cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blowouts on front passenger side tire

Texan_wannabe
Explorer
Explorer
We have just had our second blowout on the front passenger side tire on our Class A Beaver Marquis 2005. In weighing the coach, we are pretty heavy for the weight of the tires the manufacturer put on, 295's, which we have now replaced twice. We are 42'11" long and have a tag axle. It appears in talking to the owner of this premier service facility in Florida that we might be safer with 315's which can bear more weight. A service writer has recommended Tyron bands for increased safety as they can apparently get you up to 20 miles as a running flat after a blowout.

This has me very concerned about our safety as we were lucky to be able to pull off without injury to ourselves, but it is the second time it happened, and with cars whizzing by on the left, we were worried we would be hit. good Sam Platinum Roadside Service told us they cannot send a tech under those conditions as it is not safe, and it was a nightmare while the police got us a tow truck that cost us over $1000 our of pocket and took a long time. Seriously were worried we would be run into despite our breakdown markers as people ran over them!

I am hearing that this can be a common issue even when tires are under five years old, as ours were. And we do have a tire monitor that gave us no warning in either blowout.

We are now a little afraid of our motorhome's safety, and have a lot of damage to hydraulics, slide, aqua hot and so on. Anyone else have this issue?
42 REPLIES 42

Texan_wannabe
Explorer
Explorer
Will update everyone on the reimbursement issue as it unfolds. We also had an out of pocket of over $500 that may be considered for reimbursement through Good Sam "jackrabbit" subcontractor as we needed help to get the slide back in before we could travel at all. They paid a little over $100 for the guy coming out but apparently wouldn't pay him the mileage to get to us and told him to charge labor costs for that time which I think ran to two hours. Are going to try to get that covered too. We'll see.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Do "H" rated tires have the strongest sidewall are is there a higher rated tire! Are your 315's H rated or higher? Sorry about having to shell 1K, but glad to hear everyone is safe.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep us posted on the Good Sam issue. I'd like to see if they reimburse you.

Texan_wannabe
Explorer
Explorer
I should also add that yes, our tire shredded and the tread was thrown completely off. We have had our tag pressure adjusted several times at service centers and been to the excellent Jo SAMs too. Also have weighed etc. on truck stop scales. With all that said, the front end is still heavy, and there is some doubt here at the service center that the 315s will fit but we will try. I am just surprised that Beaver put those tires on when they certainly were pushing the weight limit.

The sad thing is that I love our coach, but if the 315s can't fit for some reason. we will really need to trade as we were lucky to escape injury with two blowouts.

Texan_wannabe
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so we have found out that although Beaver put 295's on the front tires, the weight on the front is over 16,000 lbs. we started with 125 lbs. in each as we began driving that day, and it was probably in the 90's temperature wise that day. The manager of the service center, who has been in the business many years, rendered his opinion that we really needed 315's to accommodate the weight, though again, the manufacturer built it this way and we never travel with a full tank of water. The tires were on for four years but had been manufactured in 2008 so we were pushing up against the five year mark. And yes, they were Goodyears and we now have run into other Monaco product owners who had a similar experience with Goodyears and a blowout.

Good sam roadside service (Platinum) initially asked us if we were in a safe place and I said no, not really-we were in the path of an exit ramp with two lanes of traffic whizzing by at about 65 mph so they said could not send anyone to help as it would not be safe for them. I then said, well. we are broken down, how do I get help? They said call 911 and tell the police what happened and then if police say it is safe, we will come. ,we had them talk to police officer and he then arranged for a local tow service we knew of that we then had to pay out of pocket over $1000 for a three mile tow. Good Sam said we would have to submit a claim for reimbursement.

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Beaver Marquis are one of the heaviest coaches ever made. I remember checking their CCC specs when we were looking at coaches 3 1/2 years ago. Some of the Marquis had very little CCCs, and that may be your problem.

Our coach is similar to the Marquis. What Country Coach did was to use 315's with an L rating and heavier rims on the front that you can inflate to 130lbs. If you switch to 315's for your coach, which is likely what you need to do, you will need to get the heavier rims to handle the 130lbs pressure. Standard Alcoa rims only are rated for 120.

I have driven our coach 26,000 miles now and had no problems with tires besides the cost of buying new ones.

Once you get this fixed you have a beautiful motorhome. The Marquis is one of the very few coaches that the interior is nicer than ours.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
I used GS Platinum at the start of the vacation due to a tire that was on the point of shredding - I can't give them enough stars for the way they treated us.

Holiday Sunday and they had a tire guy out to us in less than 45 minutes (we were in a fairly large town). I paid for the tire, valve, balance and they picked up the call out charges. They had a little trouble finding someone with our size of tire but the rep called me back every 15 minutes to update me.
The first thing that he asked was whether we were in a safe location or did they need to send out a recovery vehicle.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Texan wannabe wrote:
We have just had our second blowout on the front passenger side tire on our Class A Beaver Marquis 2005. In weighing the coach, we are pretty heavy for the weight of the tires the manufacturer put on, 295's, which we have now replaced twice. We are 42'11" long and have a tag axle. It appears in talking to the owner of this premier service facility in Florida that we might be safer with 315's which can bear more weight. A service writer has recommended Tyron bands for increased safety as they can apparently get you up to 20 miles as a running flat after a blowout.

This has me very concerned about our safety as we were lucky to be able to pull off without injury to ourselves, but it is the second time it happened, and with cars whizzing by on the left, we were worried we would be hit. good Sam Platinum Roadside Service told us they cannot send a tech under those conditions as it is not safe, and it was a nightmare while the police got us a tow truck that cost us over $1000 our of pocket and took a long time. Seriously were worried we would be run into despite our breakdown markers as people ran over them!

I am hearing that this can be a common issue even when tires are under five years old, as ours were. And we do have a tire monitor that gave us no warning in either blowout.

We are now a little afraid of our motorhome's safety, and have a lot of damage to hydraulics, slide, aqua hot and so on. Anyone else have this issue?
Welcome to RV.Net! Get back to us and let us know what's going on! Glad to hear that no one was hurt! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes!

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
sdianel wrote:
We put on B F Goodrich ST230's Load Range H on our 2004 Country Coach Allure

:h

Surely you don't mean "ST's"- I think those those are trailer use only-?

No: the ST230 is a 22.5" commercial truck tire from BFG.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

danewguy
Explorer
Explorer
I myself recently had a blow out in my right front tire while doing 60 mph coming out of CT into NY. After I started to breath again and got myself to the side of the road I made the call to GS. I told them what occured and that I needed a tire. I have to say they got back to us fairly quickly but said it would be 2hrs plus before someone could get to us. When they sent me the contact info for company that was coming I saw that it was a suffolk county area code on Long Island and realized why it was going to take 2+ hrs. We called back GS and asked why they stated that because I needed a tire and they only deal with goodyear this company was the closest that would come out. Next was the real hit when they told me that it would be $640 for a 245 70r 19.5 tire and service. So GS will come out and change a tire if you have a spare for nothing but it cost 130 just to have them do the extra step of putting the tire on the rim. I told the guy coming from Suffolk to stay put till I got back to him. In the meantime I found a local tire guy that had a tire, I un hitched the toad and picked up the tire and had GS just send someone to do the change which they said they could definately get someone closer. The closer company was in Linden NJ..... it still cost 130 but the guy who came was great and we were on our way. If I had done it GS way it would have cost me a couple of hundred more then it did, it was worth it to just work it out myself. Don't get me wrong when I had my old Class C I used GS a few times and things worked out ok but this time it just didn't sit very well with me. Any body know of a good after market tire carier, I would really like a spare
2007 Georgie Boy Landau 33ft and 2019 Cougar 26RBS 30ft

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
teddyu wrote:
The OP dropped a couple of bombs with this thread. He gave us speculation about the cause of the blowout (manufacturer, age or loading) but nothing definitive. Then this thing with GS ERS service - without any additional information we should not condemn or condone the GS ERS service. Threads like these have no positive purpose other than igniting fires. JM2ยข...
And it was his first and only post so far on RV.net. We may never hear from him again if he can't find his way back!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Dixiechick wrote:
We had a total of 5 blowouts (Good year) before changing to Michelins. The tire dealer thought the tires might have been a size too small. We have had no problems with the Michelins so far. We also don't try to load the motorhome with too much stuff.
Each time we had a blowout CoachNet sent a wrecker/service rep and either changed the tire on the road (twice on the interstate) or towed us to the nearest dealer.

Five blowouts on a light coach? Your 32 foot Allegro probably weigh's less then half of what that Beaver Marquis weigh's, so my point is that the Marquis which is one of the heaviest coaches made because of the granite tops probably weighing around 45K lbs versus yours at probably 16K lbs. To have five blow outs in five years there had to be something wrong with the tires from the start, not because of the weight. You just got five defective tires.

While the Beaver Marquis most likely was over weight and if they were the original tires then they should have been changed out. They would have been eight years old already. No excuse for letting tires go that long.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

teddyu
Explorer
Explorer
The OP dropped a couple of bombs with this thread. He gave us speculation about the cause of the blowout (manufacturer, age or loading) but nothing definitive. Then this thing with GS ERS service - without any additional information we should not condemn or condone the GS ERS service. Threads like these have no positive purpose other than igniting fires. JM2ยข...
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?

Dixiechick
Explorer
Explorer
We had a total of 5 blowouts (Good year) before changing to Michelins. The tire dealer thought the tires might have been a size too small. We have had no problems with the Michelins so far. We also don't try to load the motorhome with too much stuff.
Each time we had a blowout CoachNet sent a wrecker/service rep and either changed the tire on the road (twice on the interstate) or towed us to the nearest dealer.
Cathy and Don, finally retired :B
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'