cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Rear View Camera

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
I need to install a back up camera and was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good one that wasn't too pricey. I would prefer wireless as to make installation easier. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
This is the back up camera I installed in my rig. I considered wireless but my roof is aluminum and it states that aluminum can cause interference. I wanted a clear pic at all times and didn't want to chance any environmental interferences. It works fantastic! Pic is clear and I can see the 17' boat bow to stern and both sides clearly while on the road....exactly what I wanted. I can even see cars as they pull along side my boat.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Voyager.

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses!

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with using Rear View Safety, either wired or wireless....depending on how much interference you get.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of acquiring and installing a backup camera. I have no experience with them yet, but I was warned by my 30 something Son-in-law, that I should forget the wireless and go wired. He has extensive personal experience in using/installing them and he said, the little extra effort required to go wired is paid back tenfold in picture quality.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

pastorbillv
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Class C came with a camera, but my cabover cost me the camera in my truck's tailgate. I asked here for a recommendation (in the camper forum) and was given this site:

https://camera-source.com/

They have all kinds of camera setups and were excellent to work with!

Good luck!
Bill
2004 Bigfoot 29G (Love the garage!)
2017 Northern-Lite 10'2" SE on F-350 (CC, Dually, 4WD, Boss)

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with samven1 about a wired unit being not much harder to install than a wireless, plus you won't have interference issues. I installed a Rear View Safety wired camera and monitor from Costco that I like. The price isn't bad and it works well, and it works at night as well. I wired it into an ignition on fuse so it turns on when the key is on and is as useful as a rear view mirror when driving. Mounting it high is also good advice.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a clear view to a rear window from the front, I'd suggest getting one of those stick-on window lenses, the largest one you can find (and see from the driver's seat). They provide a pretty decent portion of the utility of a rear view camera and are quite inexpensive and highly reliable (and wireless). At night they're not as useful since you can't get a good idea of the lane markings etc. in the lens, making it hard to figure out where things are in relation to you, but during the day they're handy, even if one has a camera.

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Taddi Brothers has decent cameras.

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
samven1 wrote:
I dont have a good recommendation for you because I went with the Garmin 760 w/backup camera. I really like having both things with one screen but I did learn something doing the wireless camera installation. I dont think it would have been any more difficult to install a wired camera and maybe a bit easier. With the wireless camera you have a box with the transmitter that needs to go in a protected area or you have a much bigger camera box with the transmitter built in. Either way you have to get power to the camera and it has to be switched. So you either hook it to your backup lights and it only works when you are in reverse or you hook it to your running lights and you can turn them on when you want the camera to activate. Depending on where you want to mount the camera either of these could be easy or difficult. Mount high and backup lights become a problem but running lights are easier, mount over license plate and backup lights might be easier but view is not as good. With a wired unit you can run the wiring under the coach to the engine compartment and into the coach with a switch on the dash to turn it on and off at will or a lighter plug to power it.
Ahhh, good point about the wiring to the camera. I didn't think about that. Hmm, ok well maybe the wired camera will be better then. I need to run wires up to the front for the trailer brake controller anyway, so I'll just do them at the same time. Thanks for the tip!

Ok, can anyone recommend a good wired camera? :B

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have a good recommendation for you because I went with the Garmin 760 w/backup camera. I really like having both things with one screen but I did learn something doing the wireless camera installation. I dont think it would have been any more difficult to install a wired camera and maybe a bit easier. With the wireless camera you have a box with the transmitter that needs to go in a protected area or you have a much bigger camera box with the transmitter built in. Either way you have to get power to the camera and it has to be switched. So you either hook it to your backup lights and it only works when you are in reverse or you hook it to your running lights and you can turn them on when you want the camera to activate. Depending on where you want to mount the camera either of these could be easy or difficult. Mount high and backup lights become a problem but running lights are easier, mount over license plate and backup lights might be easier but view is not as good. With a wired unit you can run the wiring under the coach to the engine compartment and into the coach with a switch on the dash to turn it on and off at will or a lighter plug to power it.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy