cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best leveling pads under jacks of 18k lb. class A?

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
What's your best suggestion for leveling pads under the jacks of my 18,000 lb class A? I'm basically looking for something to place under the leveling jacks when parked on uneven camp sites that can safely handle the weight of the MH.

Thanks!
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
14 REPLIES 14

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
ezgoin wrote:
What's your best suggestion for leveling pads under the jacks of my 18,000 lb class A? I'm basically looking for something to place under the leveling jacks when parked on uneven camp sites that can safely handle the weight of the MH.

Thanks!

I use 3/4" plywood in 15"x15" squares under the jacks of our class A which weighs in at just over 19,000-lbs.

Mine at a GVW of 18k will bend 3/4" ply on really soft ground but next time I just turn 'em over. been using the same ones for years, no need for anything heavier.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood, glued and screwed together. Easy and cheap enough for me.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used 1 in thick nylon that I got as scrap( partitions between men's room stalls). I cut these 12x12 ins. I made them for soft ground for a bigger foot print for the feet of my jacks. Having said that I only used them a half dozen times in 10 years and 80k miles of camping.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had some fascia board left over from a Correct Deck composite decking project. I cut them into 12X12 squares and screwed 3 of them together. I drilled a couple of holes in one edge for a lanyard.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
I use heavy duty plastic pads. Have used them for about five years now. Don't bend or break, I prefer over wood. Not cheap but the do the job.

http://www.outriggerpads.com/images/rv_pads.html

ridin_with_the_
Explorer
Explorer
Treated 2x12 and 3/4" exterior plywood. Cut each into 12x12 squares. Then made a 2x12 and plywood sandwich. plywood--2x12--2x12--plywood. I have four of those and two with an extra 2x12. They are heavy and require a bit of room however, they are hell for strong.
2005 Alfa See-Ya M40FD #3507
The Ranga co-piloting
Zoie and Mazi the Shih Tzus
Jordan the Pyradore
Story Bird a Green Cheek Conure

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have the yellow Outdoors for Life pad and I really like them. They have a carrying bag and handles. They are easy to store and easy to place under the jacks. I prefer them to wood although they cost more. I do not have to worry about wet wood when I go to leave and they are easier for me to use.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimM68 wrote:
I used a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood, cut into 16" squares (no waste) and tripled them and screwed em together.
The DP (33,000 pounds on 3 jacks) tacos them a little, the gasser (26k on 4 jacks) didn't even dent them.

Drill holes in the corners so you can use an awning stick to move em

I did almost the same thing. If you cut a sheet of plywood into 16" squares, it gives you 18 pcs. I made two pads 4 layers thick and the other two pads 5 layers thick. Use a waterproof glue like Gorilla glue or Titebond III. Then some 3" stainless screws in them.

Instead of drilling holes in them for the awning hook, I put a large stainless steel eye hook on the side of each one. Then buy a broom handle and screw a cup hook into the end of it. With this you can push the pads under the jacks without having to reach under the MH and it makes quick work of pulling them out when your' ready to leave. Then you can also use the broom handle for your squeegee to clean the windows........

Have been using mine for three years and they're doing fine. My DP is about 24,000#.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 2X8 lumber sandwiched between 5/8 ply. Use them when I'm either on grass or asphalt so I don't sink in. The wood was all scrap leftover from a bathroom remodel project so my cost was more or less nothing.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Check out some lumber yards. Short lengths of glue laminated beams make great support pads.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what they cost but I used heavy duty plastic pads that truckers use under their trailer landing gear when they drop the trailer on pavement.
A friend gave them to me. Easy to store and lighter than wood.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:

Thanks!

I use 3/4" plywood in 15"x15" squares under the jacks of our class A which weighs in at just over 19,000-lbs.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I used a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood, cut into 16" squares (no waste) and tripled them and screwed em together.
The DP (33,000 pounds on 3 jacks) tacos them a little, the gasser (26k on 4 jacks) didn't even dent them.

Drill holes in the corners so you can use an awning stick to move em
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wood