cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a previous rental?

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm new here and have browsed around a bit before posting so hopefully this question hasn't already been answered but just curious if you would advise buying a Class A that was a previous rental? The dealer claims the benefit is that they have a service center on site so all their rentals have been regularly serviced. We considering either a 2012 Hurricane with 48K on it that was a previous rental OR a 2001 Southwind (not a rental) with 60K. I'm not sure if it's better to buy a newer rental with less miles on it or an older coach with more miles but less possible abuse?

A little background on us.. my husband and I are in our late 30s with a 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. We had an older Class A Southwind (I think it was an 82 or 85?) several years back and loved it minus how old it was. It was well taken care of and we bought from the original owner.. still it didn't have all the bells and whistles of newer motorhomes and a few glitchy things we learned to work around. This was pre-kids although we took along my teenager brother and our 3 dogs and loved being able to make lunch and use the bathroom en route. We sold it and now 7 years later were ready to get back into camping mode again so we can have some adventures with our kids. We were all set on getting a travel trailer but we keep finding ourselves drawn back to the Class A although we can't afford brand new. It just seems so dang convenient with all the kids and we want to be more of the "travel" long distances and hop around type versus set up and camp in one spot for a week. Another question I have is how is the ride on a newer Class A versus a Class C? We will be getting a gas (not diesel unless we run across some insane deal on a diesel). Our old Class A was gas powered, 27 feet and it felt like we were sort of floating along in a boat at times. Just curious if the newer Class As were similar and if there is less of that sway feeling in a Class C? I really would prefer an A but if the ride is better in a C than it might be something I'd consider.

Thanks so much!
16 REPLIES 16

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
've talked with some European renters who were not happy with the quality of their rental unit.

Same with Australian. it is only a bare bones Rental Unit, OK for the purpose nothing more

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.. it's fun to talk to others with the same passion!

Medico that Robin Williams movie is what got my daughter all excited about getting a motorhome ha ha! It is hilarious.

Raylance we are in northern California so pretty far from you. We are in the same situation where is there is no way we can afford a brand new or newer model. My husband is pretty handy thank goodness. He's not a mechanic but he did a lot of stuff on our old MH including replacing a refrigeration unit. We haven't been looking long but there are not many options for Class As in our area let alone one with a bunkhouse. Where are the bunks?

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you look on the Class C forum and the number of people with fairly new MHs that have leaks in the overhead bunk you may reconsider the Class C. We have had 2Cs and 2As. Both Cs leaked and caused problems in the overhead. Type As have not had a problem. I did think I had checked the roof on the Cs and still had the leaks. IMO all that weight sticking out that is unsupported is the reason for the leaks. Only a C with a full seamless sidewall & roof should be considered. (expensive models)
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

raylance
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a class A private sale that was originally a rental. Is it perfect? No way but the price reflected its condition. My best advise to you is analyze your mechanical ability. My wife and I are also in our 30's with a 4 and 2 yr old. We couldn't afford to do this if I had to pay to have the maintenance and repairs done. So far nothing came up I couldn't fix. I also second the bunk model. I have an 07 Coachmen Mirada 350DS and the kids having their own area is golden. They almost always go to bed before us which would make the living area unusable if we had to use it for a sleeping area.

I never owned a camper of any kind before but I can't imagine doing it in any other than a class A. My kids love it!

What state are you from? I would love to go camping with others that have kids the same age as mine. I live in Gilbertsville PA which is about 30 mins West of Philly. PM me if you don't want to say publicly.

Medico
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just make sure Robin Williams was not a previous renter! LOL

That movie was silly, and hilarious, but it does point out some of the things that renters try to do with their rentals. Renters just do NOT take the same care as owners.
GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in northern California. Most people here seem to buy travel trailers from what I can tell. Seems like they prefer to stay in one place longer.

Hjudge49
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about a rental from the lower 48, but after spending the last 5 weeks in Alaska and watching the way the rentals are abused up here, I would never consider buying one of them.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a thread about buying a rental unit.It has some good points but most are VERY happy with their choice, the ones that have bad things to say on the subject are not owners but just say things they have no first hand knowledge of. As seen in the previous posts.

I suggest you read it all and make up you own mind and if you have any questions just ask on that thread.

Also WELCOME TO THE FORUM

CLICK HERE
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm with Wally on this one....lots of regs are placed on rental units...sure, some are abused, but I've seen more privately owned ones that are abused too...just scan this site over time and you'll see what I mean....:B:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I am on the other side of the fence maybe. It it certified by the dealer in any way? Does it have any kind of warranty and I do not mean a service contract with a thousand exclusions? How does it drive? How tore up is it? New tires, new shocks?? All of these would influence my decision. Just understand folks can destroy their unit that they and the bank own just like a rental. When you buy used from a private seller and/or dealer you really have no way of knowing if it was ever in a rental pool. Some folks run their own private rental pool or fractional ownership set up. I do not consider 48K miles on a gas rig to many. We have had gas rigs with as much as 90,000 miles on them. So the right price and 5,000 miles a year could give you 10 years of service
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! Yeah I think were going to keep looking until we find a better deal. I would love bunks but have yet to see a used Class A that we can afford that has bunks. Still trying to decide how old is "too old" to buy. Is it better to have a newer model with more miles or an older model with less miles. This seems to be what we are up against in our price range.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
JMHO, but I would not even consider a rental...especially one with 48k on it. That's lots of miles for a MH.
2014 American Eagle

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
Someone posted a question a couple years ago:
What is the difference between an All Terrain Vehicle and a rental RV?
Answer: The rental RV can go anywhere.

Whatever you chose, I would recommend getting something with bunks.
Setting up and taking down the dinette and or couch every night gets old, real quick.
Keep asking questions and don't be in a hurry to buy.
Have fun with your search.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've talked with some European renters who were not happy with the quality of their rental unit.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE