry. Saying that of the 8 RVs we have owned in the past 35+ years, only our current Tiffin is still in business. The others have all gone out of business, been acquired by someone else, or the tradename was resurrected after a few years as an orphan.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:

Pull Newmar out and pitch the others
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
We had an early Winnebago, 1972, it was a nightmare! My wife nick named it a "Winnegriefo" and it was. Massive electrical and interior problems. I am on my 4th class A now with a 2003 Monaco Safari DP, very pleased with it. Had a 1985 Allegro, 454 engine. The coach was OK but the engine was terrible.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Bounder, great mid-priced gasser with loads of features. Owned it for 5 years now.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a 2004 Southwind on a Workhorse chassis and ran it 110,000 miles over 8 years. Would have kept it and spent bucks to refurb the interior if wasn't worried about the next 100,000 miles on a gasser.

Current coach (see signature) is Diesel so no help there, but Tiffin owners are generally happy with their rigs, can get factory service and are treated far better by the manufacturer than I ever was by Southwind. But Southwind has been through a couple of ownership changes since I owned one. If I wanted a gasser Southwind would be high on my list along with Tiffin.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526