cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST gps

etchison
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best GPS have looked at the 7 in -at camping world both seem to have problems

Truckers gps is it better than the CW- two that they advertise

I want to buy the last one -have tried three -but need height clearance .
Really a good one no wrong turns etc.

Suggestions???

thanks etchison so AL
20 REPLIES 20

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
RV Volunteers CONUS wrote:
I'm on a very slow connection, can you download the low clearance to more than one device that you own? Trying to get on their site.

Yes, once you purchase one version, you have access to all of the other versions. You can also get a free low overpass POI file at POI-Factory Low Overpass It is a GPX file that will import directly to a Garmin unit. If you have another device or program that will accept CSV files, you can convert the GPX file with this program Extra POI Editor

You will need to create an account at the POI Factory if you don't already have one, but it's free.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
You can add Low Clearance Alert Warnings to any Garmin Nuvi, with over 3600 warning locations across the U.S.

You can also add this to my favorite Laptop based GPS, Streets & Trips. And DeLorme, along with TomTom, Google, and Navman.

And all low clearance underpasses/bridges are well marked with big warning signs, which usually still give you some wiggle room. There are not many around anymore unless you are in the inner city or way out on side roads. I learned a long time ago to read highway warning signs!

I'm on a very slow connection, can you download the low clearance to more than one device that you own? Trying to get on their site.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure what the best GPS is. Mainly it comes down to preference. But I can tell you what isn't the best; the RVND 5510. Pretty expensive paperweight.
2013 ACE 29.2

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
absolutely agree- you must double check the route. A GPS is a wonderful tool but it WILL lie to you on occasion. I love our Garmin 2450 but never do I trust it implicitly.My buddies Rand Mcnally had all the appropriate info loaded in but still tried to send him on a road that not only would have been inappropriate but also illegal for a rig his size.

Normph
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the Garmin Jack and Jill voices can be annoying. Try downloading the Australian female voice from Garmin website. It's much easier on the ear and easy to understand.
Norm F

Norm F

RedG
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a Dezl 760LMT. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I have a Kenwood radio in my auto which uses Garmin nav, so I'm very familiar with operating a Garmin and it will be very easy for me to use the 760 with no learning process.
Personally, I prefer Jack over Jill because his voice is much easier to understand while navigating. Also, I hate taking directions from a female...... 😉
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the Nuvi 465LMT since February 2012 in both the RV and the Auto. I enjoy the map updates and traffic. The 465 has worked well for me.

I previously used the Nuvi 680 since 2006, which worked fine except the cost of map updates. Never updated the maps, worked ok, but getting old, like someone else I know.

Recently compared the Desl 560LMT and the Desl 760LMT. Decided on the Desl 560. First use has been with the auto for familiarization. Next week it will get it's first use in the MH.

I like the features on the 560. The split screen sign feature is nice, along with other warning notices. Just planned a 1k mile trip using streets & trips as a guide of the routes I was interested in taking, with many stops between start and finish without any issues.

Paired Bluetooth without any issues, and the 560 has a voice dialing option, which worked the first time.

Garmin needs to send ole Jill to English language classes. Voice commands are better than the 680, and some improvement over even the 465. The volume and brightness adjustments are more than adequate. The speaker sound is a lot better.

See how it goes in the long haul. Been using Garmin for years in boats, autos, and RV's. Another nice function on the 560 is traffic avoidance options, which can be rerouted using miles or a different route. The 465 has the auto traffic avoidance which rerouted us on one occasion around an interstate traffic tie up on a different route which worked great. Now with the 560, I can choose how far and/or the route to avoid the traffic.

MH toys sure are fun. Gps takes stress free traveling to a new level. Trust with Verification is the only caveat!
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

Dave_n_Alice
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Garmin truck GPS. Remember truck GPS are built to ensure trucks (not motorhomes etc.) can navigate turns easily and safely and to not use streets/roads that would not be appropriate for OTR trucks. Therefore, they will not always use the most obvious or direct route. Add the Low Clearance POI database and you will not usually find yourself in a bad situation. However, GPS units like all computers are only as good as the software operating the unit and the map database. Keeping your database current is also critical. We have a second Garmin non truck GPS in our toad.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
BBQ....
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
You can add Low Clearance Alert Warnings to any Garmin Nuvi, with over 3600 warning locations across the U.S.

You can also add this to my favorite Laptop based GPS, Streets & Trips. And DeLorme, along with TomTom, Google, and Navman.

And all low clearance underpasses/bridges are well marked with big warning signs, which usually still give you some wiggle room. There are not many around anymore unless you are in the inner city or way out on side roads. I learned a long time ago to read highway warning signs!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
rware wrote:
If you have a smartphone or better yet a tablet look at the app Co-pilot live usa. It has a RV setting.

Do you need internet service to use something like this? What if you are traveling the backroads with no cell coverage?

Howdy!

You do not need data connection (internet service) to use CoPilot app. You download the app and maps to your device. I've used Co-Pilot for the last two years of fulltimimg and my Samsung android tablet connects with WiFi an I never connect while traveling. As mentioned I like the large screen on my tablet for GPS. When in the car or on the scooter I use my smartphone (Samsung Note II).

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
ALWAYS second guess your GPS route! Visually look at the route it's taking you and see if it makes sense. I've been bitten more than once.

I haven't seen a newer GPS I like. They make them for clueless idiots and don't allow for changes from their limited and standard screen views. OK, rant off. 🙂

I like seeing an overhead map route with a large window for interstates, medium window for local roads and when I get near a turn or destination I'll zoom in so I don't overshoot. I also do many "what if's" looking for bypasses, shortcuts through towns, etc.

I'm old school still using a Garmin Street Pilot III Color AND I LIKE IT! It's fallen off the dash of many vehicles (bean bag mount) and still keeps on tickin'. I can see when sunrise / sunset is, current elevation, find waypoints by GPS coordinates, re-route, set via points for multiple stops . . . . OTOH the screen is small by today's standards, it updates slowly and the maps/restaurants/gas stations are grossly out of date. That's where the cell phone comes in. 😉

I'm not saying my old school GPS is the best (far from it). I just haven't found a new one I'm willing to plonk down big bucks for that I would be happy with. If the SPIII dies I just might find another on ebay, but this discussion gives me hope I can upgrade.

Best,
- bob

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you can be sure of; the GPS will send you in to the center of most towns if you travel the 2 lanes. We had a NUVI 765T and even when set to truck mode it would send us places we should not have been. The best example was when we were looking at real estate around Branson. We were in the toad thankfully with the GPS still set in truck mode and wanted to how far away we were and how long it would take to get to the hospital from a potential purchase. Our wonderful Garmin sent us past every theater in downtown Branson and it took us 45 minutes. Before leaving the hospital I went to a high spot in the parking lot and saw a couple of known landmarks. It took us 10 minutes to get back to the piece of real estate we were looking at. This is only one of many examples I could give you. Use a map. They are more accurate. We now use our GPS only to find specific addresses in towns we do not know.
And to those of you that will say I need to switch the parameters. It does not matter that much and the choices are extremely limited. The only restrictions that seemed to have any effect were; no dirt roads and no u-turns.
Randy
p.s.
I just remembered another glaring example of a GPS's programming. We were in Mitchell, SD with my MIL, she was 90 at the time, and needed to get her to the emergency room. Our GPS sent us around the outskirts of town and then brought us back in to the hospital. Travel time was just over 15 minutes. When we were finished I used street signs for navigation and we were 6 blocks from where she tripped not the 40 or so that the Garmin decided was the best route.

rware
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a smartphone or better yet a tablet look at the app Co-pilot live usa. It has a RV setting.

Do you need internet service to use something like this? What if you are traveling the backroads with no cell coverage?
Martin