Explorer
I have found ads on CL like this one

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/rvs/5018547540.html

scam? sounds TOO cheap.
36 REPLIES 36

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
as noted above - Craigslist Email service ... makes an anonymous email address that gets forwarded to your registered email.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
I'm amazed you manage to sell things without giving buyers some way to contact you. (I guess you use the CL anonymous email or something similar?) Anyhow, what safety concerns do you have with people getting your email or telephoneโ€”I mean, it could lead to annoyance or even harassment, but unsafeness?

I also sell on CL and do not leave public contact information. You can contact me through the Craig's List email service.

The safety concerns are if you tell someone you have something nice and you provide information that lets them know where it is they may just decide to come steal it or see what other nice things you might have to steal.

How do you contact the buyer to make the deal and sell it?

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm amazed you manage to sell things without giving buyers some way to contact you. (I guess you use the CL anonymous email or something similar?) Anyhow, what safety concerns do you have with people getting your email or telephoneโ€”I mean, it could lead to annoyance or even harassment, but unsafeness?

I also sell on CL and do not leave public contact information. You can contact me through the Craig's List email service.

The safety concerns are if you tell someone you have something nice and you provide information that lets them know where it is they may just decide to come steal it or see what other nice things you might have to steal.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Horror stories run our lives. Several years ago an older lady in Phoenix was selling a very nice RV after her husband died. A couple came and wanted a test drive and she went with them. They drove away, ended up murdering her and left with the RV. Talk about horrible. Don't think it was craigslist though, just a classified ad. Remember those? Caution must be taken in life but can't let it determine all our actions--we would never do anything or go anywhere.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
I sold a 240Z and our 2004 Journey on Craigs List. You can usually tell if someone is a scammer, that same Class C was on our Craigs List several weeks ago. I emailed where could I see it and got the old shipping routine lol
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sold our last TT on CL to a guy from eastern WA. He brought a buddy with him & bought the TT that day. I figured that was pretty gutsy until i discovered they were both retired State Troopers. Scammers beware, you never know who you are dealing with. It was an easy sale & I even gave him a 2 week guarantee to get everything checked out.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of the horror story in Georgia...retired fellow about my age coming up on 70 he wanted a 65 mustang too much...he drove to south georgia the criminal lured him to an old farm with his wife and he killed both of them and no mustang..
the hoodlum is caught but ....take a friend and if things go sour...be ready...just in case it is a fantastic deal great!!!

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly nice folks using craigslist in my experience. Bought our RV from an ad. Always some scammers, right? That RV/car scam is several years old, and they don't have to get a "sale" to pick up plenty of info about you, email address first, then perhaps phone number etc. I have had a couple of times responding to an ad where I just didn't feel right about it. Three times I ask the same question with no response, just come look, or the location of the item changing. If it feels weird, no need to follow through, there are so many sellers to choose from.
Craigslist now has the contact info "hidden" in the reply. Several folks still spell part of their phone numbers to avoid bots. I have an out of state area code and that will increase. Just didn't want everyone I know to lose my number. Keeping the same number was just easier.
Good luck with your search, your perfect RV is just waiting to be found.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We/I had been looking for a different home for many years. I had 4 things that I wanted in our new, to us, home.
After the many years of looking, I found one on, of all places, Craigslist. I had 4 things that I wanted in a new place, we got 3 of the 4. We've been in the new place for 2-1/2 years.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used foosball table off CL. That's about it. Too much signal to noise ratio for any type of item that's serious money - car, truck, rv, etc.

Would never list anything on CL. Have heard way too many horror stories from friends and family, forget about what I've read online.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

zippyphil
Explorer
Explorer
Robin1953 wrote:
zippyphil wrote:
Robin1953 I did the same.
Did you get a response? I haven't...:B

nope, not a word.

zippyphil
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
That is the official monetary exchange rate with Nigeria money probably

LOL!

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
I got lucky on my 1988 Truck Camper and 1989 Ford Truck Purchase off of Craigslist. The owner was moving to Hawaii and needed to sell. He was asking $3500 and ended up selling it to me for $2500. Everything was completely legit. I bought it in 2009 and still have it.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
zippyphil wrote:
Robin1953 I did the same.
Did you get a response? I haven't...:B
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins