cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing your own oil - is it worth it?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have owned a MH I have a local dealership do the oil changes. On the Ford v-10 I have them do full synthetic and I get it done @7500 miles. The price is reasonable I think but I do have to drive it in, drive it home etc which can be a bit of a hassle. I have always done the gen set myself since it only takes 1.5 qts. I was wondering, by the time I buy the oil, filter, crawl under and over the engine to change it then figure out some way to dispose of the old oil, is it worth it? I think by the time I buy materials and my own labor I am not certain it’s even worth trying to save what would be about $20-30.00. I am not ill equipped but I am not a shop with a lift either. I don’t do my own truck either. Already figured out that the price I get to get that done with a free rotation in 15 minutes is way more cost effective to have them do it. I do however do my own tractor, simply because the hassle of dragging it somewhere would cost more. Anyway, what’s your thought on doing your own MH?
2013 ACE 29.2
75 REPLIES 75

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Even if it was less expensive to have someone else do it, I'd still do it myself. I don't trust anyone working on my vehicles, no matter how simple the job. I have friends that have had "professionals" strip out the drain plugs and even install new filters over the old O-ring that stuck to the block, resulting in a leak down the road.

When it comes time that I am physically unable to do all my own work, I'll evaluate whether or not I want to keep the RV because that may be the time for me to get out.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do all of my diesel engines as I buy Shell R T by the 55 gallon drums. I recently started letting WalMart change my cars for $30. Last month I made the mistake of taking my toad into a Jiffy Lube. Unfortunately they had a $10 off coupon when I started to drive away and go to WalMart. $41- $10 for 5 quarts and filter. The number of non necessary items they got people to buy was unbelievable in the 45 minutes it took them. Tried to get me to buy a new serpentine belt as mine has some cracks on the inside. They even tried to get me for over 5 quarts but I know it only takes 4.25. Had to get out my manual as their computer said it took 5.30. How surprising, it was NOT a quart overfilled. I now remember why I used to change all of my own oil.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

rcmiller32
Explorer
Explorer
Will be doing it myself. Have the tools and supplies. Will be switching over to all synthetic fluids as I change them. Like to check things like the brakes and torgue the lug nuts. Dealers only look at how fast they can get it done and how much they can make. Not getting it done right.
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
Member FROG, FMCA, Life Member Good Sam Club, Member Coachmen Owners Association

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can afford to pay someone else, but I still do it myself, especially since it is in my own garage. It gives me a chance to lube the chassis, inspect the tires, and inspect everything underneath the entire coach for other things that need attention.
The whole job usually takes me 30 minutes or so and I can crawl out knowing that I did not miss any lube points, I installed the filter correctly, and that everything else is ready for the next trip. I have never found a mechanic that can give me that same piece of mind.

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
1/2 hr of my time to do it at my convenience. No need to take the beast 10 miles down the road, wait for 2 hrs while they do the paperwork, drive it in the bay when they have someone to do it etc.

charles
Explorer
Explorer
I do.it myself to be sure it is done right and no grease fittings are missed, it is a inconvenience having someone else do it, and I don't have to worry about finding a dent or scratches from someone being careless. Cost has nothing to do with it.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO, it's a lot easier to pull out my VISA than it is to spend an hour crawling under my coach.

It costs $288 at Speedco to change the oil, (42 quarts) both oil filters, both fuel filters, lube the coach completely, check the SCA in the coolant, adding any if necessary and disposing of everything. I'm allowed in the 'pit' if I so desire and they require me to witness and sign off on all the torquing of the drain plugs and filters. I also have to witness and verify the oil levels prior to them buttoning up the entire process.

To me, it's a no brainer. We combine the annual service appointment with a weeklong get-a-way from our 'winter' home......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I have it done, and I stand there while they do it to make sure all the old oil drains out and that everything is done correctly!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
For now we're putting less then 5000 mile a year on our unit and with it needing state inspection every year I just combine the 2 into 1 appointment. Have to drive it in for the inspection so it's just as easier to just let them do the lube, oil and filter at the same time.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Very easy job and I get rid of the oil at the parts store down the street. I know it is done right and I can inspect the oil as it pours out. I would still change my own oil if it were more expensive.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
To me changing the oil myself is a matter of convenience not cost savings. Our local Ford dealer will do it for less than $50.00 and it costs nearly the same if I buy full synthetic and a Mtorcraft filter. The only real savings is I don't have to do it on their schedule. However it is a lot easier to have them do it when the temperature is below zero, there's 3 feet of snow in the drive or it's pouring down rain.

Most of the time they do the oil change in a stall without a hoist. A mechanic slides under on a creeper and uses a drain pan that sets flat on the floor. The only lifting involved is when they put a floor jack under each front wheel to unload the king pins for greasing.

Money wise it's a wash either way. When I do it myself I get the chance to personally inspect everything under the hood and chassis. I'm sure the mechanic does the multi-point inspection, but I still prefer a hands on approach from time to time.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

RDG
Explorer
Explorer
$36.00 at my Ford dealer. Not worth my time to do it myself.
2001 Forest River Georgetown 346S Motorhome

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
Oil service on both the MH and Genny runs me just about $300 at a garage. Doing it for the first time myself last spring barely broke $100.

Disposing of the used oil was as easy as driving over to the local oil changers down the street on the way home from my storage.

That seems really high. I don't think I pay $100.00 I have to pull out a bill but it wasn't a lot of money.
2013 ACE 29.2

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a dirty, messy job I wouldn't even consider, although many do not just for saving a bit of money, but insuring the job is done right.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dalehelman
Explorer
Explorer
I always do my own. That way I know it is done right. It also saves me money.
Dale & Sandi
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2015 Little Guy T@B Sofitel
Liberty Lake (Spokane) WA.

DIY Manual replacement for Workhorse Auto Park emergency brake.

Stay In Play Duo Toad Braking System