cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Gasser and Mountain Travel

JCGibson
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting to know from current or previous Class A gas owners on how their coach did going through the mountains and particularly descending grades. With my current setup, our Dodge pickup has an exhaust brake (I know DPs have them also), but does a gasser have anything similar or do you just downshift and brake?

Thanks.

John
John (USAF Retired) Cheryl (Mid School Teacher)
'16 Newmar Ventana 3709 Sold
'16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA traded
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab sold
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL sold
'12 Voltage V3200 sold
'09 BigHorn 3400 sold
'06 Jayco Octane sold
'04 Jayco Baja sold
21 REPLIES 21

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
Diesels need jake brakes or similar as there is no throttle plate, and thus no vacuum braking. We have pulled our 5000 lb over and down some 10,000 ft passes without problems. Just start down slowly and use the gear you climbed the hill in.
Bingo, was just wondering if someone would point this out. Yep, when you close the throttle, there is a lot of resistance to the engine turning over.
IRV2

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
I also have an F-53 and tow/haul does work well. Elevation isn't the culprit, it's the grades. I've done some 8% in the area near Salt River Canyon to GLobe and it only takes a minimal amount of braking to keep speed under control. I never felt I was close to the brakes becoming ineffective. The V-10 winds up to 5000 RPM and sounds like I'm driving a Cup car at times, but it does work.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a huge fan of the Tow/Haul feature on my F-53. I've been towing a minivan through mountains and have been thoroughly impressed every time.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids

Explorer
Explorer
Diesels need jake brakes or similar as there is no throttle plate, and thus no vacuum braking. We have pulled our 5000 lb over and down some 10,000 ft passes without problems. Just start down slowly and use the gear you climbed the hill in.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I did Teton Pass from Idaho into Jackson in a 99 Pace Arrow F53.
First gear at 15 mph most of the way, 25 minutes up, 25 minutes down. Scariest ride ever!
But she made it.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We did Beartooh Pass (10,947 feet) West to East while towing the CR-V last fall in a thunderstorm as it was getting dark. I just love the grade brake!

Beartooth Pass Images
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Branson Gasser story: "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can", repeat as necessary. Last verse: "I thought I could..."
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Tow Haul works great on the down side of a mountain. If you are comming down too fast, just tap the brake and it drops down 1 gear and since the transmission is computer controlled, it won't allow you to over rev. Going up the mountain is never a problem for the newer V-10's
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from Branson Area, with a 30'gasser and an HHR toad. Ran US65 in and out. ran RPMs up to 4000 uphill, switch out of overdrive going down, light touch on brakes occasionaly. Tried to build speed downhill, stomp power at the bottom, try to get to top of next. Stay out of the way of 4-wheeler locals.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from Branson Area, with a 30'gasser and an HHR toad. Ran US65 in and out. ran RPMs up to 4000 uphill, switch out of overdrive going down, light touch on brakes occasionaly. Tried to build speed downhill, stomp power at the bottom, try to get to top of next. Stay out of the way of 4-wheeler locals.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I just down shift and brake lightly.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I have a grade brake with my Allison 6-speed transmission that shifts down when the brake pedal is tapped. It works great. My wife is tired of hearing me say: "I just love the grade brake!"
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

JCGibson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the responses. I was wondering about the tow-haul mode. I am glad that does help some. Really wouldn't want to have to use the Semi-truck runoff area. Thanks again!

John
John (USAF Retired) Cheryl (Mid School Teacher)
'16 Newmar Ventana 3709 Sold
'16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA traded
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab sold
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL sold
'12 Voltage V3200 sold
'09 BigHorn 3400 sold
'06 Jayco Octane sold
'04 Jayco Baja sold

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
The newer F53s have a very nice brake assist in the tow-haul mode. It even helps at exits and stop signs. It downshifts for you!
This. It works very well even when towing. We do nothing but mountain driving in ours and it does very well (people here had me thinking it would be a total dog...it isn't). The rig has not slowed down lower than 40 mph in our drives and I don't push it either.