cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank flush stopped working

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the blank tank flush about every other dump partly to put 5+ gallons water in the tank so it sloshes around when driving. Couple days ago it would not put any water in the tank so I put 100 psi of air on the hose and still nothing.:(

Fortunately my grey and black tanks are on the same level and unfortunately the same size (what were they thinking) but this lets me transfer grey water to the black when the grey gets full. By leaving the cap on and opening both valves until I can no longer hear water moving I can shift 20+ gallons of grey to the black.
So, yesterday after dumping only the black I put the cap on and opened both valves putting 20 gallons of grey in the black. Drove 100+ miles on curvy back roads and when I hooked up at the next CG... SUCCESS, the black flush works again.:B

Maybe this will work for you if you have this problem.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...
17 REPLIES 17

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think my black tank has ever been full enough to contact the tank flush unit. That's one way of avoiding clogged holes.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
The plugging up of the flusher is a Monaco issue. It's caused, as noted above, by black tank debris getting into the sprayer head and then drying up. You don't need to remove the sprayer. Just remove the hose, use an 1/8" drill and drill down into the sprayer several times. The sprayer function is of little value. What you want is a large amount of water going thru the flusher at the end of the tank, which will rinse the debris down toward the drain.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

DavidPisani
Explorer
Explorer
I used the plumbing snake and it also worked out. A plumber's auger, also called a snake, can be a handy piece of equipment when it comes time to unclog any drain, even a sewer line. Problems with faucets and sinks can be extremely annoying. The drain requires a little extra care because it may need more than a liquid to pour down there. You could be dealing with a major clog that requires a snake tool that will pull it all out. There are plenty of products available on the market that claim they can clear a bathroom drain, but too often those claims aren't backed up by the actual product. A professional plumber sewer line replacement Gloucester county NJ can attack that bathtub drain with a snake and clear a clog all the way to the source.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
This is pretty normal. On my purchased new 2008 HR the black tank flusher would not flow any water. Monaco in Coburg pulled it out under warranty and enlarged the holes. It took next to nothing to plug the washer head. The delivery driver who drove our coach to the dealership must have used the toilet and the excrement and paper had clogged the head. Once it dries on the head it turns to concrete.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nasty stuff??? My valves are very close together and the cap I use has a 3/4" hose connection that I put a hose valve on. When I get to where I can dump I hold the sewer hose under the valve and drain the two quarts of stuff into the sewer hose and then take the cap off and hook the sewer hose up... No mess.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Mine got plugged also and I ran an electrical snake through it to clear it out. An electrical snake is smaller than a plumbing snake which is used to clean out drains.

How do you get the wire thru the 'anti-siphon vacuum breaker device' ??

As for Pressure..........PEX Tubing
Long-term Pressure Ratings:
*160 psi @ 73.4°F
*100 psi @ 180°F
*80 psi @ 200°F

I just ran the wire in through the connection where the exterior hose connects. Don't know what is in there but the wire cleared the obstruction the only time I have had to do it.

Couldn't have pushed wire too far.......
RV MFGs. are required to install an Anti-siphon vacuum breaker.
They usually are inside bathroom sink cabinet..seen them in closets too.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
...........Fortunately my grey and black tanks are on the same level ........ this lets me transfer grey water to the black when the grey gets full. By leaving the cap on and opening both valves until I can no longer hear water moving I can shift 20+ gallons of grey to the black. ........

Don't you get some nasty water coming out when you take the cap off to hook up the hose?

I do the same thing but with the hose attached. I just lift the hose above the level of the tank. I wish I had room for a third valve.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Should have Anti-siphon valve and a backflow preventer in the line. After 16 years, something went wrong with my backflow preventer where it would require 60 PSI to open the valve in the correct direction. So some campgrounds would no have sufficient pressure to use the tank flusher. Replaced the backflow preventer and all is well now.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Mine got plugged also and I ran an electrical snake through it to clear it out. An electrical snake is smaller than a plumbing snake which is used to clean out drains.

*160 psi @ 73.4°F
*100 psi @ 180°F
*80 psi @ 200°F

I just ran the wire in through the connection where the exterior hose connects. Don't know what is in there but the wire cleared the obstruction the only time I have had to do it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:

*160 psi @ 73.4°F
*100 psi @ 180°F
*80 psi @ 200°F
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Between the crimped water line and no silicone seal to reseal after removing the wand while on the road I decided the sloshing water might work. This is the first time in 12 years that it has not worked. Drilling larger holes will be put on the need to do list. Hopefully I can unscrew the water line from the wand after removing the three screws which are easy to get to.
The flush has it own separate water line.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
The holes in the flush head are way too small and will eventually clog. You need to remove the flusher from the tank and enlarge the holes to 3/32 or slightly larger.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of that!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
Careful there with that air pressure. 100 psi on water lines can cause burst pipes. The plumbing in my TT is rated only 80 psi. Yours is evidently stronger, but still . . . .

He is not putting any pressure on the RV's water lines, I am pretty sure. There should be a dedicated line that runs to the black tank flush.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?