cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use Consumer Cellular phone service?

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to know if anyone uses Consumer Cellular mobile phone service. Do you get good coverage with the phone and data packages? We go to Florida for the winter and are thinking about changing to this company but need to know if the coverage is any good. We stay in Naples so any help anyone can give us about this would be appreciated.
Steve& Linda Young
Winnebago 2012 Adventurer 35P
12 REPLIES 12

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both AT@T and Verizon at the same time. AT@T coverage was much better for us. I have ended my relationship with Verizon. Just wondering, does CC offer MiFi?

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Although I try to avoid Walmart like the plague, I have to say the $30 LG smart phone with the $45 a month straight talk unlimited talk text and data is hard to beat. And there is no contract.

We did the same last Feb. and are extremely happy with the savings and service. The phones we purchased are on the Verizon towers and give us the best coverage where we travel regularly. Fla. in the winter and PA and the northeast during the summers.

Headed to California in Oct. so we will see how the service is in the west then.

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 bits:

No, we've not used Consumer Cellular, but for several years we used ATT, whose cell network they use. Over those years we developed some pet peeves, largely due to gaps in their service, both in urban, suburban, and outright rural areas, so when our most recent contract came due, we jumped to Verizon.

Now, if you search for this forum's favorite cell phone service, it would be Verizon, hands down -- at least from my personal interpretation of many posts over the years. In fact, that impression was very important in our decision to switch, for we wanted better overall service.

Well, did we realize it? We've had Verizon for about 2 months now, using it, again, in urban to remote areas, and the service is not only no better than that offered by ATT, it's costing us more.

So, count us, so far, as unhappy Verizon customers -- we'd be much happier, I suspect, with CC, or still with ATT.

Just one couple's opinion ...
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Have had Consumer Celluar for 2+ years. Wife & I share 600 minutes +5000 texts and more data than I could ever use. $58.00 a month including taxes. Never any problems with service and I would rate their customer service as some of the best. US based.No contract. Cut our bill in half.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've had CC for about 2 years and it's been fine. My wife and I each have a phone and pay a total of $36/month with taxes. We are not heavy users. Signal is good anywhere AT&T is good, which has been most places.

Of course when one gets into the middle of nowhere out west, there probably isn't a tower to latch onto no matter what company one has.

We are AMAC members so we could switch to Club Cellular (which is on Verizon network) and save a couple more bucks per month, but it's not enough to bother buying new phones for.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and with Consumer Cellular (CC) there is no contract, so you can cancel at anytime.

We wanted a higher-end phone than what CC had for sale so we purchased our own unlocked GSM phone from another source.

CC provided the sim card and helped us set up our phones.

Another small perk is CC offers an AARP discount.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

francheska
Explorer
Explorer
HI we are about 6months in the US eery year have used Consumer Cellular for over 3 years. Excellent
customer support and have had no problems with signal coverage. We are mostly on the west coast and
Arizona but have use it in Florida. What is so nice is that you can use your computer to change your level
of service, plus pay your bill on line all this at your convenience. Have never had a problem with over billing ext. Problem with pay as you go your minutes can expire. We even bought a new smart phone called C. cellular and they quickly sent us a new sim and helped set the phone up. No charge. Good luck

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that is great! Thanks for the info. I believe we will be changing as well. Our Verizon bill is over $180 a month and we don't have unlimitied anything.
Steve& Linda Young
Winnebago 2012 Adventurer 35P

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
We switched to Consumer Cellular in May of this year. Wish we could have done it sooner but we were under contract until then.

We love it. We have two phones on our account and we have had good signal reception so far.

It's not unlimited talk, text, and data like we had before but we aren't big-time users so we were paying for something we weren't using. Our plan of 1200 talk minutes, 5000 texts, and 1 GB of data works fine for us. The nice thing is if you find that you will be going over on any of your limits you can go up to the next level of service for that month and then drop it back down to the level you were at the next month. They provide alerts to your phone so monitoring your use is easy.

Every time I have called customer service my call has been answered in less than one minute and reps are all U.S. based so communicating with them is not an issue.

Our bill went from $137/month to $64/month.....we're elated. 😉
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Although I try to avoid Walmart like the plague, I have to say the $30 LG smart phone with the $45 a month straight talk unlimited talk text and data is hard to beat. And there is no contract.

Not OP here but thanks for the info! I have been waffling about which one to buy and that one seemed like the best deal. Thanks again for tip.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I use Consumer Cellular. Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's network. I have their $20.00 a month for 600 minutes plan for my phone and the wife has 600 minutes, 1500 text messages and 2.5 gig data for $50.00 a month. Both plans offer a small discount for AARP members. Their customer service is good and you can changes plans at any time with no additional service fees. You get notification when you get close to your plan limits.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work