cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route to Boulder Co. from Tacoma Wa.

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advise on traveling to Boulder Co. from Tacoma Wa. the first week of December in a 40'diesel pusher flat towing toad. Chaining is not an option. Any suggestions on route to travel will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You everybody your responses are greatly appreciated. I will let you know how this trip unfolds. "SUNSHINE"

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
just checked out this Autosock - looks like a Colorado test film. They are legal alternatives in Colorado anyway, and maybe easier to install and carry.

about $226 a pair for MH, but they have to come off when out of snow.

autosock
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I always think I can avoid it - this was a beautiful September day outside of Durango. Fortunately I was in an SUV, but I felt bad for that guy in front of me. No escape that day.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
I might consider using cables. I see the cables have to be 0.415" diameter or greater to be allowed, and 2 drive tires on the MH with cables (or chains, autosocks, or autochains or sanders).

I wonder why you never see autochains on a MH like you do a school bus.

Expense ... most people will never drive in snow to need them. Heck I will never drive in snow to need them ! The chains in my storage bay will never be on the tires of my coach ... they are there just to meet the requirement in case I want to travel home ( Oregon) in the winter and then only if the road is dry and clear. My tractor was steel around the tires and if a chain broke no severe damage .. not so on the Motorhome. . I got no place I have to be that bad 🙂
Bill

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I might consider using cables. I see the cables have to be 0.415" diameter or greater to be allowed, and 2 drive tires on the MH with cables (or chains, autosocks, or autochains or sanders).

I wonder why you never see autochains on a MH like you do a school bus.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
There are 450 Les Schwab tire stores, mostly in the West. Including Colorado. What many people do is buy a set of cable chains from LS, than if they aren't used over the winter, they return them for a full refund at any of the LS locations.

For the larger sizes of chains, you might have to have LS order them in to your local store.

Even if they're never used, peace of mind is worth something. I did a quick google search and 22.5" cable chains are $80 odd bucks.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I would like to see even 1 inspector on any road we are discussing when there is no snow on the ground, no snow predicted and it's 35+ degrees outside. I went across one of the highest passes in the US outside of Denver having out run a snow storm approaching from the East. I left Glenwood Springs, CO in a blizzard which had just hit. I figured I could travel faster than the storm and sure enough, by the time I got to Vail there was not a flake on the ground and I made a nice easy (but slow) passage without a single chain anywhere to be found on any vehicle. Oh yeah, you don't use chains on dry asphalt!

I can't speak for the PNW, but in Colorado, only commercial vehicles are required to have chains.

Colorado modified the laws a bit last year,

Traction Law enacted (Code 15) - all passenger vehicles must have snow tires, M+S tires, or 4X4 and tires must meet minimum tread depth. All season tires do not meet the requirements and are only allowed if 4x4 or all wheel drive. (this one they are really pounding down on for I-70 because of the accidents)

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16) - CDOT can implement Code 16 which requires every vehicle on the roadway to be chained or have alternative traction devices (like autosock).

Fines Driving without required equipment during Code 15 or 16 = fines over $130. Blocking traffic because of inadequate equipment for Code 15 or 16 = $650 fine.

I haven't done chains on this rig, not sure they would even fit under there, nor am I sure which drive tires are required (2 or 4)

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oregon chain laws
Also note it says over 10,000lb not just commercial .
Signs are up continuously nov1-mar31 or if weather requires at other times
From the actual law
Requirement to Carry Chains or Traction Tires

When chains or traction tires are required to be carried and the appropriate signs are posted, chains or traction tires of sufficient size and number to comply with division 17 rules must be in or on the vehicle.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 184.616, 184.619 & 815.045
Stats. Implemented: ORS 815.045 & 815.140
Hist.: TO 8-1998, f. & cert. ef. 9-14-98; HWD 7-2005, f. & cert. ef. 9-16-05

734-017-0015
Bill

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
There has to be a season for these laws, right? I mean, if I drive over such and such interstate pass on July 15th, am I expected to carry chains?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
I carry chains for all rigs in snow country as the LAW is the LAW like it or not. It's not optional it is the law. I would watch the weather and do the route with that in mind. 84 80 25 would be my route of choice but again weather in winter.

LEN

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The worst driving conditions I ever experienced in my life were On I-84 in eastern Oregon. Just crazy ice everywhere. The entire gorge from just a bit east of Portland all the way to Idaho can be terrible that time of year. So, if you choose that way watch the weather forecast closely and be prepared to sit and wait.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I would like to see even 1 inspector on any road we are discussing when there is no snow on the ground, no snow predicted and it's 35+ degrees outside. I went across one of the highest passes in the US outside of Denver having out run a snow storm approaching from the East. I left Glenwood Springs, CO in a blizzard which had just hit. I figured I could travel faster than the storm and sure enough, by the time I got to Vail there was not a flake on the ground and I made a nice easy (but slow) passage without a single chain anywhere to be found on any vehicle. Oh yeah, you don't use chains on dry asphalt!

I can't speak for the PNW, but in Colorado, only commercial vehicles are required to have chains.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few cases where you might be stopped. It's not likely. I drove it Portland to Denver and back for years 2xaweek commercially and have seen Motorhomes checked in "good weather". I give no idea why they where stopped . My co driver was a ex Oregon state cop. . Oregon blue mountain pass is one of those places. The fine is 300.00 .. + it's been a few years. Big yellow signs say chains must be carried over 10,000 lbs or towing. It says nothing about if the weather is bad . It is the rule and anyone is we agree able to do what they want .
I choose to buy a set of chains ( 90 bucks ) they are in a bag in the bottom of a storage bay. I've hung enough "iron" in my day and will never touch them again ,nor will I find myself paying out a fine for being caught in a bad situation like being pulled over for a turn signal out and asked to see my chains . Everyone must do what they feel is right for them.
Bill

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?