cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping Weird er World...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Been thinking about down sizing from an 'A' to a smaller 'C'. Been looking at some at CW but would like you guys and gals to respond to this: They 'CW' have price placards in each unit with the price(s) marked. In all cases, they have a higher price marked out with a considerably lower price below marked 'sale'. One I've looked at has the marked out sale price of $85,299 and the sale price...$59,950. I suspect that the real MSRP is the lower one and that they are playing games trying to make customers believe they are getting a real 'sale deal'. Probably, some people would pay the lower price thinking they got a real deal. There are gullible people among us...and they vote! Now if the $59K price is the real price...how much lower do you think they will go? What should I offer?
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
25 REPLIES 25

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
If you have no personal experience then you really have no reason to be critical. I don't care if it is CW or any other dealer. Your information is hearsay and very low form of evidence. Thanks for letting us know your source so I don't need to take the criticism seriously.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
No need to guess about Campingworld's poor service, just click this link for the CampingWorld right across the street from where I'm staying in Mesa, Arizona. This is Mesa of course, you'd want to check for your area, but I'd bet you'll find the same 'Fair' to 'Poor' for CW's in your area too.

Out of eight reviews, 2 I'd consider an example of incompetence and dangerous for the RV'er. The overall evaluation is 'Fair'.

CW Mesa, AZ

If I needed service, I'd much rather go to Arizona RV Service, also in Mesa, with an overall rating of 'Excellent'.

Arizona RV Service

We who criticize CW, have ample reason too. It's not just conjecture, it's based on our fellow RV'ers evaluations and reviews.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Too many generalizations about Camping World. I have had some good work and some less thrilling but that has been the case with all three of the dealers I have dealt with in the past 15 years. Specifics are great but it is just not right to paint with such a broad brush.

I would agree. When Camping World came to town a couple of the less reputable dealers went out of business.

Several friends of ours have done serious research on prices and service within a 500 mile area before making purchases. In most cases the local Camping World was able to beat the others in both pricing and service. We haven't purchased a motorhome from them, but have purchased several expensive replacement parts and accessories. In all cases they were the price leader, and performed great service.

Each store is run as an independent entity. Bashing all Camping Worlds as being poorly run is in the same arena as bashing all McDonalds, Wal-Mart's, Home Depots, or Lowes as poorly run because you had a bad experience with one out of 2,000.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Too many generalizations about Camping World. I have had some good work and some less thrilling but that has been the case with all three of the dealers I have dealt with in the past 15 years. Specifics are great but it is just not right to paint with such a broad brush.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
The best advice so far has been to check online for other units equipped the same. I've seen cases where a local dealer (not Camping World) was making their own "factory invoices" complete with the manufacturer's logo and MSRP. Unfortunately they were taking liberties with the MSRP by inflating it several thousand dollars over the actual manufacturer's MSRP. The only way we caught it was by going to other dealers and asking the MSRP on identically equipped motorhomes.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Before making any major purchase you must educate yourself on how that industry works or overpay terribly.

Absolutely and throwing a post up without any detail to even comment on probably doesn't count as diligence. Maybe at least share what mfg/model you are looking at and we can do some leg work for you on weather it's a good deal or not.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
lcseds wrote:
Folks here say avoid Camping World and use a local dealer. Her in NC, a majority of the local dealers have become Camping World in recent years. Does this mean overnight the sales and service went downhill? It's hard to imagine painting CW as the place not to go. These were the mom and pop dealers not long ago that succumbed to the economic downturn years ago and agreed to be "sponsored". Not trying to get an argument going, I just don't understand how they can be so bad and stay in business.

Yes, I have read a couple occasions where CW took over a local dealership and service quality suffered as a result. I have read the opposite too. For areas where a 'majority' of them have become CWs, I don't know?

But I do know if I needed service anywhere in the US I'd quickly check RVServiceReviews.com (RVSR) before going to any CW. Even if I was just across the street from CW. Just heard far too many horror stories about CW over the last 14 years to ever take my RV to them.

RVSR is my go to resource for service when on the road. Sometimes I'll have to drive a few miles to get to a good shop, but it's better than going to a chain that has consistently bad reviews.

Other than being a fan and user of RVServiceReviews, I have no association with them.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Folks here say avoid Camping World and use a local dealer. Her in NC, a majority of the local dealers have become Camping World in recent years. Does this mean overnight the sales and service went downhill? It's hard to imagine painting CW as the place not to go. These were the mom and pop dealers not long ago that succumbed to the economic downturn years ago and agreed to be "sponsored". Not trying to get an argument going, I just don't understand how they can be so bad and stay in business.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Even Costco is 20% higher than what my wife can negotiate. I'd never buy a Ford that was as they get the same discount as Veterans. 10% The best way is to find 3 and play the field til you drive them crazy and one sell it for what you want. We have saved thousands on cars and trucks by doing it that way and we wait til the last day of Feb to buy then go to the dealer at 6PM and eat our takeaway supper there, watching them sweat. The we tell the salesman, "Oh, we already bought the car, we're here to close the paperwork.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
I see a lot of folks slamming the CW service but I wouldn't let that keep me from getting a good deal and taking my service elsewhere.

I agree. We bought ours at CW and were very happy. Just don't take it there for repairs.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Before making any major purchase you must educate yourself on how that industry works or overpay terribly.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

eagle281
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World is not the place I would want to buy one. After you have bought it good luck on getting any service even warranty service.
I know people who finally gave up on getting warranty service and paid out of their on pockets to get things repaired.
Camping World is a great place to buy accessories.
DURAMAX/ALLISON
DURANGO 2500 325

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
Dang $59k is the price for just a 35 series pickup now days.

I've seen Ford F350s and Chev 3500s for over $70K

moleary
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you're planning on trading your class A, but if you are it wouldn't surprise me if the dealer didn't use the original price as the asking price when they make your an offer on the trade. When I was negotiating for my last motorhome the dealer's cash price was considerably lower than the trade in price. In the end, it's all about the difference between the two. In my case they offered me a ridiculously high trade in value. Way more than it was really worth. By the time it was all said and done, I probably paid a little more that I would have if I would have sold my Class A myself. It was a sacrifice I was willing to accept for the convenience of not having to sell my old motorhome myself.
2012 Winnebago Tour 42 QD
ISL 450