cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carpet driving me to maybe buy a diesel-is that nuts?

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Safari Simba 38'gas. We like the appearance. We like the floor plan. Have had very few problems with it, but the carpeting drives me nuts. Trying to keep it clean is never ending and losing battle. Every time I walk in all I can see is marks in the carpeting. I know I can change it out, but what to do around engine compartment. I look at the clean lines of a diesel and think that is the look I want. It seems somewhat foolish to trade in a motorhome I like to purchase a more expensive one just because I don't like the carpet. What are some of my other options?
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
17 REPLIES 17

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
havasu- please post a photo of the doghouse in leather. I think that would be way cool!!
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
If I could make it to Texas, Ernie would be doing my wood floor in glue down engineered bamboo - he is THE Expert in this.

However I'm having the engine hump done in stitched brown leather - just so happens I do some work for a Leather company!!

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
I do it-I'm kinda professional:)
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing that's important is what you like, our opinions really aren't worth squat. Rationalize it anyway you want but if you're not happy it's a long rough road.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobkatmsu wrote:
We have a 2007 Safari Simba 38'gas. We like the appearance. We like the floor plan. Have had very few problems with it, but the carpeting drives me nuts. Trying to keep it clean is never ending and losing battle. Every time I walk in all I can see is marks in the carpeting. I know I can change it out, but what to do around engine compartment. I look at the clean lines of a diesel and think that is the look I want. It seems somewhat foolish to trade in a motorhome I like to purchase a more expensive one just because I don't like the carpet. What are some of my other options?

Apply duct tape all over it. Clean lines. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that carpet on the engine cover has more noise & temperature insulating qualities than laminate or similar product.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
My .02 cents is to buy a dp on a Prevost chassis.
2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! Just get it re-carpeted or remove it entirely.

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Any upholstery shop can put carpet around the engine cover. It is not that difficult.

Yep, I've even seen an engine cover that was redone with the same wood laminate that was used on the floor. It looked good, although not to my taste.
I guess wood laminate over the engine is what I was looking for. I have never seen that. If that could be done I think that would solve my complaint. My wife tends to agree with the writers that think I'm just looking for an excuse to get a DP and there may be some truth to that. I have a hard time justifying a DP while I'm still working. We just don't drive that many miles. I've only been out of the state of Fla once in the past 4 yrs. I am supposed to semi-retire sometime next year and we will see how that goes. If I can get on the road more I would go for the DP. Until then I'll look into laminate floors.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
A professional carpet installer can recover the hump. Lets face it, it got covered before.... ๐Ÿ˜‰
I watched a carpet installer re-carpet a MH in Palm Springs and he covered the hump on the picnic table in about an hour. Did a great job. So don't let that hold you back from recarpeting....but I think you really want that DP ๐Ÿ™‚
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
They are doing away wiith carpeting more & more in RVs. We put a throw rug over engine compartment. Helps keep it clean.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want and can afford a new Diesel Pusher.... Buy it. No need to justify it to us.

RV'ing is difficult to quantify financially. We all pay fairly big money to be in this HOBBY. Do want brings you the most relaxation and the most pleasure that you can afford.

To put things in perspective... I am aspiring to be where you are now. But I am not there yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like an excuse for a new motorhome. Go for it. Or have a carpet place redo your stuff and buy the plastic protection you see on new RV's . You can buy it on a roll at an RV parts store. It has sticky on one side and comes off easily.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Any upholstery shop can put carpet around the engine cover. It is not that difficult.

Yep, I've even seen an engine cover that was redone with the same wood laminate that was used on the floor. It looked good, although not to my taste.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate