cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brake fluid?

Starrs
Explorer
Explorer
where is the master cyl at? I need to put brake fluid in and I dont know where? 1989 fleetwood southwind----sorry ---chevy
15 REPLIES 15

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Starrs wrote:
where is the master cyl at? I need to put brake fluid in and I dont know where? 1989 fleetwood southwind----sorry ---chevy

If a GM chassis its on the front frame...just inside of the drivers side front wheel.and CAN at times be a real BIT** to check and / or add fluid to
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
chances are you have very worn brakes or a leak somewhere in the system. When my class C did that the back brakes were toast and the master cylinder was leaking. Nothing 800 bucks does not cure. I also needed the drums replaced. They were cracked.

Paul

Starrs
Explorer
Explorer
truthfully we dont, the brake light came on for a few minutes then went off---so we were going to check the fluid level before checking the brakes, but just couldnt find where to even check the fluid ----the book said to check the master cyl. but didnt tell where it was--lol
the brakes were working fine--just the light came on---we got this camper in December and only drove it from NC to SC so far--not put much time with it because of work--going to have fun this summer though.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
How do you know you need brake fluid if you do not know where the master cylinder is to check it in the first place?

n3or
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1988 southwind. You have to turn the front wheels as far to the right as they will go, squeeze up inside of the left wheel and look up. a REAL PITA hope this helps

Starrs
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the help---my husband is looking now----you guys are very helpful. thanks again

jvander
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
On my Chev. P30 it was visible from the LF wheel well. It is probably time to do a complete flush of the brake fluid rather than just adding some. Moisture gets into the fluid and will cut your braking ability as well as create rust in the system.

x2 on all of this
An additional word of advice: when I did a complete flush on mine the front brake hoses swelled shut. Could've been the new fluid, I don't know. In any case, if your fluid is due for a change then your hoses probably are too.
1993 Coachmen Catalina 31'
For Sale! $10k, PM me for details

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
On my Chev. P30 it was visible from the LF wheel well. It is probably time to do a complete flush of the brake fluid rather than just adding some. Moisture gets into the fluid and will cut your braking ability as well as create rust in the system.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you need to add very much then your brakes are either worn or leaking.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was under the floor board under drivers seat. Little trap door that lifted up and master cyl was under it. Just mine, yours might be different. But don't remember if it was 89 or 87 but around that year.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
You stated that your MH is a 1989 Southwind, but what chassis is under the MH? Chevy or Ford?
Wildmanbaker

coolcity
Explorer
Explorer
the OP clearly says 1989 fleetwood southwind??
I will assume it has a hydroboost system and MC should be up front on the firewall.That would be my guesstimet

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If we had crystal balls we could tell what kind of MH chassis, year, and motor home that you have.
Welcome to the forumm and just add all that info to your signature and then we will know how to help.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
In what?

Make and model would be helpful
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.