cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to sell an RV?

vergro
Explorer
Explorer
My mother recently passed and had a 2001 Chinook, and now we are looking for the best way of selling it. I live in the Portland area, and am not really sure where to even start with something like this, any advice?

:?
12 REPLIES 12

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
KFS wrote:
....make it visible to passers by and have it CLEAN. I don't mean just "sort of" clean but really, really clean.

For listing on CL lots of photos. I'm a serious buyer and I'm not "calling for photos" or emailing for photos" If you can't show photos in your ad I assume you are not a serious seller. Have clear photos and lots of them. Remove all personal items. I don't want to see your "Best Grandma" throw covering the sofa and needlepoint pillows burying the bed. I want to see it as the manufacturer would have featured it. Please do not have children/pets in your photo. I'm not buying your grandson and your schnauzer. I want to see the rig.
Well Stated.

Include a picture of all documentation, keys, etc, and if you have a clear title in-hand, include a blurred picture of that too.

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased ours right out of someone's front yard so make it visible to passers by and have it CLEAN. I don't mean just "sort of" clean but really, really clean.

If you can park it somewhere that is on the route to a major camping destination - do that. Particularly right around Holiday weekends. Often the trip home is where a person is saying "I'm so over this tent/camper/unit I have" and maybe they see yours and sold!

For listing on CL lots of photos. I'm a serious buyer and I'm not "calling for photos" or emailing for photos" If you can't show photos in your ad I assume you are not a serious seller. Have clear photos and lots of them. Remove all personal items. I don't want to see your "Best Grandma" throw covering the sofa and needlepoint pillows burying the bed. I want to see it as the manufacturer would have featured it. Please do not have children/pets in your photo. I'm not buying your grandson and your schnauzer. I want to see the rig.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I had good luck with rvtraderonline. Craigslist is free and allows pictures.

I would hold myself to a high standard on the quality of the pictures. Many rv pics are not flattering (specifically dark, out of focus, or poor composition), including ones posted on dealer ads. Zoom to wide angle for interior shots, use a camera which responds well to low light, and verify the picture is sharp, well exposed, and attractive. If not beg, borrow a camera which will take the kind of pics which are flattering to the rv. Make the picture as large as the venue allows within reason. Make sure the RV is shiny on the outside and clean on inside with shades open for viewing.

Lowball and middlemen come with the territory. A good presentation should help you get decent offer from private party buyer.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Craig's list is a great start. It's Free. Cancel the old add and replace it every week. Rotate the pictures.

Be very sure of the year make and model and any optionals or additions.
Have the coach ready to drive and get GOOD pictures.
If it has not been run in a year or more, get it registered and insured and take it out on the road. Yard queens go for much less than running - working ones.
Take lots of pictures. Get on one of the free photo sites and put all the pictures there.
CL allows 4 pictures. Use 2 outside and 2 inside for starters.
On you CL page, be verbose and include a link to the pictures.

On the side, collect the tire dates and be ready to knock off for tires over 7 years old if you are asked. If you are not asked, then the buyer is not serious or is very uniformed.

Some people are looking for a very specific RV. The more you include the better are the chances of one of the CL searches finding yours.

Do not be discouraged by low balls. If the offer has not seen it, tell him to come and look and make the offer after has has seen it.

This won't be easy, you will have to work some for your mom's money, but in the end it will be worth it.

Matt - who had to sell his dad's last boat.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
i sold my r.v in about a week using craigs list.
i had the same unit on flea-bay for a monthโ€ฆbefore trying craigs list..

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Craigslist is good, but you may get a few low ballers. I knew a guy who didn't like the new TT he bought after he took it out one time. It was worth $12k, and people came around offering $5k. LOL But then somebody came around and he sold it for little loss.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how relevant it is, since PPL is quite a distance from the OP, but were I needing to unload my rig, I'd haul it to a PPL location, pay the 500 bones to have it detailed, set price to factor their 10% cut, then let them do the rest.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

Chinooks are pretty desirable, so don't give it away at normal RV prices.

Start at NADA to find out how much it may be worth first then use the other suggestions on selling it.

Click here for NADA Pricing
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Craigslist or EBay or a consignment dealer in the Portland area.
and put a sign in the window and take it for a drive once a week or so. take it to walmart and target and home depot for a shopping excursion.
but first of all, check to see what a good asking price is for your rig. look at ebay and used mh dealers and online dealers, etc.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
X3 Craigslist

Or a consignment dealer if you don't want the hassle. They will take 25 to 40% of the sales price. Be sure to get their marketing plan in writing for the RV. Some just put it on their lot, others are very aggressive in trying to sell it.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Put it on craigslist for more than you think it's worth and lower the price every week until it sells. Here's an '04 listing in Portland LINKY
Chinooks are pretty desirable, so don't give it away at normal RV prices.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Craigslist or Ebay