cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canopies

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 1996 Roadtrek 210 Popular. It does not have an awning which is fine with me because that will make it easier to unhook and tour the sites while visiting a new area. I would, however, like to have some sort of canopy at the campsite 1) to sit under and 2) to make it known the campsite is occupied when I do leave for a while.

What have you guys found that works well and can be set up by one person? I will often be traveling alone.

I have a cheap Kmart dining canopy that packs away small, but I don't think it could be set up by one person. I also have a Quest brand ez-up style that I have never opened. I bought it recently and am considering taking it back because it is so large when folded up. Space in the Roadtrek is at a premium.

Suggestions?
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine L’Engle
10 REPLIES 10

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 10x10 EZ-Up type collapsible canopy. It works good and is easy to set up and tear down and stores in a bag the size of a large duffel bag. I think it was about $75.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I'm going to see if the Quest will fit in there ok. It's just like an ez up, but cheaper. I've never seen a restriction on free standing canopies either. Most of the places I stay aren't fancy, so I think I will be ok.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine L’Engle

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
A 10' ez-up can be handles by one person, and packs into a small bag.

X2, I can put up our 10' EZ UP pretty easily.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our Roadtrek 210P we used a 9x9 dining canopy we put up over the picnic table. We bought it at Tractor Supply on sale for twenty bucks! We also carried a ten by ten screen house we bought at Walmart for about $40 bucks. Both were light weight and easily put up by one person. One or two people don't need a huge shelter. Both of these were very small and light weight, easily stored under the rear seat along with more junk than you can imagine!

We were more concerned with weight and size than fancy. Worked well for years and still have them both.....keep them for when we tire of the hassle of a C and move back to a B.

Paul
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
I've been camping for 20yrs, mostly in the eastern side of the country. I've never heard of a restriction on free standing canopies, and see them all the time in many campsites. Perhaps its different elsewhere, but seems like a rather odd restriction. I can see the rationale behind a restriction for tying up tarps between trees and such as a canopy, but not for a free standing one.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the CG you are going to stay at. In my travels as a full timer 'MANY' CG's do not allow you to put up any type of canopy.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to do the same thing with my OFF-ROAD POPUP Tent Trailer. The $600 Awning is on its last leg now and no way do I want to spend $600 for a new one... $78 for a 10X8 Portable Canopy from LOWES or Amazon is a big difference from $600.

I think I can add a couple of brackets on the roof side on the patio side and after I crank up the roof I can slip one of those tent canopies into to it and do the same thing... The height will have to clear my trailer entrance door so I may have to do some engineering to make it work... I would want the canopy to be flush with the raised POPUP roof to keep any rain runoff to a different direction instead of pouring down around the entrance door to the trailer.... I'm sure I can add some sort of rain gutter to do this...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some van canopies on YouTube. I might give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=van+canopy
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 12'x12' that has two additional half sides that you can either fold down to block the sun when it's low in the sky or raise them up to make it 12'x18'. We purchased it at Dick's Sporting Goods three years ago. Paid close to $200. Still looks and works great
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
A 10' ez-up can be handles by one person, and packs into a small bag.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.