Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Ridge Parkway question

DKM_Fam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
My family and I are considering escaping for the week Dec 29th and heading from Sunny Florida up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know most folks come our way for the winter, but being native Floridians, we would like to head a little north to perhaps do a little cold weather camping or have a snow ball fight with the kids. My question is this, we have a 35’ Gorgie Boy Class A. I did a little searching on line and am finding many of the campgrounds along the parkway are closed for the season that time of year. Has anyone driven the parkway this time of year? Are their open campgrounds that we can find to accommodate our rig? Of course if there is bad weather we would follow common sense and stay off the Parkway. Just looking for some reassurance that this trip is doable at the end of December. Thanks in advance for the advice.
18 REPLIES 18

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at Mama Gerties in Ashville now. Locals tell me that several sections of the Parkway are closed now and there hasn't been much snow recently.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
DKM_Fam wrote:
Thank you all for the great advice. Our rig height is 12’5’’ so I think I should be OK their but will definitely be keeping an eye on it. Sounds like most of you are confirming my biggest fear. Snow and Ice and having to get down the mountain if it rolls in. Like stated before, I am a Florida Flatlander but have driven in adverse conditions and in mountains before. The goal of the trip was to take my family to the mountains and hopefully let the kids play in a little white stuff while not endangering any of us with having to drive in bad conditions. I know I ask a lot : ) I think we will just head that way and see how the weather looks. Thanks for the RV park recommendations. If it is bad weather on BRP, we may just park it at a nice campground and enjoy the scenery for a while.
r/
Dennis

Based on what you want to achieve, I would suggest you use the available interstate roads to get to Asheville, NC. Stay in one of the RV parks in/near Asheville and explore the parkway in your toad.

Another option would be to travel to the Roanoke, VA area and do the same. However, I lived in Roanoke for years and while it is a beautiful area, there are not many nice RV parks in or around Roanoke.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not plan to use the Blue Ridge Parkway as a through route in winter, as sections may close from time to time because of snow. Nearby alternate routes are not always available in the sections most often closed, thus backtracking might be needed to detour.

I've run the parkway and Skyline Drive in early spring and late summer. The sections I've used, it was a commitment to staying with the route and moving slowly.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DKM_Fam
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great advice. Our rig height is 12’5’’ so I think I should be OK their but will definitely be keeping an eye on it. Sounds like most of you are confirming my biggest fear. Snow and Ice and having to get down the mountain if it rolls in. Like stated before, I am a Florida Flatlander but have driven in adverse conditions and in mountains before. The goal of the trip was to take my family to the mountains and hopefully let the kids play in a little white stuff while not endangering any of us with having to drive in bad conditions. I know I ask a lot : ) I think we will just head that way and see how the weather looks. Thanks for the RV park recommendations. If it is bad weather on BRP, we may just park it at a nice campground and enjoy the scenery for a while.
r/
Dennis

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
GlennLever wrote:
Is height a problem?

Tunnel Heigths

Tunnel heights are measured at the outside "fog line" we traveled the entire length with a 13' 4" fiver without any trouble.

I would be more worried about the weather than anything else, they close the parkway when snow is in the air.

There are a few nice year round campgrounds in the Asheville area.

Did you look at the chart? It clearly says the MINIMUM heights at the edge of the road. I have no doubt that you made it through with a 13'+ fiver but I also think that you need to be aware of what could happen if an oncoming vehicle forces you to drive near the edge of the road.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
GlennLever wrote:
Is height a problem?

Tunnel Heigths

Tunnel heights are measured at the outside "fog line" we traveled the entire length with a 13' 4" fiver without any trouble.

I would be more worried about the weather than anything else, they close the parkway when snow is in the air.

There are a few nice year round campgrounds in the Asheville area.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
WE have driven the length of the BRP several time in our various coaches. The present coach and the previous one were 36 footers. The drive is slow, speed limit 35 to 45 and it can be hard to maintain that safely in a coach. It is twisty and can be steep, we love it! None of the "attractions" or parks along the BRP will be open nor will any of the lodges.

The real issue I see is getting off the parkway if it starts to snow. Many of the "roads" are forest service routes suitable for my Jeep. Many of the paved roads that come down off the parkway are very steep and twisty, especially if you are in the high mountain areas. Even getting off at Rockfish Gap, the northern end of BRP and the entry to Skyline drive the descent into the valleys is very steep on the main roads. Just something to be aware of, it can be done but you need to put away the Florida "flatlander" mentality. Some people think mountains in the east are tame, they are not! Especially when covered with snow and ice.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
weather is anyones guess - and forecasts on the BRP or Skyline Drive are almost non existent.....just because Waynesboro/Luray/Front Royal don't have a forecast of snow/ice doesnt mean that the Skyline "Drive" isn't getting pounded.

I highly recommend Andy Guest (aka Shenandoah River) State Park - a couple of miles south of Front Royal & the northern entrance to the Skyline Drive.

the accommodations at the park are great - 50A (you could need it if it gets cold) & Water (dump tank close to the camp slots) - nice large/private showers and washer/dryer facilities are close to the camp/slots too.

There are some (fairly new & fully equipped) FANTASTIC Cabins in the park and there are NEW ZIP LINES in the park (canoeing, hiking, biking & fishing are also options).
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
never mind place I was thinking about is open March thru November. Nice place though.
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you will enjoy the Blue Ridge more if you drive it with your dingy and not the MH.

You can drive the Natchez Trace with a motorhome easier than the Blue Ridge
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
As noted by Naturist, your issue may well be having sections of the Parkway closed due to snow. Generally, we don't get a lot of snow in our part of Virginia but if so, it will be at the higher elevations. IMO, the most scenic part of the BRP is in western NC and there are generally RV parks around Asheville and Boone open year round. In Virginia, there are several RV parks near the BRP in the Natural Bridge and Lexington area. Check rvparkreviews.com to get the scoop on those. At the BRP's most southern end near Cherokee, NC, there should be RV parks in Cherokee, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge open year round. Those areas are pretty much tourist traps on steroids but plenty to do near both the BRP and the entrance to the Smoky Mountains.

Wherever you travel, have fun and travel safely.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'm up closer to the north end of the Parkway, and I can tell you that entire sections of the Parkway close when there's snow on 'em. They do not plow, so if it snows, the gates get slammed shut.

For what it is worth, I believe the Lynchburg (VA) KOA at 6252 Elon Rd, 800-562-8717 is open all year. It is located 1 mile east of the Parkway on VA 130, and it is NOT "at the bottom of the mountain below the parkway." That stretch of the Parkway IS at the bottom of the hill.

This is about a half-hour south of Wintergreen Resort, a ski resort also about a mile off the Parkway, but the entrance is at the bottom of the mountain. Wintergreen also makes snow.

rvis2005
Explorer
Explorer
THIS was one of the neatest trips we've been on. Drove the Parkway in our 42 Monaco towing our pick up. We have such awesome pictures and great memories. There are various campgrounds along the way that will accommodate. I would call and reserve first. Also, I would plan to get to the campground early as it gets dark very fast.

Enjoy your trip! Tommy
Tommy and Kristi Watters
Coppell, TX

P3TC
Explorer
Explorer
Snow is not predictable up here then....try to get close to one of the ski resorts...like Beech Mountain near Boone, NC. They make snow all season.
:)1998 Monaco Diplomat