cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bye Class B...off to Class C

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a Class C...Born Free...as I couldn't take the small size of my Roadtrek 170. I wanted to thank everyone for all their help and suggestions!
12 REPLIES 12

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Marsha, try the "Dinghy" forum. It's a whole forum dedicated to towing a toad.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Marsha,
I had a baseplate added to the Jeep Wrangler (5 speed stick) and purchased an adjustable tow bar from my 'C' dealer that slips into the slot for it on the 'C'. They added auxiliary brakes for the Wrangler because of its weight. They also added hookups for lights and brakes. I'm no mechanic, so all I know is how to hook up (easy). The guys at the dealership knew exactly what to do. All I did was write a check. ๐Ÿ™‚
Others on here may be able to explain better.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Best wishes with your Born Free C. We went from WInnebago Aspect t C to PW Plateau B. Born Free considered one of the best over here on the Island but it was reported they were a) now not in business and parts hard to find and then recently b) they ARE up and running(so to speak). I trust the latter is the new reality.
AL

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your good wishes! I will be checking in on the B Forum in case I can help someone. Marsha

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I switched from a Roadtrek B to a Fleetwood C with Jeep Toad. I'm a solo RVer, so I thought the B would be fine for me. But it turned out that I'm more of a traveler/visitor than a camper. A typical trip for me may include 3 or 4 stops of a week or more in the same place. The B with no toad meant hooking and unhooking utilities at least once a day. Not hard to do, but a PITA. I also quickly lost my love of everything doing double duty. Bed/Dinette, shower/kitchen, toilet/closet, and sometimes doing the conversions 2 or 3 times a day. Add too tall for a parking garage, and too long for a single metered space on the street.
The last straw was a recall on the drive train while under warranty. The RT's waste tank is mounted below the drive train, so it had to be removed for the repair. Dodge would pay for the repair but not for the tank removal since it was aftermarket. RT wouldn't pay for the tank removal because there was nothing wrong with the tank. So I had to pay a Dodge facility to remove and re-mount the tank. And it didn't get any better gas mileage than my current C. The purchase price was nearly as much as my current C as well.
Somebody else's experience may vary.

Jim...how difficult is it to get my C ready to tow?

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice! B to C then to DP
samsontdog:o:W

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your Born Free. We have the RT190P, but if we were ever to change..the BF would be our next purchase. Safe travels.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We'll miss you in B-land, but enjoy your new digs.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from a Roadtrek B to a Fleetwood C with Jeep Toad. I'm a solo RVer, so I thought the B would be fine for me. But it turned out that I'm more of a traveler/visitor than a camper. A typical trip for me may include 3 or 4 stops of a week or more in the same place. The B with no toad meant hooking and unhooking utilities at least once a day. Not hard to do, but a PITA. I also quickly lost my love of everything doing double duty. Bed/Dinette, shower/kitchen, toilet/closet, and sometimes doing the conversions 2 or 3 times a day. Add too tall for a parking garage, and too long for a single metered space on the street.
The last straw was a recall on the drive train while under warranty. The RT's waste tank is mounted below the drive train, so it had to be removed for the repair. Dodge would pay for the repair but not for the tank removal since it was aftermarket. RT wouldn't pay for the tank removal because there was nothing wrong with the tank. So I had to pay a Dodge facility to remove and re-mount the tank. And it didn't get any better gas mileage than my current C. The purchase price was nearly as much as my current C as well.
Somebody else's experience may vary.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
jjrai wrote:
Good luck. What did you buy and why?

I got a Born Free, 24'. The Roadtrek is a great van...especially for a first timer...but way too small for me.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Born Frees are nice, no worries about cabover water intrusion due to being made out of fiberglass. Plus, they have a Euro-esque design. The fact one can get a 4x4 model in a Ford pickup truck frame makes for something that can compete with the TC rigs (since it essentially is a permanent TC rig in itself) for getting to the remote areas.

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck. What did you buy and why?