cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best gas engine, is V10 good

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for 32 or less, class A. Note will probably not need diesel as will be moving to MI, WI or such, wouldnot use in winter, nor "travel a lot" in other seasons. Want 32 or less due to size restriction in parks etc, just two of us,do not need more.

So if we rule out diesel, what is best gas engine? We have son in law who had Ford with the Trition V10 in truck, had one mess after another, but he is ot exactly know for mechanical skills/knowledge. Many said the "Triton V10 has issues as Ford tired to make a V what ever is needed, rather then dedicated single unit.

So what oare experiences with gas engines, failures, great ones, repairs and routine maintenance, etc What is expected miles before major works. Note will do lite maintenance work, oil, fileters, etc. Am mainly diesel guy so no much experinece with the gas.
38 REPLIES 38

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I had a problem with my 06 V10 that required a tow. As part of the 06 three valve change Ford also went with an electronic throttle. Drove to my local Sam's club on a Sunday evening after coming home from a weekend trip. After waiting a few minutes for a pump lane to open put the coach in drive and stepped on the gas. No response and check engine light on dash. Was able to idle to a back corner of the parking lot and called ERS for a tow home. Pulled the fault codes and a couple of mechanical checks. Found the throttle motor failed. Figured I couldn't make in any worse so I took it apart and found one of the motor magnets had come loose. JG welded if back into place and has worked fine since. Towed home Sunday back to the gas station on Tuesday.

Great power train.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
As son in law has had one mess, rebuild, etc after another. He is NOT very mechanically inclined and dealer or someone making lots of dollars off him. He has a series of various issues with the V10, he now has a V8 and begining to sound like issues here, He claims he was told the V10 had a lot of problems by dealer mechanic. Jusst want to verify what reality is on RV's by those that used them.

Seems most folks had good experiences, although odd not one posted of bad happenings. We are looking at almost any year, maybe even new. Was fan of diesels but doubt use on flatlands and limited traveling, increased costs for both engine and generators. Sp wanted to know from those who drive them. Note have 150 with 5.0 and runs great but will not win any economy runs and has 169K miles.

We are as interested in cold weather uses (not -10 or such) as might used bird hunting, etc. Want to be able to use it and not do 100% winterization until forecast are 15-20 or so, then have to redo all to take it for weekends. Also how well done for late Fall, early winter it is set up. We checking otu all issues we can find prior to even looking at then physically. Know what we will spend and learning what we want, and takin needed time to do so. Thanks to all for posts, did not expect so many

CraneMan
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto, I had over 90,000 miles on my 2000 Tioga, just basic maintenance and lots of good memories.
2003 Sea Breeze LX 8311

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
setraveler wrote:
We are looking for 32 or less, class A. Note will probably not need diesel as will be moving to MI, WI or such, wouldnot use in winter, nor "travel a lot" in other seasons. Want 32 or less due to size restriction in parks etc, just two of us,do not need more.

So if we rule out diesel, what is best gas engine? We have son in law who had Ford with the Trition V10 in truck, had one mess after another, but he is ot exactly know for mechanical skills/knowledge. Many said the "Triton V10 has issues as Ford tired to make a V what ever is needed, rather then dedicated single unit.

So what oare experiences with gas engines, failures, great ones, repairs and routine maintenance, etc What is expected miles before major works. Note will do lite maintenance work, oil, fileters, etc. Am mainly diesel guy so no much experinece with the gas.

Would you care to elaborate on what type "one mess after another" he's having with his v10??

We've put 90,000 hard miles on the v10 in our 2000 coach with nary a problem.

Thanks
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't state if you wanted to buy a new coach or a used coach? If your buying a new RV then Ford Triton V-10 is your only option and this is for any RV from 2010 to present (there maybe a Big Block Chevy out there in a 2010 RV model that was a late seller?). If your buying a older RV from 2001 to 2009 (Big Block Chevy's were last produced in December 2009) with a Workhorse Chassis then Chevy can be a option for you to buy. I've owned in the past a 99 Fleetwood with a Ford Triton V-10 and I currently own a 04 Winnebago With the Chevy 8.1 Vortec. Both are great engines! I prefer Chevy over Ford and that is my personal choice.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 38' Newmar has a Ford V10 362 HP, 457 ft/lbs torque, a great engine and has towed my Jeep Wrangler coast to coast, over the Rockies, without any problem. Very strong engine and well balanced.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford 6.8L V-10 is a proven and reliable power plant.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2009 Ford V10 F250 for 5 years. Did not put alot of miles on it as it was mainly used to tow our 5th wheel. In those 5 years all I had done was 2 oil changes per year at the dealer and absolutely nothing else in need of doing.
Hoping our class A will treat me as well.

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Two answers:
First: If you plan on buying a new coach then the Ford Triton V-10 is, far as I know the Best Gas engine currently in production... It is also the worst one, and in fact the ONLY one. So your choice is easy, You have to pick from a field of one.

On older rigs.> Even though it is curretly blown I rather like my 8.1L Vortec.

Still, an honest review of both engines (The GM 8.1L Vortec and the Triton V-10 from Ford) comes up rather well balanced. Basically a coin toss.

HOWEVER there is one fact supporting the Vortec V-8 that can not be ignored...

If you ask who makes the best TRANSMISSION, the shouts of ALLISON will drown out all competition, EVEN FORD says Allison is best (Their latest automatic heavy duty tranny is billd as "The answer to the Allison)

the Allisons do not fit the Ford Triton V-10 Though I Have seen FORD rigs with Allison transmissions they did not have Ford Engines (in fact note even the chassis was Ford,, the only Ford parts were the fenders and such).

I know I am very happy with my Allison, that puppy is great.

I don't see much in your post that I can take seriously.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two answers:
First: If you plan on buying a new coach then the Ford Triton V-10 is, far as I know the Best Gas engine currently in production... It is also the worst one, and in fact the ONLY one. So your choice is easy, You have to pick from a field of one.

On older rigs.> Even though it is curretly blown I rather like my 8.1L Vortec.

Still, an honest review of both engines (The GM 8.1L Vortec and the Triton V-10 from Ford) comes up rather well balanced. Basically a coin toss.

HOWEVER there is one fact supporting the Vortec V-8 that can not be ignored...

If you ask who makes the best TRANSMISSION, the shouts of ALLISON will drown out all competition, EVEN FORD says Allison is best (Their latest automatic heavy duty tranny is billd as "The answer to the Allison)

the Allisons do not fit the Ford Triton V-10 Though I Have seen FORD rigs with Allison transmissions they did not have Ford Engines (in fact note even the chassis was Ford,, the only Ford parts were the fenders and such).

I know I am very happy with my Allison, that puppy is great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Southwind 32V V10
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 99 coachman with a v10.Just changed the plugs for the first time with 80k miles.No problems ,plugs came out easy.Used a 3/8 air impact with a few swivels and very low air pressure and all the plugs came right out.I have never had any major engine problems.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2003 30 footer with a Ford V-10 a year ago with 21,000 miles and so far in 10,000 miles, no problems at all and it pulls strong. Gets from 7 to 11 MPG, pulling a lite car. After a certain year I don't think you'll have much choice as Ford pretty much has the market for gas powered motorhomes unless you go diesel or one of the small sprinter chassis motorhomes.
Jayco-noslide

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
Own a 99 Pace with V10. Just need to torque spark plugs. I have scheduled to do every 5k miles. Not often in MoHo. Unless I go south, then 5k miles might come more often.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
My MH has 32,000 miles and NOT THE first PROBLEM . One happy camper :B
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ