cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery drain...question

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Without being connected to shore power (to run converter), my house batteries lose about 15% of charge in a 24 hour period. As a result, I've been trying to locate the source of the drain and believe it is in the box that allows switching from antenna, cable, sat., etc. located beside the front t.v. When I disconnect the line for that unit from the fuse box, the drain stops so I'm sure that is the culprit. But, now I'm at a loss as to what to do about it. I could simply leave it disconnected solving the drain problem. I know it's needed to amplfy the antenna signal but we rarely use the antenna. Quetion: is it needed when on cable or sat.? If not, I'll just leave it disconnected. Thanks for any input. / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
10 REPLIES 10

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

Are they wired in a balanced manner?

goufgators wrote:
Ray.. There are two 12v batteries for the coach.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators, Give your batteries a load test. It seems like you might have a battery that is going or is bad. The so called parasitic drain should not be the problem for two good batteries.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
How many house batteries do you have on that coach? I have six batteries and to drain them it takes a lot of use.

Ray.. There are two 12v batteries for the coach.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
How many house batteries do you have on that coach? I have six batteries and to drain them it takes a lot of use.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

boba
Explorer
Explorer
my amplifier for the surround sound and the tv draw even when my house switches are off. look for the little red light. i unplug both when in storage.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
A BIG drain is the carbon monoxide and propane sensors. Mine are connected to the 12V starter battery. Had to put them on a toggle switch. When not using the motorhome I simply turn them off.
Otherwise, it's the normal "phantom drains" such as the radio memory and on-board computers that govern the motor and things like that.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

The usual parasitic loads on my RV amount to about 24 amp-hours per day.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
You also have power uses that will drain the battery for the gas detection/alarm system, refrigeration control power and the fresh water pump low pressure switch, 15% drain per day may be significant but not unexpected

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
goufgators wrote:
Quetion: is it needed when on cable or sat.? If not, I'll just leave it disconnected. Thanks for any input. / Larry
No it is not needed for other TV signal (cable, SAT, VCR,,,) just the roof antenna amplifier. My question, Is the on/off switch on the switch not stopping the power usage?

Thanks for the reply. No, the on/off switch makes no difference.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
goufgators wrote:
Quetion: is it needed when on cable or sat.? If not, I'll just leave it disconnected. Thanks for any input. / Larry
No it is not needed for other TV signal (cable, SAT, VCR,,,) just the roof antenna amplifier. My question, Is the on/off switch on the switch not stopping the power usage?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53