cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A towing

Smitty64
Explorer
Explorer
New to Class A travel and looking for dingy recommendations. I have been looking at Jeep Wrangler, Subaru Forester, and Honda CRV. Looking to tow 4 down
38 REPLIES 38

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I tow an '87 Subaru Brat. 2,600 lbs and can't hardly tell it is back there. I called Subaru about towing four down and they said that it is fine with the manual shifts, but not ok with the automatics.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a Honda Odyssey for eight years and was an easy hook up. We like bigger vehicles for our toad and everyday living so now we tow a 12 Explorer 4WD and love it. I had a SMI brake system on the Honda but now use RVi Brake system because it is a non-invasive system.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a Jeep Wrangler for four years. It was the absolute easiest thing to hook up! There is no steering wheel lock so you don't have to leave a key in the ignition. They are built perfectly gorgeous the job. DH and I could together hook or unhook in about 5 minutes. I towed it up north 2 hrs several times by myself, even alone I could hook and unhook in 10-15 minutes.
We just replaced it this Spring with a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Ride is smoother for DH for his daily driver. Hooks just as easy! No key, no starting every 4 hrs or 500 miles. Easy as can be.
We use. Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain tow bar and base plates and a InvisiBrake aux braking system
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Wrangler and Equinox are both very easy. Wrangler does not get good fuel mileage but great on western trips. Equinox gets excellent mileage and is a daily driver. Demco base plate was easy on both. Equinox has steering lock and fuse issue, and Wrangler does not have steering lock and I can put the key in my pocket while towing it. It depends on one's needs. I got 2 great toads.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went from an HHR...easy tow...remove one fuse and go....to our new Equinox...same deal...remove one fuse and go....I put a toggle switch on the fuse so I don't even have to remove it...just flip the switch and I'm off....mileage does not register while towing....HHR was 3100 pounds, the Equinox is 3777, but I haven't had it on the scales yet...lastly, look into the ReadyBrute system from Night Shift Auto...it incorporates a piston in the tow bar that works as a braking system for your towed vehicle. Nothing extra to buy......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 Ford C Max hybrid. The car connects with a Blue Ox tow bar, baseplate and Patriot brake box. Gets great mileage, rides ands handles great. Easy to get in and out.

Really like this car.

Smitty64
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, looking for something that is easy to hook up and disconnect without having to do a lot of extra things to keep gears lubed and protect the transmission.

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Honda CRV (2003) that works great. I use the Ready Brute Elite towbar/braking system. It is high quality construction and works quite well on flat open highways, mountain driving in the west, and twisty turny roads in the east. This is coupled with a Blue Ox baseplate.

The Honda is easy to tow. I just hook 'er up, run the transmission through all gears, then turn off everything inside but leave the key in the Acc position so the steering wheel stays unlocked. I start the engine every 4 hrs or so and run the gears for a few minutes to keep the tranny lubricated.

I'm don't have familiarity towing your other choices, but for us the CRV works great.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
All of the one's you mentioned are good. You could say for towing they are pretty much equal. Assuming that you will use it for other than just towing, which one do you want to use for example as a daily driver? Answer that question and I think you have the answer to your question.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler