cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone booster

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
While traveling in my RV I still need to have internet for work.
I use my cell phone as a hot spot.
As you all know some places, like Valley of Fire State Park, reception can be only 1 bar.
What is the best cell phone booster that actually works?
I would prefer something I can plug in to 12V in case we are parked somewhere we dont have 110.
Thanks!
BeaverCamper (2019 Coachmen Leprechaun 260 DS)
11 REPLIES 11

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
I've been using a Wilson Sleek in conjunction with a Wilson Yagi antenna. I've been quite pleased with the performance. The Yagi provides much more gain than the little rubber duckie that comes with the Sleek. FYI, the Yagi does have to be aimed towards a cell tower with the rubber duckie doesn't.

Glad to see your post. I've been using a Sleek a couple of years and just ordered a Yagi antenna to add to my capabilities when necessary. Last year we were in a few spots where we needed just a bit more than the Sleek alone and I think the Yagi will make the needed difference. In fact, we're in just that situation where we are right now. Should have gotten the Yagi today but bad weather delayed the shipment. I should be in business with it the first part of the week.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

SueDave
Explorer
Explorer
We have had Wison Sleek at least 3 years, do remote camping ( coast to coast)and hosting in out of the way areas. We have gone from zero signal to 4 bars, great phone reception and very good data. We have both small antenna and the trucker antenna. Follow set up instructions.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another Wilson user, have an older 3G booster (phone registers HSPA+) connected to a trucker antenna. I attach the trucker antenna to the slide-out awning bracket temporarily so get good height. My setup is temporary for when I need it, otherwise it's stored away. I've had the experience that if the phone by itself registers the carrier anywhere nearby I can get enough signal to at least send/receive a text message with the booster setup.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Wilson booster for the same reason, works well. I made a small metal bracket and clamped it on the top of our ladder for our magnetic antenna. On our old trailer we ran the antenna wire through a crank out window. Our new trailer does not have that option so we route the cable through the slide seal . Before the slide is fully extended it is very easy to route the cable through and then we finish extending the slide.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
I have the AC/DC Wilson 4G booster but with the small antenna and enjoy the ability to go from one bar to four bars in nominal signal areas.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Wilson wireless and a trucker antenna. Trucker antennas are about $40 so don't break the bank.
I bought the wireless from a seller on ebay for about half price at the time and it works to boost cell phone reception but as said above about 35 db at the best performance and it is not always that good--I have my phone set to show numbers instead of bars.
When I had a Verizon hot spot I thought it boosted that too, but switched to an iphone with internal hot spot and T Mobile unlimited wireless and I noticed during much of our travels in New Mexico we had only E (EDGE about modem speed) connection to the internet which is very slow by today's standards and won't support hot spot for my computer. (I read that turning on and off airplane mode helps to reset the connection while traveling--to find a better signal if it is available.)
Since we sometimes travel off road, my trucker antenna is mounted to the ladder where I can turn it down below the top of the RV to protect it, and I brought the wire through the floor at the rear gas pipe under the stove. I put in an extra 12 volt outlet next to the kitchen sink for its power.
The inside wireless antenna is mounted above the dinette. It is a flat oval disc that sticks to the wall.
I think the expense, given that we use internet a lot was worth it. Some folks who travel full time and work on the road get satellite internet. That will work while parked much better. I have not seen in motion satellite internet but it must exist now. Last I looked the satellite subscriptions were about $79 a month but you had to buy the gear too.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rwbradley wrote:

Are you using it with one of the bigger antenna's like the trucker antenna?
no just the one in the box. I wanted to use my 15" one, but I'll need an adapter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have multiple Wilson Electronics boosters. The name change to Weboost came with a price increase. You can still find the Wilson branded products on Amazon and other retailers. As stated they are not magic. With Verizon, I average 18db gain using the Sleek.

I also have a Wilson Mobile 4G capable of upto 5 devices. While advertised at 50db, I usually see 35db gain. Best gain only possible when your device is very close to the internal antenna. The Mobile 4G has a 5ft area from the internal antenna. Anything more than 1ft from the internal antenna will see signal gain decrease.

Not sure if Wilson Electronics/Weboost can accommodate the new Sprint Spark 4G. The older Sprint 4G should be ok.

Wilson prices fluctuate on Amazon. The first link I posted for the Sleek all 4G, 3G and 1x was $125 a few weeks ago. Seems to be $148 right now. Second link is the 5 device Mobile 4G. Expect to pay about $80 extra for the Weboost label.

Wilson General Purpose 4G on Amazon

Wilson Mobile 4G on Amazon

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I just bought the upgraded version of the Sleek, from the Weboost company, aka Wilson. It runs on 12v.

It kinda works. I see no increase in bars on 4g on the signal strength, but I do get somewhat of a better page loading speed. I've been buying stuff like this for years. Even fashioned a 15' long pole to hoist up on the roof. I just haven't found anything that really works that's worth bragging about.

Are you using it with one of the bigger antenna's like the trucker antenna? All the bigger antennas give you additional gain for all bands except the one T-Mobile uses for much of their 4G, in fact they claim a signal loss of about -4db for that band. The little stubby antenna that comes in the box with the Sleek is the only antenna they sell that claims any real gain on the T-Mobile 4G band. Also if you are using it close to a cell tower you will likely not see any improvement either.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a Wilson Sleek in conjunction with a Wilson Yagi antenna. I've been quite pleased with the performance. The Yagi provides much more gain than the little rubber duckie that comes with the Sleek. FYI, the Yagi does have to be aimed towards a cell tower with the rubber duckie doesn't.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just bought the upgraded version of the Sleek, from the Weboost company, aka Wilson. It runs on 12v.

It kinda works. I see no increase in bars on 4g on the signal strength, but I do get somewhat of a better page loading speed. I've been buying stuff like this for years. Even fashioned a 15' long pole to hoist up on the roof. I just haven't found anything that really works that's worth bragging about.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman