cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever drive off with a slide out left out?

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm the only one to have ever done this? I drove off from a gas station where I had extended the slide about a foot to allow the kids to grab clothes from the dresser in the back. I figured it out soon enough but man was that embarrassing and dangerous.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
29 REPLIES 29

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
On my present MH, if you release the air brakes the slides come in, jacks come up, and steps come in. You better be prepared!

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Not a slide, but...
Drove about 3 miles with the door awning extended...
Drove about 60 miles the front Generator slide extended...

No damage either time, lucky I guess!
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
On our previous coach we were returning from the service facility which was about 80 miles from storage. It was getting late as we arrived back at the storage garage and I needed to get something out of the back closet so I opened the rear driver's side slide.

Guess what? Yep, from being tired and it getting dark (winter time), I forgot to retract the slide. Slowly I start to pull into the garage and 'crunch'. I stopped immediately and realized what I had done. I got the sickest feeling in my stomach.

Thank goodness all that happened was that it bent the trim at the front edge of the slide (no slide mechanism damage). I called Monaco the next day and they directed me to one of their repair facilities. I had to leave the slide out about 3-4 inches so that the metal wouldn't scratch the side-wall paint driving it about 80 miles to drop it off.

The damage was fixed and a pricey learning lesson. Our current coach will not move until the slides are in (safety switch on the transmission).

So, yes, slide extended once!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Drove off with the door awning out once, but not a slide.
2014 American Eagle

SnoBear
Explorer
Explorer
Just get a "Wide Load" sign for your front bumper. You'll be fine ....

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
I've left the antenna up several times, different RV's, never hit any overhead wires or tree branches. Remembered one time and several times pointed out by other RVers.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Army11Bravo wrote:
We circled the block and waited for a cop to investigate the accident. Since the guy parked illegally in a red zone too close to a corner, his insurance had to pay for HIS car and the damage to our motorhome!

Sometimes, we just get lucky. :B

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedJeep wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Do folding steps count?
Just once.

LOL. Well since I'm being honest, I've left the steps folded out on my trailer and old class C.

Back in the day, my dad left the steps out on our Midas Class C and on the way home, the driver of a Toyota Celica had parked and was opening his door as we drove by. The look on his face was priceless as our steps ripped his door open and fold it on to his front fender.

(Yes, it was a very unfortunate accident.)

We circled the block and waited for a cop to investigate the accident. Since the guy parked illegally in a red zone too close to a corner, his insurance had to pay for HIS car and the damage to our motorhome!
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Never did that but I did drive off in the car with the fuel pump nozzle still stuck in the filler pipe. It broke off as designed and spilled nary a bit of fuel. Felt like such an a__. The attendant didn't blink an eye just like it happens every day.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does moving from one end of CG to higher other end with all 3 slides FULLY extended cause our end was flooding count :E

How about moving from one really lousy site to other side of CG where there was a better scenic site with all 3 slides FULLY extended count :H

OK moving out of a site and relocating to another site cause the large living room slide out wouldn't retract and site we were in was part of 'group reservation' :B

Never done it 'unintentionally'---------but on purpose
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
While re-positioning MH's at our RV shows, I've moved some of them with all the slides fully out. We have someone outside directing me. It's a weird feeling.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
yes, I pulled forward from our regular spot by the house, got about 6 feet before I hit the shed.

got real lucky 1 piece of trim fixed it.

What doesn't kill ya, should make ya smarter.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
RedJeep wrote:
Maybe I'm the only one to have ever done this? I drove off from a gas station where I had extended the slide about a foot to allow the kids to grab clothes from the dresser in the back. I figured it out soon enough but man was that embarrassing and dangerous.

never have, but iam sure your far from the first and I can see it being easy to do sometimes LOL

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Do folding steps count?
Just once.

LOL. Well since I'm being honest, I've left the steps folded out on my trailer and old class C.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do folding steps count?
Just once.