cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best gas card

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I travel quite a bit in both motorhome and cars. I am interesting in your opinions on best credit card options. I know there are specific brands that have cards and loyalty cards and if you use a combination of those I would like to know but I am most interested in the credit card that gives discounts or cash back on fuel at any station where I use it. It would be a card I use exclusively for fuel and allows me to shop for best price and convenience and not lock myself into a particular brand. I appreciate all input. I use gas not diesel if that is significant.
34 REPLIES 34

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Some bad info being given here. First, I was notified by mail that the 5% was being reduced to 3% with a $25.00 annual fee just last week. The notification went on to say that if you open a specified account (listed in the mailing), the annual fee would be waived and you would continue to get 5%. They offer a couple of different cards. I'm referring to the "Platinum Cash Rewards" Visa card. For me, I opened a $1000.00 Money Market Certificate Account and will now continue to receive 5% and no annual fee. There are some other ways of doing it. The Money Market Certificate (1 year) is making .5 percent. My savings so far this year have been over $375.00. The card is well worth it for me.

Side Note: We're currently on a coast to coast trip on I-40. People talk about the discount cards for TA, Flying J and Pilot as though they're great deals. So far on this trip, only one Pilot station had a better price than other large name brand stations with RV access. The prices of the three truck stops have been averaging between .5 cents to .10 cents a gallon. You would need their discount cards just to get them down to the price of everyone else.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'm married to an accountant and she found a Visa card Chase United Airlines Mileage Plus and we get lots of miles and 0% if paid in 30 days. We went China from VA on it. We charge everything on it, diesel, repairs, gas, groceries Capmground fees etc.

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Goodsams pilotflyingJ card. I like being able to fill up without have to keep swiping the card. Fill up get the cash price and go. I have a diesel with a 150 gallon fuel tank. Ten days before the bill is due I get an email telling me how much they will deduct from my checking account. I have automatic payment which gives me a 2500 limit. As many know you must pay the entire amount off each month.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if you don't put in monthly in an account for the 5% gas card it is going to cost 25.00 a year for the card. That's the Pen-Fed card..
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
jcthorne wrote:
Looking at replacing all our gas cards with a PenFed card. Think I will give the card a try....
As of 8/16/13 Pen Fed changed without notice to their customers of the Platinum Rewards card. You still get 5 points per dollar spent but now to redeem the points you need 11,800 points to get $100 back. They increased the points needed by 18%. That nets to about 4.1% actual cash back. Very deceptive since they know most people relate points to $.

Not necessarily the wrong PenFed Card (Plantinum Rewards) but if you get the "cash reward" card, you avoid the points and get cash at the end of each month. (they take it off your monthly statement) And you still get the 5%. They just started requiring that you also open a money market savings account but you only have to put $25 in the savings account and you get the cash rewards visa card. We only use the card for fuel and it is an easy way to account for all fuel used during the year.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

jcthorne
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at replacing all our gas cards with a PenFed card. Think I will give the card a try....
2008 Damon 3575 (38ft, forward kitchen)on Ford 22k chassis

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We have to look into this thanks

bill_h
Explorer
Explorer
RV-1/2n-FUN wrote:
bill h wrote:
Penfed limits you to 12 transactions per day. OK for buying gas, but not for a day of shopping.

That must be some awesome day(s) of shopping!!!!

well, we only go to town once a week, and are still finishing out new house, so the cards get a workout..

And then.................There's Quartzsite. ๐Ÿ™‚
NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
Right now the Walmart credit card is the best around for many places. Using it I get a $.15 discount on Murphy gas. Actually filled up at $3.02 earlier this week.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
To eliminate any problems, it is always a good idea to notify your credit card company and let them know when and where you will be traveling. Obviously a CC can rack up a lot of charges going from one state to another and sometimes this will raise some concerns. By letting them know in advance, it may just save some hassle while on the road.

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
bill h wrote:
Penfed limits you to 12 transactions per day. OK for buying gas, but not for a day of shopping.

Yikes, since my wife also has a card that's about 10 too many. :B
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
bill h wrote:

That must be some awesome day(s) of shopping!!!!

bill_h
Explorer
Explorer
NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

Steve_Martin
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, and I thought I was getting a good deal with my Wally World Card..5 cents off a gallon. I did the math, and as another commenter stated, this is not a good deal. On a $25 gas bill the 5% back gives you $1.25..on the Wally World card it is on 40 cents off...I think I'm switching!! ๐Ÿ™‚