cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Banks Power pack finally installed - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

ThorResidencyNe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just wanted to give everyone a before and after comparison of the Banks Power Pack and Transcommander install on a 460 motor, based on my personal experience. I had heard lots of good and bad things about this kit. For the 460 it seemed like most everyone liked it (not so positive for the V10 engines). Anyways, I made the jump and purchased the entire kit. I had it installed last week by the Gale Banks Company.

The installation went pretty smooth for the installer. The one thing I was worried about was broken manifold bolts. However, luckily there were none. What I did notice when I looked at my old cast iron exhaust manifolds was that both sides had 2 to 3 inch long cracks on the inside of the manifolds between every port (something I couldnโ€™t see before). The installer said I was lucky that they were not completely cracked through or it would have burnt the plugs. I was also a little surprised and annoyed that the all inclusive kit did not include enough pipe to fit a 37โ€™ MH. I was charged an extra $227 for a 3 foot piece of stainless pipe. I feel that the kit should include that, but what can you do.

Also, the installation technician was having trouble installing the cold air intake lid and K&N filter. He didnโ€™t think it was possible to install it and recommended that I just leave it off. I knew I was not going to do that, so I agreed to work on it myself. (The technician did take an hour of labor off for that.)
Anyways, I knew I wouldnโ€™t be happy without part of the kit installed, so on Saturday I tackled the install job and was able to get the intake lid, filter and cold air intake tube all mounted up. I also removed the heat shield over the exhaust tip as it hid the beautiful Banks chrome tip and there was nothing above this shield to protect from heat.

Now on to the good part, the testing. I noticed on my drive around town that the MH has a HUGE increase in power. I found myself actually racing the cars in the next lane out of the lights (something I never did before). I wasnโ€™t even using all the power and the MH was beating everyone across the intersection. The looks on peoples face when the MH moved that fast was priceless. Now, I know that is not how I should be driving and I wonโ€™t do it in the future, but I was just excited to try it out.

I also took the MH on the freeway and was just as impressed. On some mountainous roads around my house I had noted before the Banks kit that the MH would downshift to 3rd on almost every hill and drop down to about 45 - 50mph or less. On one hill I would drop down to 40mph. After the installation, the MH didnโ€™t even shift out of 4th on most hills. The one hill that almost maxed the MH out in 3rd at 40 mph, I was able to actually accelerate up the hill past semi trucks and I crested the hill at 65mph. An incredible improvement!!
The final indication of the improved power was in the normal freeway cruising. I use to cruise the MH between 55 and 58 mph. That was where it was comfortable at. I could go faster, but I had to work the engine to consciously do it. After the Banks kit, I was just cruising along like normal and noticed I was going over 70 mph. I had to make a conscious effort to SLOW down. The MH just seemed to want to effortlessly run at 70 or above. What an AMAZING difference!!
My final thought is that anyone thinking of doing this install on a 460, do it if have the chance. You will not be disappointed. As for the fuel savings, that will be hard to guess as it is just so much more fun to drive the MH!!!!! Thanks from a happy Banks customer.
10 REPLIES 10

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I misinterpreted your statement - you didn't mention flowmasters when you were talking about the motorcycles - so I assumed you were talking about the Thorleys making the noise - my mistake

royl
Explorer
Explorer
I love the Banks system that I installed on my 460. The headers are quieter by far than the manifolds were, just a little louder at the exhaust tip but sounds much healthier. Runs much better and the fan clutch hardly ever locks in even here in the desert.
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
havasu wrote:
Unlike the Thorley headers, the Banks system is extremely quiet.
I find this a strange statement. Thorley is 14 gauge steel and very quiet in the engine compartment - quieter than oem manifolds. Banks is 16 gauge which would make them louder in the engine compartment. Most comments I have found on RVnet state Banks is louder than manifolds in the engine compartment. Either one is probably quiet enough.

My comment about revving the motor was a result of the Flowmaster mufflers that the previous owner installed. Kind of loud, and not very efficient. The Magnaflows flow much better and are noticeably quieter.
IRV2

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
I too have the 460 with the Banks and the cold air inlet.

We are 38' with tag (22,000#) and a toad (2000#) so I'm not saying that we sprinted up the long climbs on the I15 (San Bernadino and Primm) but we were holding a steady 35-40mph all the way to the top. On the flat she will run 65mph+ until I realize the speed we are doing and have to slow down ๐Ÿ™‚

Unlike the Thorley headers, the Banks system is extremely quiet.

I need to check our MPG when we fill up on Wednesday, but I anticipate around 6.5mpg

I inherited mine from the PO and so am even happier.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Banks really makes a big improvement on the 460 motor. Mine could barely make it up my private mountain road in 1st gear until I had it installed. Second gear from then on. No improvement in fuel usage, though.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
ThorResidencyNewbee wrote:
Now on to the good part, the testing. I noticed on my drive around town that the MH has a HUGE increase in power. I found myself actually racing the cars in the next lane out of the lights (something I never did before). I wasnโ€™t even using all the power and the MH was beating everyone across the intersection. The looks on peoples face when the MH moved that fast was priceless. Now, I know that is not how I should be driving and I wonโ€™t do it in the future, but I was just excited to try it out.
The day I installed my Thorleys I took it out for a test run. Was sitting at a stop light next to 2 sport bikes, which were revving their engines, just because. Couldn't resist, so I put it in neutral and rapped the throttle a few times. Funny to watch their heads whip around.
IRV2

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
While I didn't spring for the Banks package, headers and exhaust basically transformed my 460 motorhome. Definitely worth the time and money.
The 460 is a power beast if you let it breathe.
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I put the same stuff on my previous MH with the 460 and was also impressed. No big mileage increase but it was so much nicer to drive, especially on the hills. The Transcommand really made a difference in the nice crisp shifting-it used to be slushy. I have a V10 now so I'm not making any changes, although I have the early version which is less HP than the current ones.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I like when a plan comes together!
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
You check back with us in about a year and let us know what your costs are and what you're getting for mileage. Right now I suspect your driving it harder than you were because it has something "new" on it, I predict you will be disappointed in the near future when you actually put some miles on it and a few tanks of gas through it. I'm not just guessing or being negative I'm speaking from experience.