cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping Overnight at Airport Parking Lot

PeteCo
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever used an airport parking lot to camp overnight, or for several nights while visiting a city? Any problems?

Seems like a great place for a large city since many cities don't have RV parks close-by. Also, public transportation is usually available to take you downtown to see the sights.

Pete
2006 Roadtrek 210P
Gspeed
25 REPLIES 25

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Sure....why not.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility is, near an urban area, outlying commuter rail stations have large parking lots. Put the $5 fee in the appropriate slot for your space and rest awhile.
Ray

HiknDoug
Explorer
Explorer
In my previous vehicle, a VW bus, I spent many a night in airport parking, paying around $8. I did not pop my top or do anything to bring attention to my situation.
Shall now try the same in the PleasureWay.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
At Greater Cincinnati Airport, they have a large parking lot, well away from the terminals, and shuttle busses that drive around picking up and dropping off passengers 24/7. Its also patrolled by airport police, has very bright lights, and is directly below the approach end of the main runway. There aren't any homes, grocery stores or restaurants within several miles, and its expensive because its the only game in town. Did I mention that it isn't even in Ohio? 15 miles from downtown Cincinnati.
The point being, that airport parking lots are designed for empty motor vehicles, not people. I certainly wouldn't plan a vacation around them or expect to get much sleep.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

spahn
Explorer
Explorer
About 3 years ago my husband and I stayed at Chicago's O'hare airport in the Long term parking area. It cost $13/day and we had public transportation into the city. We stayed 2 nights, just basically sleeping in our B rig and touring during the day. No one bothered us and we were too tired from walking all day to notice any noise at night.
Sue Spahn

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about camping versus sleeping...you'd have to avoid setting out your chairs and running the gen! People asleep in cars at airport lots might be more common than we think, if they return late and have a long drive ahead.

This is slightly off topic, but...While thinking about this idea, I googled Raleigh airport parking to see what current prices are. Turns out there is an online company that offers many cities where you can park at airport motels and use their shuttle for $3 a day, no motel stay required.

Each motel decides if they can handle oversize vehicles like vans, and some do at RDU. Might try that next time. Then if return flight is late, We could sleep in the van and drive home in the morning.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stayed at a small airport parking lot in Redding California.
Truck Camper - fit in a parking space.

Parking lot is locked at around 10 pm and opened around 6 am
Free.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've stayed overnight in airport parking lots, and have tried to get some sleep. However, I have not camped in one. Setting up a camp is likely to get attention you don't want.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

arm
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed at two airports (Houston & Calgary) but I stayed in the cell phone parking area. Parking was free and people coming and going, some waiting a few hours etc. Got asked about 3 am in Houston, and said they missed plane and would be about 4-5 hours late. No problem have a good rest.
2011 Roadtrek 190 Versatile
1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular
1990 Dodge 2500 conversion
1982 Dodge 1500 conversion

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
For $16 a night, one could stay in Greenbelt Park which is 2.5 miles to the closest metro station. They have water and a dump station along with bathrooms and piece and quiet.

I'm completely for stealth camping but, if I were doing it in DC, it would be downtown, Woodley Park, or Tenleytown, not out at DCA.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
PeteCo wrote:
I was thinking about Washington DC and Reagan Airport. I'm thinking a Home Depot or church parking lot might be harder to get away with in the DC area. I have also thought about the Metro parking lot, but some of those say no overnight parking.

Pete
2006 Roadtrek 210P

Few places to overnight in the DC suburbs. Washington National doesn't have any flights at night so it would be relatively quiet. But, it's been years since I scoped out the parking lots. Check their website and see if there is a phone number that you could call to ask. With the subway nearby, it would be a great spot. I suspect that even a B wouldn't fit easily in their lots.

The Fairfax County Park Authority has reasonably priced spaces in one of their parks outside the beltway.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
LAX longterm is $12 for 24 hrs but I think that is the max. You reach that max within a few hours. Flight noise was heavey at lot C until midnight but I put some earbuds in and played music. There used to be a lot B that was less noisy but that was closed.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing is that it is a usable option. It might not be the #1 choice, especially with plane noise, but it is something to consider, especially if one is looking to find someplace to rest and the area is pretty seedy. Generally a fence will separate you from the outside, and there are actual police (sworn peace officers) rather than security guards making the rounds.

WM is cheaper, of course, but finding camping is harder and harder to find. Two Wally Worlds near me (one in north Austin, one on I-35) turned red on the overnight app this year.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
If you can handle the noise, sure. I live near a small town which has a couple RV areas and almost no plane traffic.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman