cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avg length of travel? Not really a tow'd question

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Couple questions for the full timer class A folks. I'm starting to see the reality of retirement and hopefully full timing. I have no type of RV yet and we have a new minivan. So when considering a class A, it would probably be a gasser due to cost and likely be financed (I simply do not have, or will have $100K cash). But I can afford the payments and still have a good budget for the adventure. But since I will have a payment on that, I sort of wanted to see if I can go without buying a car to tow.
So here is an idea of mine (they are not always very good). I was thinking one of us could drive the minivan and one will drive the RV. I realize this takes away from the whole co-pilot help/conversation thing, but a little separation may not be so bad.;) My question is, how far do you drive from place to place? 6 hrs? 8 hrs? I don't plan on camping in Fl, then Ma, then La, then Ohio. I was thinking a more orderly path and not bounce around.
Has anyone considered the separate vehicle option. The minivan is really nice around town and will only have about 50K on it when we start.
Did I make sense? Thanks for any input!!
23 REPLIES 23

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought.... since you are going to be making payments, you might want to look at a several year old diesel pusher. For example, if you were going to look at a 4 yr. old gasser, you might could look at a 6-8 yr. old diesel pusher. The diesel coach would probably be a little more upscale with real wood cabinets, etc.

Also, you won't have to sell the minivan and you will have 10,000 lbs. of towing capacity. If your van is not towable four down, a dolly might work.

You know the fine folks here at rv.net don't mind helping you spend your money.

Safe travels and good luck.
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Relax. When you're retired, there's no reason to push yourself with the driving. We generally don't drive more than 250 miles on our travel days. But we've also driven as few as 50.

Is there any reason you have to decide about the tow car immediately upon retirement? Perhaps you could try driving the van separately for awhile and see how you like it. You could buy a different car and/or tow setup later, if you feel the need. Whenever we are (or have been) in a situation to drive the vehicles separately, we use two-way radios. In addition, two cells phones would be good to have, as one vehicle can get lost in the dust and out of range. Ask me how I know! I was driving the car, and it didn't start as we were exiting a mall parking lot. Motorhome was long gone before I got it started. Spouse decided to stop at a different gas station than originally planned. Couldn't find each other. After that incident, we always drove the car in front of the motorhome, because MH couldn't always see car behind it, but car can certainly see MH behind, even if several vehicles back.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
A dolly for the van was a thought, but the van weighs 4540 from the factory. Put some stuff in it and add dolly weight and I am over the 5000 lb limit on towing that I have seen in the specs for gas class A's. I'm assuming the gas class A will have it's challenges it the mountains, not sure adding 5-6K lbs will be a good thing. I hate the thought of selling a low mile van for a car, especially when I'm not really fond of the selection for four down towing.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
No real specific times on the road but do always plan to get somewhere for the night around 4-4:30 each day... Like to get setup and enjoy a good supper...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do about 6K for out summer trip. Would not be without a Toad.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Look on craig's list, we got our tow dolly for $700 to pull our minivan with. We drive 3 hours take at least a 1 hour break then drive another 3 hours. If we need to dual drive we break every 1.5 hours and still drive for 6 hours total.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are in our sixth year full timing and like Old Biscuit above, we do pretty much the same. We average about 20,000 miles a year. Driving two vehicles will get old quickly. Also, the added cost of driving that second vehicle will far outweigh what you'd pay for a decent car to tow, to say nothing of the extra wear and tear on the driver....sell the mini and get a toad...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
We full timed for 7 yrs.

We traveled weekly.....sometimes every 2 weeks from one location to another.

Majority of travel days were 200-250 miles.

Leave at 10AM and then setting up in new location by 3PM--------15/20 min potty breaks plus stopping for lunch.

Separate vehicles would get old..........due to the 'single driver' aspect.
We hit the road to do it together.

Have you checked as to 'towability' of your minivan-----even with dolly etc.

Check at REMCO.COM about your particular make/model
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
If $ are a concern than the dual driving will work. A couple of radios and headssts would be a good investment for communication. I never travel more than 6 hrs in a day, I don't like setting up in the dark and at 37ft I like to know exactly where I'm going. You could also consider a tow dolly like I use. I have a very basic one, no brakes or anything, works great.
Hope this helps.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".