cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Approx Maint Costs For Used 28' Class C After Purchase?

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Been thinking about buying used rental class C unit, possibly Four Winds Majestic 28A (thanks to input from gotsmart, Iamichabod and a few others on this forum) but am wondering what to expect for how much approximate costs would run for the following work to be done after the sale, I have no experience with this, but am I looking at $$$ or $ or what? (Now I know it can vary quite a bit but just trying to get ballpark idea). I guess its more piece of mind

Here's the list (stolen from another suggestion elsewhere but I cant find the link now):

1: Having the black/grey/fresh tanks professionally cleaned.

2: Drop the generator, have it checked out the right way by the Onan people, and to prevent headaches, slap a new carb onto it just to be safe. Plus, during this stage, I can get an EnergyCommand system installed which gives the ability for the genset to auto-start if the batteries get low.

3: Change the spark plugs and coils. Ford V-10s are reliable, and this is a relatively small thing, but good to have done.

4: New tires. (I thought they sold these units with new or fairly fresh rubber?)

5: Furnace and ducts cleaned out if possible.

6: Fluids flushed and changed (oil, ATF, etc.)

7: Change out batteries, perhaps add another in parallel if there is room to the house set. Some class Cs have a drawer that can fit two... but just have a single present.

8: Change out cooling hoses and clamps

Does the above sound reasonable and any idea on about how much this may run for 28` class C?

As always any input is appreciated...
27 REPLIES 27

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
BoxinTheCompass wrote:
Been thinking about buying used rental class C unit, possibly Four Winds Majestic 28A (thanks to input from gotsmart, Iamichabod and a few others on this forum) but am wondering what to expect for how much approximate costs would run for the following work to be done after the sale, I have no experience with this, but am I looking at $$$ or $ or what? (Now I know it can vary quite a bit but just trying to get ballpark idea). I guess its more piece of mind

Here's the list (stolen from another suggestion elsewhere but I cant find the link now):

2: Drop the generator, have it checked out the right way by the Onan people, and to prevent headaches, slap a new carb onto it just to be safe. Plus, during this stage, I can get an EnergyCommand system installed which gives the ability for the genset to auto-start if the batteries get low.

3: Change the spark plugs and coils. Ford V-10s are reliable, and this is a relatively small thing, but good to have done.

4: New tires. (I thought they sold these units with new or fairly fresh rubber?)

7: Change out batteries, perhaps add another in parallel if there is room to the house set. Some class Cs have a drawer that can fit two... but just have a single present.

Does the above sound reasonable and any idea on about how much this may run for 28` class C?

I would not do numbers 1 through 8 until necessary!

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why ? Your **** is as dirty as their ****. Run soap and little bleach through the black tank is enough.

Why fix it if it is not broken ? Do you know when was the last time these things got replaced?

Why fix it if it is not broken ?

Ok if it is too old

??? just imaging you stay of the hotel

Why fix it if it is not broken ? Do you know when was the last time these things got replaced?

vinny68
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, the rentals sold by Cruise America generally don't come with an awning, rear ladder or TV unless you negotiate for those items at purchase. You may want to budget some for those if you want them.

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Wow such great input from everyone... I have generator for home during our hurricanes here in Florida so we just put the storage mix in the gas tank and stow it away

But great input and kind of makes me a little less anxious on the purchase when we do it. Sort of shopping now and will purchase next year sometime.

We will be renting for a couple of short vacations to be sure but hope to see ya'll on the road

Have a blessed day!

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Some people rent RV's for spectating at NASCAR races, etc and walk around on the roof and sit in lawn chairs. Some drive them hard on rough roads because they are rentals. Take a look at the roof condition, check for patches in holding tanks or other evidence of hard usage/abuse.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
You have a lot of money in your proposed to do list. Personally I'd skip most of it and apply the $ to the newest unit you could afford.

Even then you still may need tires and fluids changed. Tires check date code and tread wear.

But on you list I'd skip the tank cleaning, the generator work (do an oil change), the furnace maintenance (unless problems), the spark plugs (unless due by the book), and the rest of it only as needed or called for by Ford maintenance schedule. You'll have issues pop up that you don't anticipate. Hoses last much longer than they used to. I'd inspect them but not start thinking of replacement till 8 or 10 years unless obviously failing.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Havent seen many rentals out there, guess it depends on where you are at. Many are rented by foreign tourists and they are not real good at taking any care of what they have. When I was out in the country a lot I saw rental unitsw where it was hard to take pickups and in places I would not take my pickup with a camper on it. So yes you could get a good one but you are also looking at a pig in a poke. As to rentals doing better maintenance that is somewhat debatable. Remember maintenance as precaution takes away from profit and profit is what they are after. How many miles on the unit you are looking at and what year model vehicle? If all else fails take it to an independent agency for a complete checkout. Good sam supposedly will give it a once over for free at camp world so see if that would be a possibility prior to purchase. Just a thought.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, rental RVs are often better maintained than privately owned motorhomes. The main issue is wear and tear. Appliances, tires, etc. making sure all are in good working order.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

tworootless
Explorer
Explorer
Transmission service for peace of mind and tire replacement if sidewalls checked or over 6 years old. If you set on stalling a second battery, they should be purchased at the same time. Change oil on Generator. If it's operating smoothly; leave it alone!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I go along with Tenbear.
If you were to do most of the items it would be around(guess only) $3000.
1)Holding tanks don't need professional cleaned. They need to have some liquid dish soap and used.
2)0 I would not do anything except run the genset under a good load at least 75% of rating.
3)See if rig has maintenance records. Some V-10s had issues with getting plugs out. If they have not been changed, get it done.
4) Tires check them out.
5) Clean the furnace and vacuum out ducts.
6) Fluids change them all, don't forget to have brake fluid flushed and changed.
7) Good answer from Tenbear
๐Ÿ˜Ž Change them out. Don't forget the belts!
If you haven't bought the rig, try to get the seller to do some of it as a negotiated price.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what year the 28A is. That makes it a little hard to estimate.
1. Unless you have a reason, waste of money.
2. Age? How many hours on Genny? How does it run now? Probably wouldn't do anything.
3. Age? How does it run?
4. Check the DOT date. Replace if over 6 years. Some may say fewer years.
5. Age? How does it run?
6. Age? Not a bad idea anyway.
7. Have the battery load tested. If you plan on off grid camping add batteries or switch to GC2 batteries.
8. Age? Mileage? How do they look? How nervous are you?

Seems to me most of these are a waste of money unless you have a reason for spending all that $$$.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
number one sounds like a waste to me.
bumpy